why do I compare myself to every woman I see?

I'm constantly comparing myself to every woman I see. If shes thin and beautiful, I hate her. ( jealousy anyone?)If she's bigger, I wonder if I'm as big as her. I'm constantly picking myself apart, and thinking of something new to improve on before I've made it to my first goal. I have stretch marks from having kids, so I'm already trying to save up money for really expensive cream for those. On top of that I want a boob job, knowing I can't afford it. Next best thing, buy some pills that supposedly helps out a couple of cup sizes. I want to be beautiful. But all I can see are flaws flaws flaws. Everywhere flaws. I'm so burnt out. I may not weigh a whole lot, but trust me, the body fat % is high. Like 32% high.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    ...why do you get jealous? (seriously consider this)

Basically...it comes down to your own self-esteem.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Because you're influenced by what Hollywood and Media has deemed as "beautiful" and "perfect".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    I do the same exact thing. I have stretch marks as well. and I would get a boob job if I had the money lol at least I now know im not the only one I thought I was kind of weird. It kind of sucks to compare yourself to others cause it makes you more self conscious and kind of makes you feel like your not good enough( at least that's how I feel) but its sooo hard to break the habit
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm constantly comparing myself to every woman I see. If shes thin and beautiful, I hate her. ( jealousy anyone?)If she's bigger, I wonder if I'm as big as her. I'm constantly picking myself apart, and thinking of something new to improve on before I've made it to my first goal. I have stretch marks from having kids, so I'm already trying to save up money for really expensive cream for those. On top of that I want a boob job, knowing I can't afford it. Next best thing, buy some pills that supposedly helps out a couple of cup sizes. I want to be beautiful. But all I can see are flaws flaws flaws. Everywhere flaws. I'm so burnt out. I may not weigh a whole lot, but trust me, the body fat % is high. Like 32% high.

It doesn't matter what you weigh or what size you are, it's a matter of how you perceive yourself. You have some self esteem issues and I would challenge you to assess those insecurities. No reason that you should compete with other women. The media pits against each other so much as it is.
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    Holly, its not just you. I'm the same way. I think its the body dysmorphia thing where we never see anything good, just the bad.. I feel epic insecure near any women who have qualities I seek.. Although I don't do the jealous i hate you thing.. I just mope about it in private.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Maybe you need to talk to someone about your own issues? Really, I'm not trying to be mean, but you should live your life for you and be the best you can be and stop worrying about what others think. It might be mean to say, but there will always be someone more beautiful, thinner, younger, etc than you. You have to get past that. And everyone has imperfections. Hollywood is an illusion.
  • well a lot of females feel the same way that you do and are not impressed with what they have to offer but that on it's own is a negative and wont help you in any aspects of your life. What I recommend is finding the one thing about you that you truly love and get the most compliments on. Once you have found that one thing it's time to rock it and flaunt it with doing this you will reveal confidence you never thought you had and therefore maybe start seeing you in a different light. Fitness has to be something you want and in order to get there keep it as a goal along with being happy about you. Stop comparing you are beautiful :)
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    I used to constantly compare myself to others until I started really getting fit as opposed to just dieting. I now feel amazing about myself most times and if I catch myself checking out a chick it's usually appreciating their physique or beauty as opposed to just hating them for being awesome while I hate myself.

I've lost a few pounds but the confidence I've gained in myself far surpasses the number on the scale.
  • hollymccall
    hollymccall Posts: 88 Member
    I admit, media does influence me. I see perfection on the tv screen and want so much to have the body she does. Yes, I realize I have some serious self esteem issues going on. How to I begin to address those? I just don't feel good about myself, and I'm trying to do something about it. It's just allot of pressure. And let me clarify, I don't hate every pretty thin woman, there's just that twinge of jealousy. Our maybe envy is a better word. I know they're is always gonna be someone prettier and thinner ect., I just want to feel comfortable with me.
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    Its super hard to feel comfortable with yourself, totally get it. What parts do you feel worst about? Your photo shows a beautiful woman, with great lips and a beautiful smile. AND AMAZING HAIR. From your face pic I can't see why you'd be insecure, but again, we all are our own worst critics. If there is a specific "trouble" spot that you feel insecure about, maybe try to find ways to camouflage it so you don't focus so much on it? I know for me it's my big arms, so I try to buy clothes that don't make them look any bigger =)
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    You compare yourself to other women because many different factors in your life have conditioned you to do it. Its that simple. Your own personality will color this behavior and your reaction to it. For example, I do it because in high school, boys were vocal about what they found attractive and if you didn't measure up, they ignored you, teased you, evaluated you on a 1-10 scale, called you names, showed other boys that you were not desirable. And if boys ignored you, then girls (heterosexual girls, can't speak for lesbians) could see that you were inferior and they began to make sure that they weren't seen that way. Boys held the standard and girls wanted so much to be approved of so they evaluated themselves and others to gauge competition. So now, even as a 33 yr old adult, I still feel the consequences of growing up in a community like that. The reasons may be different for you. But that's why for ME. Something conditioned you to do this so you could have the approval of others.

