healthy hamburger?

Options
13»

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    THAT looks tasty but I don't know if I could finish it!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If you like a thick burger, you can mix the hamburger mead with finely chopped mushrooms (and onions and bell pepper if you like them--I don't). This will bulk up the size and still taste great.

What I do is make a smaller, thinner patty and then sautee mushrooms to put on top--again, to bulk it up with few added calories. Mushrooms sauteed in the burger pan are delicious.
    Have done this and it's wonderful..
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For the record, if there's cheese on it, it's not a hamburger. Adding cheese makes it a cheeseburger. :devil:

Carry on.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What others have said - lettuce wrap. Rarely do I eat an actual bun anymore. I don't think the bun itself is all *that* good that I feel like wasting precious calories on one.

I don't eat lettuce. I would eat it plain on the plate with a fork first. Lettuce is no good for digestion.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Here's a healthy one I made this week

IMG_20140429_182844.jpg

Drooling. Thanks

+1 on the drooling - We are having burgers tonight, actually, this just makes me look forward to it more :)
  • rmagaman
    rmagaman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like using seasonings weber makes great mixes and they have it for burgers which also has no calories. I then use the hidden valley sandwich spreads which are low in calories 35 per tablespoon and I like the weight watchers cheese for 1/3 of a cup its around 70 calories. they make 80 calorie hamburger buns.if you like bacon the low sodium bacon is 70 calories for 2 slices.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Low-calorie is about serving size. Use 3-4oz beef per person for all your recipes, load with veggies for volume, and you'll be fine :)

You can make a delicious shepherd's pie with ground beef, diced carrots, peas, onion, diced parsnip, and some powdered beef stock. Stew it all together for a while and top with 50/50 cauliflower mashed potato blend, then bake in the oven.

You can also look up veggie-and-bean-loaded chili recipes, and add less ground beef than the recipe calls for.

Make a spaghetti sauce with it - canned tomatoes are v. low calorie, add red bell pepper and carrots as filler, season with oregano, thyme and basil, and serve on 2oz of whole wheat pasta (or that veggie spaghetti stuff if you're cutting carbs).

You can also do mini cheeseburgers and sweet potato fries, or a giant salad (with the salad as the main, and the cheeseburger/fries as the side).

Good luck!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here is a great soup. Drain the beef of fat after browning.: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/spicy-beef-vegetable-soup.html

Here is Taco Lettuce Wraps you could make it more cheeseburger like just omit taco seasoning, and substitue thousand island or russian dressing for the creamy mexican dressing. : http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/08/taco-lettuce-wraps-with-creamy-mexican.html
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you're worrying about low cal and you're using 73/27 hamburger meat, you're doing it wrong.

When I was younger I was a fan of making the burger, mixing in the things like onions and seasonings with the meat, and then just eating it with a fork and some ketchup like meatloaf. You can also use just half of the bun, or a lettuce wrap. Put cheese on it or not depending on how many calories the other stuff is. If you're just trying to keep the burger under 500 calories, that shouldn't be too hard.
    that particular hamburger meat is all we can afford right now. we get a discount buying it in larger bundles

Ah, I was wondering. I make the same burgers as before, just log them.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Turkey instead of beef
    no mayo
    no cheese, or lowfat cheese
    lettuce wrap instead of bun
    lots of veggies like bell peppers, onions, mushrooms

that should do it.

Edit - just saw the above about cost of meat. I think it would still be under 500 cals with ground beef if you do the rest of the above.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    http://wellnessmama.com/2207/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/
    I like this stuff. You can modify the recipe a lot or not.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Instead of using hamburger grab a can of black beans drain and rinse them then dry them and food process it up with spices and some bread crumbs and you have yourself a healthy "hamburger". I always skip the bread or use lettuce or a flat thin. I have a really good black bean burger recipe if your interested my husband who is a meat lover really liked these and my son asks me to make it all the time and he won't eat beans. I just never told them its made with black beans. A can of black beans are way less expensive than hamburger.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Brown it and drain the fat, then add whatever you want to make a sauce and serve over spaghetti squash. You will be able to have a large plate full and even grate on a little fresh cheese for 500 cal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Stop buying 73/27. Get at least 90/10.

How would that make it healthier?

It would sure make it easier to prepare a 500 calorie dinner from it, don't you think?
  • jojokmack
    Options
    I substitute Beef for Turkey in every meal I make now. Shepherds Pie, Burgers, Bolognaise.....It cuts down on the calories A LOT, and I prefer the taste :) It is quicker to cook, AND there is no gristle or fatty bits in it :)
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well hey with the ratio on that meat, it's going to taste fantastic. If you really have to keep it under 500...

4oz (qtr pounder) - 320. Season with salt / pepper / garlic powder. Grill. That leaves you 180 to play with. Find a bun for 100-120 and stack veggies on to fill you up.

Let's be honest, with 80/20 and under, seasoned properly, and grilled to a nice medium, you aren't going to need to slop it with sauces to make it tolerable.

*edit.

Scrap the burgers and make tacos or taco salad if that's not enough food for you. 500 cal is a low restriction to be working with for a meat that's 320 for 4oz, but you can only play the hand you are dealt. It could be way worse.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    for 1lb beef, 1.5 tsp onion powder and garlic powder, Tbsp Worchester sauce, 1tsp adobo w/ pepper, 1tsp mortin's steak seasoning. mix it up 4oz of raw will make a 3 oz cooked. 204 calories for patty. Use 1/2 slice American Cheese (30 calories) Mustard, 14g avocado (22 calories), put it on a lettuce wrap (28g leaf 4 calories) . 256 calories total, have 3 oz baked french fries 120 calories, 9 oz or three 3 oz servings of green beans 75 calories.

total meal:451 calories.