Would you take a appetite supressant from doc?

Options

Replies

• AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    First off, you don't need any "help" such as pills to lose weight. You said it yourself- the fault is on you (no offense intended) for not accurately logging, sporadic weighing of food, and eating a surplus of calories.

The solution is to start logging accurately, weighing all your solid foods and measuring liquids, eat within a calorie goal that includes a deficit.

You want that 40 pounds to come off slowly. It took me about a year to lose 42 pounds, and I'm glad I did it that way.

Also, throw away the pills and get a new doctor. I question any doctor who does not tell you exactly what medication is for before prescribing it, as well as prescribing a seizure medicine for a person who does not have seizures.

Topamax's primary use is to treat seizure disorders. It's off label uses are migraines, mood stabilizer, and an appetite suppressant in overweight/obese patients.

Plenty of medications are used for a variety of purposes. I take Topamax and I don't have seizures. I take it for migraines because it's a miracle drug for them. She doesn't need to find a new doctor just because he gave her a drug that is used to treat multiple conditions. That's silly.
    With all due respect, it's not silly..

You are taking Topamax for your migraines, and other people take it for seizures, which are the uses for the drug. However, isn't appetite suppression just one of the side effects? Therefore she was given a drug she does not need for the advantage of the side effect.

How does that make sense?

There's a chance that could have been an unwise decision on the part of her doctor, definitely, but I would assume (and, true, just assuming here) that since they know more about OP's medical history than we do, they would prescribe what they thought worked best for her health, body chemistry, etc. Maybe the OP also suffers from headaches. Maybe she's on another drug that's causing weight gain (though doubtful, since she doesn't like taking meds). Maybe she also has some kind of mood disorder. Topiramate is a pretty new drug, so it's reasonable to expect it to be used for a variety of symptoms, and just because weight loss isn't a primary aspect of its use now doesn't mean that it won't be a component for a weight loss drug/regimen in the future.

But this is all pharmacology, not answering the OP! OP, if you don't want to take the drug, then don't. If you have more questions, ask your doctor. Get a second opinion, too, if it will make you feel better :smile:
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I took an appetite suppressant before my wedding 6 years ago. I took a pill that was actually used to quit smoking but they gave it to me for this. (I do not smoke.) It did work and in the first month I lost 12 lbs but then after the first month they were less effective. It was suppressing my appetite too much and I was not eating enough. I ended up coming off of them because these were far more costly and the last month I took them I only lost 4 lbs. I didnt think that was worth the cost of the script. Once I came off I felt like I could not stop eating. If it was insite I was shoving it in my mouth.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Would I take them? No. Because I wouldn't take any pill for weight loss, I can lose weight on my own. For me it is not necessary.

However that doesn't mean you shouldn't take them. Sounds like you were fine with it until you found out it was an anti-seizure drug. But many (most?) medications have multiple applications. Often they have very different effects in people with different medical conditions. For example the pills I take for my ADHD have a side effect of helping me sleep. Ironically that drug is also prescribed to people with narcolepsy so they can stay awake.

If you're concerned but still considering it, why not talk to your pharmacist? They can tell you more than the doctor can about potential side effects of a medication.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hiyah
    i wouldnt take them esp if it has side effects. gosh its hard enough at my doctors to get antibiotics i couldnt imagine mine giving me a pill for weight loss.

You said you lose weight slow and thats ok, just take your time. You already exercise so all you need to do is start logging your food.

If it doesnt feel right dont do it, you can do it without. good luck
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Topaxax... if only the appetite suppressing lasts. It actually worked for me for a couple months but then I think my body built up a tolerance and my usual appetite returned. I wouldn't recommend this if want long term weight loss and maintenance.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My soon to be ex went to a medical weight loss center. he needed to lose 80- 100lbs. They pumped him full of vitamin B injections and appetite suppressant pills. They also put him on a strict very low carb high protein diet and exercise program. He lost 80 lbs in 4 months. Way too much too quick. As soon as he stopped the diet program he put all the weight right back on. The key is watch what you eat. Load up on fruits and veggies. They are nutrient dense and low calories...and of course exercise. Calories in/calories out. So my answer is a definite NO! Don't waste your money and potentially jeopardize your health taking meds. you never know what damage they may cause to another system down the road. Do it the old fashioned way. And the moment you go off them you may fall into the same pattern of overeating and gain it right back.

