Would you take a appetite supressant from doc?

mytime6630
mytime6630 Posts: 4,186 Member
Yesterday I had my annual physical. While I am about 40 lbs overweight, I am not in the "obese" category - just overweight, with a BMI of about 29. I expressed to my doctor that I have been struggling with losing weight - I am 63 yrs old, and I lose weight very slowly, and tend to get discouraged. I exercise a lot, but I also know that part of this is because I do have days where I do eat too much. I try to write everything down, but somedays I don't, And, on those days, I do not measure of weigh my food. So I know, deep down, the fault is probably my own!!

But - he wrote me a prescript, told me the pills do not cost that much, and unlike "diet" pills, they will not raise my blood pressure, or have the bad effects that "Diet" pills do. So -- I picked up the pills, thinking, gee, why not! ( The doctor told me I would have those 40 lbs off in no time - the pills would make me just not hungry). So I'm thinking, this is a no-brainer. Why not get the extra help, get those lbs off, and then work hard to keep them off.

Well, I picked up the pills, and saw that they are actually pills to give someone to prevent them from having seizures! One of the side effects, is loss of appetite. The pills did only cost me $11.00, but now, I do not want to take them. I am scared of taking anything like this, much less for something it is not really intended for

I am a person that takes NO medications at all, and scared to take something where its intended use is to prevent seizures. He did tell me I might feel "spaced out" until I get used to them, but after a week I would be fine.

Am I being over cautious, especially since the doctor told me to take them.? I know I could get the weight off faster, but is this what I want or should do?

So today, the pills are unopened. I measured everything, stayed within my calories, and feel good. I drank a lot of water. Yes, I am very hungry, but won't I get used to being hungry, and eventually, the hunger, or what I think is hunger, will go away?

Any words of encouragement, and suggestions? I know so many of you have been so successful. I have a very hard time eating something considered "good", and not feeling like I am off my diet. I know I need to work on this as well.

Oh - the pills are "Topiramate - 25 mg". A very low dose, according to my doc. I trust my doct, been going to him for over 20 yrs, but just scared to take them.

Replies

• KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    May I ask what the name of the pills is? I once lost 45 pounds in around 3 months without really trying on pills I was taking for migraines (that were also used to treat seizures). If they're the same pills, I wouldn't recommend them solely for weight loss. They made me grumpy and, if you like soda at all, you won't after you've started them. They make anything carbonated taste like what I'd imagine moldy cheese tastes like.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    This happened to me a few years ago with one of the doctors in the practice I used to go to. I weighed around 140 at the time, and I'm around 5'2". I complained about being unable to lose weight, and the doctor offered me diet pills, but I said no thanks. Another doctor in the practice was trying to get me to take HRT when I didn't want to because it would "protect" me from getting Alzheimer's (I was 40) and a statin when my cholesterol was 199. I ended up changing practices. Don't take the pills, just pay more attention to diet and exercise.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Would I? No. Unless I had a damn good reason for it.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Lots of drugs have anti-convulsant properties, even Benadryl. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want crazy, doctor-sanctioned methods, try injecting yourself with Exenatide, made from synthesized Gila monster saliva. My mom (an ER doc) used that and lost ten pounds.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I wouldn't recommend it.

I've been taking Topamax (Topiramate) for a while for migraines. Yes, it makes you have no appetite. It also makes you chronically nauseous and have a feeling of disgust toward food. My diet consists of plain chicken, brown rice, mashed potatoes, crackers, bananas, and oatmeal. I can't tolerate anything else because of the nausea caused by the medication.

Topamax has a lot of cognitive side effects… memory loss, impairment of depth perception (I would see stop signs way before the stop sign was actually in front of me), trouble forming sentences, etc.

It's not worth the side effects if you are only taking it for weight loss.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    No! Do not take the pills!
    I am 60 and I lost just by a calorie deficit and exercise. I've lost a lot more than the 5 pounds my ticker displays.
    You can do it. Just be consistent with your logging.
    I just had a check-up and I'm 125 at 5'2". I'd like to lose a couple more but my doc says I'm fine the way I am.
    I wasn't hungry at all. I ate back 1/2 to all of my exercise calories depending on my hunger level.
    I work out 6 days a week and walk on the 7th.
    If you take the pill, eventually you'll have to stop taking it. You will probably gain a lot of it back.
    Just eat at a reasonable deficit-mostly healthy fats, proteins, fruits and veggies, ect. and you will lose it all!
    I also eat chocolate and other treats but keep it within the calorie goal.
    I even eat out 1-2 times a week and drink some wine. I don't feel at all deprived.
    You can do it without pills. I'm like you in the respect that the less medication-the better.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would not for the simple reason that eating too little can cause unnecessary muscle loss, and being an older woman, getting that muscle back will be very difficult for you. Take your time. Lose slowly and add some resistance training if you haven't already to preserve as much muscle as you can along the way. Work on controlling your appetite and figuring out why you're overeating in the first place. Treat that, and you'll do great.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    To answer your question...nope
  • saheliene
    saheliene Posts: 1 Member
    I use Topiramate/Topamax for my migraines as a prophylactic treatment. They do have an initial appetite suppressant effect but it won't last. What will last is the side effects that affects your short term memory. My doc calls it Dopamax bc it does make you dumb as in you want to say something and it is at the tip of your tongue and won't just come out, you won't remember. It works wonders for my migraines so I have been on it for years. Still 40 pounds overweight though despite jogging and healthy eating. I just like carbs a bit too much.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Don't worry, my doctor once gave me anti-psychosis medication for my insomnia, after a while you get used to drugs having multiple uses. Personally, I'm happy taking prescribed drugs as long as the side effects aren't bad, but it's all about what you feel comfortable doing.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    If you are leary...try just stringing a few days/weeks of good eating (weighing/measuring/logging your food). Since you already have them, if you decide doing it the MFP way isn't for you, you can always try them I suppose (I prefer avoid medication at all costs if I can find an alternative way to lose)

