I bought carrots... Forgot how gross they were

Options

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake? That or in muffins is really about the only way I will eat them. I did make a really excellent grain free carrot cake for Easter! Good luck trying to gag those nasty things down.
  • cpdiminish
    cpdiminish Posts: 84
    Options
    Slice up carrots into 1/4" thick discs. Melt a little bit of butter in the bottom of a pot, just enough to keep them from sticking. Add carrots, salt them a bit. Put on a lid and cook at the lowest temp you can.

Check back in 5-7 minutes, maybe stir them a bit. Should be done in 15 minutes, give or take depending on your temperature. Should be soft enough to stick a fork in, but not mushy.

The salt makes them "sweat" in the covered pot so that they kind of steam in their own juices. Ends up making them taste rather sweet, more like a dessert flavor.
  • cpdiminish
    cpdiminish Posts: 84
    Options
    I totally agree about baby-cut carrots not being as tasty as regular carrots mentioned previously.

But there is a type of carrot called a "baby carrot" which doesn't grow very large and is very sweet. But what they sell in the store is "baby-CUT carrots", just a way to sell the broken and misshapen carrots that aren't pretty enough for a regular bag.

Though I'm sure some people like the convenience, I don't like that they are already peeled which makes them go bad in about a week, while unpeeled carrots can last in my fridge for up to a month.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    EXCUSE ME?!???!!!!!
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Feed them to a rabbit and then eat the rabbit! That's how! (sorry sam...)(oh and don't kill me)
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    Feed them to a rabbit and then eat the rabbit! That's how! (sorry sam...)(oh and don't kill me)
    I don't like carrots lmao.
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Do you like rabbit?:smile:
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I prefer the regular carrots and peeling isn't that hard. I like with mint chutney or hummus. I'll have to try salsa as we make our own using fermented hot pepper sauce. It's really hot!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    For about 12 oz of thin sliced carrots ( a packet of carrot chips from Kroger) this was the recipe on the back
    1/4c water
    1/4c brown sugar
    1/4c honey
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg(fresh grated is best)
    1tbsp butter
    Pinch of kosher or Maldon salt
    3 1 inch lemon peels(just use your vegetable peeler to take a few slices off a lemon)
    Simmer til carrots tender and sauce syrupy
    Even people who hate carrots usually like this.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    grind with a food processor and cook in your spaghetti sauce..makes it less caloric and you do not even taste the carrots as the tomato over powers it...very healthy way to get your carrots :)
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My son hates anything vegetable so I have to sneak them in. I put grated carrot in spaghetti sauce (meatless or not)
    low fat carrot muffins, on salad, soups (puree if you have to!), chili (meatless or not)...I find pairing carrots with dill
    really good too. :)

That is what I did with my daughter as well...and I kinda like the carrot in the spaghetti sauce, which makes it stretch and is much healthier than regular sauce...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Cut into 1 inch pieces, wrap in foil, throw on a hot grill, check in about 10 minutes...take off the grill when little black specks start forming on the ends of the pieces, toss with a little butter, a pinch of salt and FRESH GRATED NUTMEG. Sweetest, softest, most melt in your mouth carrots ever.
  • KatherineLouise14
    KatherineLouise14 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hate them as well. I usually sauté them in brown sugar but it really doesn't help. I'll be honest...I soften them and choke them down.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat them. I don't. I think they are nasty. The rest of my family LOVES them.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots are amazing this topic makes 0 sense to me lol. Hummus was a good suggestion, ranch if your calories permit it.

If you don't like them, but need them in your diet you can shred them up and garnish a salad with them.

Edit: If you must cook carrots then cook them in bourbon. Something about whiskey and carrots is mind blowing.

Seriously? Carrots in bourbon?! I must try this!
    I second Moroccan dish, carrot/cumin combo, carrot/butter and sugar combo
    dont know if it was mentioned... butter, ginger, maple combo
    I love them shredded into some sort of slaw- bonus points if it has raisins!
    Hummus is disgusting and should never be consumed... blech

Carrots tequila and dill works too - sauté in a little butter and finish with tequila and dill - fantastic.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I do have yummy recipe for carrots, but eating them that way. doesnt help the fact that carrots are low in calorie LOL
    Carrot Halwa: Its indian dessert, mixed with loads of ghee(clarified butter), sugar and cream :P
    Google Carrot/Gajar halwa and you will see

Seriously - this dish is amazing! I've never made it but now that I know what it's called, I'll have to. I used to get it at a little hole in the wall in Flushing, NY, that was like 10 years ago and I still crave it :)
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    Do you like rabbit?:smile:
    Yes, rabbit with baby carrots is delicious. Ever try it with lamb?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Anybody know how to make carrots taste better?

YES! YES I DO!

ermahgerd finally I can put my hand up in class.

Roast them. They are fantastic. Roast carrots are divine. They take quite a long time in there though, not a quick roast, more like 3/4 - 1 hr. but delicious? to die for.
  • frankysgurl
    frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Probably my easiest / quickest way of cooking carrots is just steam them for 3-5 mins in the microwave. Drain, add 1-2 tsp of butter and dill seasoning, mix. Throw back in microwave for 1 min. Serve.

My children hate carrots but they always eat then this way, in fact they ask me to make it this way. You can also steam your carrots on the stove top and omit the microwave. This is just my quick fast way of cooking after a day of work.

I sometimes even mix it up and add cauliflower, broccoli or zucchini with the carrots.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    carrot cake