It it bad that after I read the first sentence all I could wonder was why your soon to be ex, is a soon to be ex?

As for the pills, I thought of seeing a doctor for some help too, just got health insurance, but hadn't yet. Now I am second guessing. I figured anything prescribed would be better for you than just regular diet pills. Guess maybe not?
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take wellbutrin for depression and one of its side effects is suppressed appetite. It definitely helps. Even if I didn't need it for depression, I wouldn't be opposed to taking an appetite suppressant if the risk was small enough.

Just like bariatric surgery, appetite suppressants are a tool. You still have to work to keep the weight off...it just makes it a little easier to lose the weight.
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would not use medication until I was 100% sure that I had done my absolute best to lose weight by exercising and eating healthier for an extended period, and probably not unless I was obesely overweight.

You probably will not be able to maintain the weight loss once you stop the meds, so I don't see this as a healthy choice. I would also even consider switching doctors to one who is not handing out scripts like candy.
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    For my body, I am rather med phobic. Mostly because I always react to pills and usually pretty severely. For example, the last time I took cold pills for a virus I ended up with a sinus infection. When I take something for digestive distress I usually end up with the opposite problem for a matter of days. However, I am involved in the mental health field and deal with medication on a daily basis. Not only are my folks taking pills for their psychiatric difficulties, most are or recently have taken other pills with the sole purpose to address side effects.

I will say that there are very often pills which are generally given for a purpose which they are not known for, but work through whatever suppression of brain chemicals or chemistry I don't fully understand. Personally I don't think that makes the script any less legitimate. In fact, when they find that a drug addresses a set of symptoms they didn't originally plan on, in my mind that's less prone to bias and proof of the value of medical studies. I just wish there was more research done on most drugs before docs started actually prescribing them.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had my annual physical. While I am about 40 lbs overweight, I am not in the "obese" category - just overweight, with a BMI of about 29. I expressed to my doctor that I have been struggling with losing weight - I am 63 yrs old, and I lose weight very slowly, and tend to get discouraged. I exercise a lot, but I also know that part of this is because I do have days where I do eat too much. I try to write everything down, but somedays I don't, And, on those days, I do not measure of weigh my food. So I know, deep down, the fault is probably my own!!

But - he wrote me a prescript, told me the pills do not cost that much, and unlike "diet" pills, they will not raise my blood pressure, or have the bad effects that "Diet" pills do. So -- I picked up the pills, thinking, gee, why not! ( The doctor told me I would have those 40 lbs off in no time - the pills would make me just not hungry). So I'm thinking, this is a no-brainer. Why not get the extra help, get those lbs off, and then work hard to keep them off.

Well, I picked up the pills, and saw that they are actually pills to give someone to prevent them from having seizures! One of the side effects, is loss of appetite. The pills did only cost me $11.00, but now, I do not want to take them. I am scared of taking anything like this, much less for something it is not really intended for

I am a person that takes NO medications at all, and scared to take something where its intended use is to prevent seizures. He did tell me I might feel "spaced out" until I get used to them, but after a week I would be fine.

Am I being over cautious, especially since the doctor told me to take them.? I know I could get the weight off faster, but is this what I want or should do?

So today, the pills are unopened. I measured everything, stayed within my calories, and feel good. I drank a lot of water. Yes, I am very hungry, but won't I get used to being hungry, and eventually, the hunger, or what I think is hunger, will go away?

Any words of encouragement, and suggestions? I know so many of you have been so successful. I have a very hard time eating something considered "good", and not feeling like I am off my diet. I know I need to work on this as well.

Oh - the pills are "Topiramate - 25 mg". A very low dose, according to my doc. I trust my doct, been going to him for over 20 yrs, but just scared to take them.

Just wiki'd it.

How does one put this. If there were some vegetable being touted out there as a cure for all these things, some foul legume or root tuber you'd be scoffing it back like a mofo.

amirite?

Go for it. If you don't like it, stop taking it. What's the worst that can happen? you don't get any convulsions? :D

(PS if you don't want them let me know, I'll pm you and you can post them to me. nudge nudge wink wink saynomore, saynomore. a nod's as good as a wink to a blind man.)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't because I can manage my weight reduction without it - but if I had real difficulties, I'd consider it. You aren't even slightly obese, I think that suggestion was really stupid.

