But I love meat!!!

Options
My cardiologist says if it does not swim or grow from the ground I CANNOT eat it. The nerve of her :noway: but I've decided to take her advice (after months of defiance) & today is my first day as a pescatarian. This is my May Challenge & I gladly accept :smile: !

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am going to wish you all the best in this change......because I don't think this midwestern girl could give up her steak, pork and chicken.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    If you love meat...I'd second a second opinion. I love food. Food is love. None shall be excluded
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Chuck a cow in a lake... it's swimming!! Eat it!!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Agree with the second opinion. Cardiologists are good at hearts, but not necessarily good nutrition. There are plenty of lean white meats that should be able to be included in your diet like turkey, chicken, and pork. Perhaps a nutritionist that specializes in cardio health?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I've had some friends who have really done well in lowering their cholesterol while going pescetarian. Whether or not you could get the same results by including other forms of protein is another question.

I'm neither a physician nor an RD, but yes. A second opinion couldn't hurt.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If by "grow in the ground," she meant vegetables, well, she's excluding a lot of other good stuff.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Your cravings for meat can likely be met by our friends fat and salt. Make sure you incorporate these tastes into your diet and you won't feel deprived!

There are some fantastic resources out there for vegetarian and pescetarian cooking - focus instead on what you CAN eat!
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if you can do it. Maybe after a few months your Cardiologist says you can do meat twice per week or something. Everyone should eat mainly fish as their animal flesh of choice.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Chuck a cow in a lake... it's swimming!! Eat it!!
    Lol! I second that
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    A new doctor you must see!

ETA : a caridologist isn't overly versed in diets, maybe you should see Dietician
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    What was her reasoning? I've never heard of a person being told that they cannot eat lean protein that doesn't come from the sea. Why is boneless, skinless chicken breast off of the menu if eaten in moderation?
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Shuuma, I love your ticker... and oddly want some pie now :)
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Our teeth are designed to eat a wide variety of foods including meat. It's all about balancing how much meat with other food groups. Be smart about your choices and enjoy healthy portions of the things that you like.

From a DIE-HARD carnivore.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Shuuma, I love your ticker... and oddly want some pie now :)

I'd offer you some pie, but I ate it all.

:laugh:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Your cravings for meat can likely be met by our friends fat and salt.

Fat and sodium ... so, basically, the stuff that's already IN meat?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I would find another cardiologist.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist says if it does not swim or grow from the ground I CANNOT eat it. The nerve of her :noway: but I've decided to take her advice (after months of defiance) & today is my first day as a pescatarian. This is my May Challenge & I gladly accept :smile: !

Your cardiologist isn't very bright.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP, please come back and tell us why she said this.

Until then, with very limited knowledge, I'd definitely get a second opinion and speak with someone who better understands nutrition.