1200 cals is just fine. 1100 is just fine too. If....

Options
You are short. And there are a lot of short gals on MFP, if you hadn't noticed us!

The most accurate calorie calculator, http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ puts a person of my height 5 foot, 1.5 inches, my age, 37 years, and my weight, told me that if I am sedentary and want to lose at a 20% reduction, I should be eating 1104 cals a day. I did that for 7 months and lost 30 lbs and am in better shape now than I was when I was 17.

YES, 1104 cals a day! I did not die, no I was not tired, no I did not go into starvation mode, and after a few months getting used to it, no I was not hungry! I have more energy and muscle definition now than I have ever had in my life (as with any calorie goal, I made sure I was eating plenty of protein and veggies, not just chocolate and potato chips!)

Telling EVERYONE that 1200 is too low becauuse 1200 or below is the EVIL UNSPEAKABLE NUMBER on MFP, you are going to get a lot of short fat people on MFP who give up because they are eating what their taller fellow MFP'ers are eating.

When someone new writes a post about "is 1200 o.k." don't just jump in and say "you'll die." Say "what are your stats?" Please. Can we stop the misinformation? Why is it so notoriously hard for short people to lose weight? Because they are following diet plans and calorie goals designed for average sized people - i.e. taller/bigger than us shorties. It need not be hard with the right information.

1200 is a 100% completely arbitrary number. Get the facts and go to the free website for an accurate calorie calculation: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Hungry? That is what exercise is for. If you exercise for an hour a day, you can add a few hundred extra calories and have an extra meal! Also, the weight loss part of your new lifestyle doesn't last forever: when you get to maintenance and/or increase your activity level, you can eat more. Weight loss doesn't last forever... unless YOU ARE SHORT AND EATING OVER 1200 CALORIES!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    okay well then...at 30lbs a TDEE-20% deficet is too high...sorry...

1/2lb a week is a good healthy rate of loss for 30lbs...so that is TDEE-10%

And when I input your starting stats into scooby...144lbs, 61 inches, 37 and sedentary..wow imagine it gave 1333, TDEE-10% was 1499, and I could snip the screen and go to photobucket and post here but eh...I have DC'd it...maybe you should have.

And if your profile pic is you and your son you are not sedentary...so imagine lightly active goes to 1718.

Not sure why you felt the need to post this...it is common knowledge that the AMA says that in order to get in all your macro/micros you need at least 1200...and the fact you mention starvation mode...really?

After a few months no you wouldn't be hungry, when the body isn't getting enough food it creates a hormone to alter your hunger signals to lower so you aren't in constant agongy...see even your body knows something is wrong

So...1200 is the limit for women regardless of their height...
    When someone new writes a post about "is 1200 o.k." don't just jump in and say "you'll die." Say "what are your stats?" Please. Can we stop the misinformation?
    <snip>
    Weight loss doesn't last forever... unless YOU ARE SHORT AND EATING OVER 1200 CALORIES!

Ironic statement is ironic

Oh and stop spreading mis-information....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

And when I input your starting stats into scooby...144lbs, 61 inches, 37 and sedentary..wow imagine it gave 1333, TDEE-10% was 1499, and I could snip the screen and go to photobucket and post here but eh...I have DC'd it...maybe you should have.

And if your profile pic is you and your son you are not sedentary...so imagine lightly active goes to 1718.

Not sure why you felt the need to post this...it is common knowledge that the AMA says that in order to get in all your macro/micros you need at least 1200...and the fact you mention starvation mode...really?

After a few months no you wouldn't be hungry, when the body isn't getting enough food it creates a hormone to alter your hunger signals to lower so you aren't in constant agongy...see even your body knows something is wrong

When someone new writes a post about "is 1200 o.k." don't just jump in and say "you'll die." Say "what are your stats?" Please. Can we stop the misinformation?
    <snip>
    Weight loss doesn't last forever... unless YOU ARE SHORT AND EATING OVER 1200 CALORIES!

Just this
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options

<snip>

This^^ I'm 5 foot 3, and eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day depending on my activities, and I'm dropping weight and body fat % at a steady rate. So...
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks, OP, my thoughts exactly. I'm just under 5'2", older, and eat lower calories and get plenty of nutrients. I'm healthier than I've ever been since I changed my eating habits. I lost 80 lbs last year, have a few more to lose and my doctor is totally okay with the way I did it. I have also been able to stop my two blood pressure medications. I consider that a total win..
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

<snip>

+1, I cannot understand why some folks want to brag about how little they can eat. Talk about bad info to new mfp'ers.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to believe you, seeing as I'm 5'10 (21 f) and my maintenance is somewhere around 1550 (net).
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

<snip>

QFT
  • coolblondenerd
    Options
    Thanks, OP, my thoughts exactly. I'm just under 5'2", older, and eat lower calories and get plenty of nutrients. I'm healthier than I've ever been since I changed my eating habits. I lost 80 lbs last year, have a few more to lose and my doctor is totally okay with the way I did it. I have also been able to stop my two blood pressure medications. I consider that a total win..

Like you just said, your doctor is okay with it. Doing this with a doctor's supervision is completely different to doing this because someone on the internet told you it was okay.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. She lost just a shade over one pound a week. If she was really at such a huge calories deficit wouldn't she had lost more weight more quickly?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to believe you, seeing as I'm 5'10 (21 f) and my maintenance is somewhere around 1550 (net).

sure...

I am 5 ft 7 twice your age and maintain on 2200...perspective...