You already know what you are doing wrong, or parts of it. Get more active in registering what you eat. Eat at a reasonable deficit, and a well balanced diet, primarily wholesome and healthy food, whatever that means to you, and some treats inbetween. Are you sure you are hungry and not just wanting something tasty? We who are overweight, sometimes have to learn what it feels like to be hungry and full, and it isn't dangerous to feel a little hungry now and then, when one's nutritional needs are covered. Experiment with different kinds of food and meal plans, to find something that works for you.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    Follow your gutt! You know this is not the solution to long lasting weight loss so why risk your health. Nothing worth having comes easy. So get back to the basics and loose your weight the healthy way. jmho
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would try eating healthier and logging for a while. You shouldn't feel super hungry. Eat filling healthy foods. It does work but consistency is the key
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it.

I've been taking Topamax (Topiramate) for a while for migraines. Yes, it makes you have no appetite. It also makes you chronically nauseous and have a feeling of disgust toward food. My diet consists of plain chicken, brown rice, mashed potatoes, crackers, bananas, and oatmeal. I can't tolerate anything else because of the nausea caused by the medication.

Topamax has a lot of cognitive side effects… memory loss, impairment of depth perception (I would see stop signs way before the stop sign was actually in front of me), trouble forming sentences, etc.

It's not worth the side effects if you are only taking it for weight loss.

Heck no I wouldn't take these!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it.

I've been taking Topamax (Topiramate) for a while for migraines. Yes, it makes you have no appetite. It also makes you chronically nauseous and have a feeling of disgust toward food. My diet consists of plain chicken, brown rice, mashed potatoes, crackers, bananas, and oatmeal. I can't tolerate anything else because of the nausea caused by the medication.

Topamax has a lot of cognitive side effects… memory loss, impairment of depth perception (I would see stop signs way before the stop sign was actually in front of me), trouble forming sentences, etc.

It's not worth the side effects if you are only taking it for weight loss.

Same here. I was on it for quite a while and the side effects were absolutely horrible! When I was on it I lost a ton of weight because all food tasted awful to me. I was surviving on meal replacement shakes. I got all these symptoms plus tingling/numbness in my hands, as if they would suddenly go to sleep. But the worst was forgetting words/not being able to complete sentences. I need to lose weight, and I know if I wanted back on this drug I could have it any time I want, but no freaking way!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Having taken it myself, I wouldn't recommend it for you. You are not that overweight and do not seem like you have exhausted your other options. I actually have had my best results the good old fashion way, here. Just tracking and logging everything on here. It certainly will kill your appetite for a few months. But, the side effects are pretty bad. I felt terrible. Pins and needles in my hands and feet, weak, dizzy, on edge. Lost 40, gained 60 after the tolerance for them wore off.
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am taking one - it is Phentermine 37.5mg tablets. I am seeing a doctor who is a board certified bariatric physician. He said it would only be effective for about 2 months but I wanted to try it to get me over the "hump" while my body adjusts to fewer calories so I didn't want to chew my arm off. I needed to make my stomach adjust to feeling full on less bulk. I eat only whole grains, raw veggies at lunch and cooked at dinner, lean proteins and nuts but would still be super hungry and exercise made it even worse. So I needed a little help for a jump start. So far it has really helped me ignore hunger. I'm still a little hungry but less aware of it.

Also the HGC injections for abdominal fat. Although they would let me have them indefinitely, I did my research and found that studies showed they were only effective for about 40 days. Speculated reason is HGC makes a woman's body draw on fat stores when she is pregnant before she KNOWS she's pregnant. Mother nature's way of making sure a fetus is well-fed when Mom doesn't know to pay attention to eating well. After a woman has been pregnant long enough to recognize she is, the body tapers off making HGC. For fat loss, it is recommended to use 40 days on, 6 weeks off and repeat as necessary. So I'm not going to use it continuously as I feel it's a waste of money.

I have been chunky since 3rd grade and fighting it off and on my whole life. I'm 46 and for the first time my BP was borderline high (everything else has always been good) and I realized I needed to do something before I'm full-on menopausal!