There are no magic potion pills, and yes the hunger does go away (are you sure it's hunger?? I ate cuz I was bored or thought I was hungry). If you are hungry go walking, work out, exercise, get your mind off food and get out of the house.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

Edited to add that I work from home too & have the same challenges :)
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    He gave you topiramate. Personally my opinion is that it's a bad idea to use a medication for its side effects. Also studies show that people lose an average of about 5 pounds on this medication. Is that worth it for the increased risk of slowing down your thinking and kidney stones? (those are the other side effects, and yes you are correct this medication is used for treatment of seizures though sometimes is also prescribed for migraines, pain, alcohol dependence, and bipolar disorder).
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    I wouldn't take the pills. I already know a reliable way to lose weight and get in better shape, and unless the drug has long-term studies demonstrating its safety, I wouldn't count on it for maintenance. Of course, if your weight's a problem and you can't find any other way to take it off, it might be worth consideration.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    May I ask what the name of the pills is? I once lost 45 pounds in around 3 months without really trying on pills I was taking for migraines (that were also used to treat seizures). If they're the same pills, I wouldn't recommend them solely for weight loss. They made me grumpy and, if you like soda at all, you won't after you've started them. They make anything carbonated taste like what I'd imagine moldy cheese tastes like.

I couldn't see how that would be a problem lol

But... no. I'm like you and avoid "unneeded" pills when possible.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    First off, you don't need any "help" such as pills to lose weight. You said it yourself- the fault is on you (no offense intended) for not accurately logging, sporadic weighing of food, and eating a surplus of calories.

The solution is to start logging accurately, weighing all your solid foods and measuring liquids, eat within a calorie goal that includes a deficit.

You want that 40 pounds to come off slowly. It took me about a year to lose 42 pounds, and I'm glad I did it that way.

Also, throw away the pills and get a new doctor. I question any doctor who does not tell you exactly what medication is for before prescribing it, as well as prescribing a seizure medicine for a person who does not have seizures.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    First off, you don't need any "help" such as pills to lose weight. You said it yourself- the fault is on you (no offense intended) for not accurately logging, sporadic weighing of food, and eating a surplus of calories.

The solution is to start logging accurately, weighing all your solid foods and measuring liquids, eat within a calorie goal that includes a deficit.

You want that 40 pounds to come off slowly. It took me about a year to lose 42 pounds, and I'm glad I did it that way.

Also, throw away the pills and get a new doctor. I question any doctor who does not tell you exactly what medication is for before prescribing it, as well as prescribing a seizure medicine for a person who does not have seizures.

Topamax's primary use is to treat seizure disorders. It's off label uses are migraines, mood stabilizer, and an appetite suppressant in overweight/obese patients.

Plenty of medications are used for a variety of purposes. I take Topamax and I don't have seizures. I take it for migraines because it's a miracle drug for them. She doesn't need to find a new doctor just because he gave her a drug that is used to treat multiple conditions. That's silly.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't take the pills.

If I were you, I'd make a sincere effort to do it the good old-fashioned way for a month or two and see how you do.

If you're truly hungry, try adding more low-calorie, high volume foods to your day. I'm someone who likes to eat a lot of food, so I bump up a lot of my meals with fresh vegetables (for instance, lots of lettuce and bell peppers in my tacos, or a single serving of spaghetti with a protein and sauteed squash and zucchini). If you're a boredom eater or like to snack throughout the day, have lots of low-calorie alternatives available to munch on (I like apples, cheese sticks, fresh veggies, pretzels, popcorn, etc). :smile:
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member

Topamax's primary use is to treat seizure disorders. It's off label uses are migraines, mood stabilizer, and an appetite suppressant in overweight/obese patients.

Plenty of medications are used for a variety of purposes. I take Topamax and I don't have seizures. I take it for migraines because it's a miracle drug for them. She doesn't need to find a new doctor just because he gave her a drug that is used to treat multiple conditions. That's silly.

Exactly. I have Ativan (lorazepam) for my anxiety attacks, and my partner and I like the fact that it can also be used as an anti-convulsant because he DOES have seizures, and in an emergency (read: seizure), I can tuck an Ativan in his cheek and let it dissolve. Lots of drugs have different uses - and another factor is the size of the dosage in relation to its purpose. OP said she'd been given a low dose. It's absolutely ridiculous to recommend finding a new doctor just because of a single drug recommendation/Rx.
  • spk2me
    spk2me Posts: 3
    My soon to be ex went to a medical weight loss center. he needed to lose 80- 100lbs. They pumped him full of vitamin B injections and appetite suppressant pills. They also put him on a strict very low carb high protein diet and exercise program. He lost 80 lbs in 4 months. Way too much too quick. As soon as he stopped the diet program he put all the weight right back on. The key is watch what you eat. Load up on fruits and veggies. They are nutrient dense and low calories...and of course exercise. Calories in/calories out. So my answer is a definite NO! Don't waste your money and potentially jeopardize your health taking meds. you never know what damage they may cause to another system down the road. Do it the old fashioned way. And the moment you go off them you may fall into the same pattern of overeating and gain it right back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

With all due respect, it's not silly..

You are taking Topamax for your migraines, and other people take it for seizures, which are the uses for the drug. However, isn't appetite suppression just one of the side effects? Therefore she was given a drug she does not need for the advantage of the side effect.

How does that make sense?