If your statement is "fact" and not assumptions...then it is possible if you have had a long term ED and you have damaged your metabolism which can be fixed btw..

and by fact I mean measured in a clinical setting by qualified professionals...

If you were supervised that is one thing but GP's are not dieticians and take 1/2 semester course on nutrition which totals about 20 hours...I had family/friends tell me even their professors tell them that course isn't nearly enough to give out advice on diet etc and in order to do that they really should have a 2 semester course with at least 120 hours in class and even then only a registered dietician should be giving out advice on nutrition and diet and only if they are current.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 - 33, now 198. On days that I spend only gaming, and I mean the entire day sitting at my PS3 and only getting up to go pee and grab a bite out of the fridge I still burn around 1900. Do you know the difference between RMR and TDEE? 1200 a day is ok if you are in a coma.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be the one wheel on the shopping cart that pulls in the other direction...

this is what worked for the OP- and she has a point, only because she lost the 30lbs..

NOTHING works for EVERYONE!

It all breaks down to the vast generalizations, for Most people 1200 is too low.....

for this particular woman it worked...

I am 5 ft 6 for me 1350 and eating back nothing works . but I have particular issues that make it what I need
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Unlikely.

OP fair enough it worked for you in your opinion but it's dangerous to then say it's ok for eveyone and screw the general medical consensus. Just because you think it worked for you doesn't mean another method wouldn't have been better (how long have you maintained for? Did you maintain your LBM? Bone density, nutrition, etc?) nor does it mean that it is going to be ok for others. Your personal experience does not a universal truth make. And for most people, eating at that level is just not healthy.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You are short. And there are a lot of short gals on MFP, if you hadn't noticed us!

The most accurate calorie calculator, http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ puts a person of my height 5 foot, 1.5 inches, my age, 37 years, and my weight, told me that if I am sedentary and want to lose at a 20% reduction, I should be eating 1104 cals a day. I did that for 7 months and lost 30 lbs and am in better shape now than I was when I was 17.

YES, 1104 cals a day! I did not die, no I was not tired, no I did not go into starvation mode, and after a few months getting used to it, no I was not hungry! I have more energy and muscle definition now than I have ever had in my life (as with any calorie goal, I made sure I was eating plenty of protein and veggies, not just chocolate and potato chips!)

Telling EVERYONE that 1200 is too low becauuse 1200 or below is the EVIL UNSPEAKABLE NUMBER on MFP, you are going to get a lot of short fat people on MFP who give up because they are eating what their taller fellow MFP'ers are eating.

When someone new writes a post about "is 1200 o.k." don't just jump in and say "you'll die." Say "what are your stats?" Please. Can we stop the misinformation? Why is it so notoriously hard for short people to lose weight? Because they are following diet plans and calorie goals designed for average sized people - i.e. taller/bigger than us shorties. It need not be hard with the right information.

1200 is a 100% completely arbitrary number. Get the facts and go to the free website for an accurate calorie calculation: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Hungry? That is what exercise is for. If you exercise for an hour a day, you can add a few hundred extra calories and have an extra meal! Also, the weight loss part of your new lifestyle doesn't last forever: when you get to maintenance and/or increase your activity level, you can eat more. Weight loss doesn't last forever... unless YOU ARE SHORT AND EATING OVER 1200 CALORIES!
    Well said. I'm short and started with a 1200 cal deficit. I've since increased my calories a bit, but at 1200 and at 1520 I make sure I hit all my goals, ie: calicum, fiber, vit. a,c, potassium, protein, and stay under my carb goal. It is totally doable and you can have the most healthy diet without starving if you eat right. Granted you would starve if you at junk at 1200 cal...but if you eat like your supposed to, 1200 for shorties is what everyone says to do. Unlike what others have said, you do not need to be under a Dr.s care to be on a 1200 cal diet. If it's under, then yes, a Dr should follow along with your plan.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options

This. A lot of the shorter/slimmer people here who are already at a healthy weight (or near enough) seem to think they can eat at a big deficit like those who are severely overweight.

The smaller you are the less of a deficit you should have. Just because you can choose the -2lbs a weeks option doesnt mean it is the best thing for you to do.

On the flip side those who are very obese should still have more than 1200 a day in order to get the fuel and nutrition needed for their bigger bodies. When I first started I was losing 2lbs a week on 2100 calories, I definately should not have gone down as low as 1200. Imagine the lean muscle that would have been stripped off me!

1200 may be 'fine' for some people but giving a blanket 'yes' is just as silly as giving a blanket 'no' dont you think?
  • coolblondenerd
    Options
    I'm gonna be the one wheel on the shopping cart that pulls in the other direction...

this is what worked for the OP- and she has a point, only because she lost the 30lbs..

NOTHING works for EVERYONE!

It all breaks down to the vast generalizations, for Most people 1200 is too low.....

for this particular woman it worked...

I am 5 ft 6 for me 1350 and eating back nothing works . but I have particular issues that make it what I need

If you eat at a deficit you'll lose weight. If I ate 800 calories a day, I'd lose weight. But that doesn't mean I'm healthy. Eating at a very low level, unless you're morbidly obese is really unhealthy. OP is probably after losing a lot of lean muscle and damaging her metabolism (hence the gain backs she spoke of). Big weight loss doesn't mean it's after working, because she proved with her own words that it's not sustainable.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options

<snip>

^^^^ This!

I'm 5' nothing, female in my (ahem) mid thirties and my bmr per scoobyworkshop is 1348, with the recommendation I eat 1450 plus exercise calories to lose 0.5lbs/week

I would be super cranky if I ate less than that. BUT what works for some doesn't work for all!
This discussion has been closed.