I have dropped 25 pounds in 2 months; the first month without regular exercise until I got in my groove. I've been tracking calories and exercise for a really long time. So I have a good idea of what my maintenance calories are (at my heavier weight of 220) including 2-3 days of treadmill or elliptical. I've been chastised that 1200 is too few calories but based on my tracking, My BMR is 1200 and my RMR is about 1700. Now I've added the gym 5x a week doing elliptical for 30 minutes burning about 300 calories each time but I add that and eat 1500 on those days so I don't drop below BMR needs. I've been stuck for about a week at the same weight now. But I stopped the HGC about 2 weeks ago so I wonder if it's been out of my system for a week and that's why I'm stuck? I'm just going to keep on track.

DO measure your food until you have a good idea of what it looks like. I find that separate measuring cups really help me visualize when I don't measure. Now I have a good idea of what 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc LOOK like because of the individual cups. Measuring 1/2 cup in a 2 or 4 cup measure isn't as helpful in visualizing to me. I know how much wine is 5oz in MY glasses. I account for everything. Even the two chocolate eggs from my kiddo's basket. If I cheat by not recording, I'm only cheating myself. It doesn't change what I put in my body.

Also when I'm hungry but I don't have calories left or it's not meal time yet, I grab a pickle (yeah, sodium) or a 16oz glass of water flavored with crystal light or pop a stick of gum. Flavors seems to help over plain water.

Good luck!
  • bobobolobo
    bobobolobo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I had tried Topiramate for moodiness by my psychiatrist. He also knows I have a bit of a binge eating issue so that would also be a reason he prescribed them to me. What I found was, yes they did suppress my appetite, but not by much. I still had binging days and was still relativelly over weight for the four months I was on them. I decided it wasn't worth it. It would have been worth it if I had dropped 10 pound over that time but I was just maintaining. they are pretty bad for the kidneys as well I know that they weren't something I wanted to be on for the rest of my life.Could I imagine myself on medication in five years for appetite? That scared me..so why not make the change without.
    Its a challenge and hard for those who have eating impulse control issues, but if you keep trying and trying and forgive yourself for when you do over do it, you will eventually learn to control your appetite.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    First off, you don't need any "help" such as pills to lose weight. You said it yourself- the fault is on you (no offense intended) for not accurately logging, sporadic weighing of food, and eating a surplus of calories.

The solution is to start logging accurately, weighing all your solid foods and measuring liquids, eat within a calorie goal that includes a deficit.

You want that 40 pounds to come off slowly. It took me about a year to lose 42 pounds, and I'm glad I did it that way.

Also, throw away the pills and get a new doctor. I question any doctor who does not tell you exactly what medication is for before prescribing it, as well as prescribing a seizure medicine for a person who does not have seizures.

Topamax's primary use is to treat seizure disorders. It's off label uses are migraines, mood stabilizer, and an appetite suppressant in overweight/obese patients.

Plenty of medications are used for a variety of purposes. I take Topamax and I don't have seizures. I take it for migraines because it's a miracle drug for them. She doesn't need to find a new doctor just because he gave her a drug that is used to treat multiple conditions. That's silly.
    With all due respect, it's not silly..

You are taking Topamax for your migraines, and other people take it for seizures, which are the uses for the drug. However, isn't appetite suppression just one of the side effects? Therefore she was given a drug she does not need for the advantage of the side effect.

How does that make sense?

I specifically stated Topamax is used as an appetite suppressant as well.
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    May I ask what the name of the pills is? I once lost 45 pounds in around 3 months without really trying on pills I was taking for migraines (that were also used to treat seizures). If they're the same pills, I wouldn't recommend them solely for weight loss. They made me grumpy and, if you like soda at all, you won't after you've started them. They make anything carbonated taste like what I'd imagine moldy cheese tastes like.

I couldn't see how that would be a problem lol

But... no. I'm like you and avoid "unneeded" pills when possible.

It wasn't! Lol, that probably contributed largely to my weight loss after I started the pills...I just wish there had been a warning, I guess! I took a drink of Dr Pepper, per the norm at the time, and thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. I still don't drink soda to this day, even though I decided over a year ago to stop taking prescription pills for anything--just the occasional ibuprofen/excedrin for headaches, as I started the pills for stress-related headaches to begin with.