Now comes the hard part: What can you do to slow or stop this behavior? :-) I very slowly began to like myself and remember that men who want that kind of perfection are just not for me. And that's ok. I don't need to be everyone's cup of tea. Maybe you will find YOUR own reason. Like, you might realize that we are all different and not in a competition. Or you might just become for comfortable with not being perfect and just being the YOU. I hope you find your answers. I know its difficult.
  • hollymccall
    @ itsadogslife

It's mostly my waist and my thighs. I want to get a flat tummy, and lean legs. Those bother me most. I camouflage as much as possible.And thank you for the compliment.!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    I admit, media does influence me. I see perfection on the tv screen and want so much to have the body she does. Yes, I realize I have some serious self esteem issues going on. How to I begin to address those? I just don't feel good about myself, and I'm trying to do something about it. It's just allot of pressure. And let me clarify, I don't hate every pretty thin woman, there's just that twinge of jealousy. Our maybe envy is a better word. I know they're is always gonna be someone prettier and thinner ect., I just want to feel comfortable with me.

Sorry if I sounded harsh before...but seriously I'd suggest talking to someone. I've never felt that jealousy before, but there've been times in my life when I'm not happy with the person I am, or even a situation I'm in and I know that can affect the way you (general you) think or act. Pick out things you love about yourself, or things in your life that you are proud of. Look into hobbies that occupy your mind so you aren't thinking this way. The media is designed to evoke these feeling so you will feel this way and spend money on products and magazines and movies and whatever else. You have to be confident in yourself, you have to have a strong value in yourself and your life.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    The unrealistic pressure the media puts on women is terrible. In general, I think we, as women, are critical of ourselves and we tend to focus on our flaws rather than our positive characteristics and features. Just realize that other women are not looking at you and seeing what you see. Just like you are not hyper-critical of other women, they are not examining your flaws under a microscope. Be kind to yourself and love your body - even in its imperfect state. It all fades eventually anyway. Besides, you will just waste time and money on expensive creams and treatments that WON'T work. I have stretch marks - creams don't help. The boob pills are a huge FAIL too. Do not waste your money! Tried them years ago and if anything I think they may have shrunk my boobs! :laugh:

If you want to feel beautiful, STOP comparing yourself to others. Take a "before" picture of yourself and improve from there. Seeing and comparing your own progress can be measurable success. Eat healthy, exercise and work on building your self-esteem, and realize you ARE beautiful. :heart:

Self-confidence shines through your countenance and IS beautiful!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Natural thing to do - we are self-centered humans after all. That being said, the greatest progress comes when we compare ourselves to ourselves.. What PROGRESS are we making... Are we meeting our goals or marking time? Personally, I do compare myself to others in the gym as well but mostly to see what they have achieved and if it is close to what I am working toward, what are they doing to get there... Be the best you that you can be... that is all anybody can ask for... and if your hubby and kids are satisfied with you, that is all that really matters in the end anyway.
  • hollymccall
    You compare yourself to other women because many different factors in your life have conditioned you to do it. Its that simple. Your own personality will color this behavior and your reaction to it. For example, I do it because in high school, boys were vocal about what they found attractive and if you didn't measure up, they ignored you, teased you, evaluated you on a 1-10 scale, called you names, showed other boys that you were not desirable. And if boys ignored you, then girls (heterosexual girls, can't speak for lesbians) could see that you were inferior and they began to make sure that they weren't seen that way. Boys held the standard and girls wanted so much to be approved of so they evaluated themselves and others to gauge competition. So now, even as a 33 yr old adult, I still feel the consequences of growing up in a community like that. The reasons may be different for you. But that's why for ME. Something conditioned you to do this so you could have the approval of ot
    Now comes the hard part: What can you do to slow or stop this behavior? :-) I very slowly began to like myself and remember that men who want that kind of perfection are just not for me. And that's ok. I don't need to be everyone's cup of tea. Maybe you will find YOUR own reason. Like, you might realize that we are all different and not in a competition. Or you might just become for comfortable with not being perfect and just being the YOU. I hope you find your answers. I know its difficult.
    It comes from alot of places. Believe it or not, I'm usually a very up beat and positive person. I try to always encourage and uplift others. But I also have nights like tonight where I sulk about my insecurities and flaws. I have self esteem issues that stem from many places. Sometimes I just need to vent.
  • hollymccall

Sorry if I sounded harsh before...but seriously I'd suggest talking to someone. I've never felt that jealousy before, but there've been times in my life when I'm not happy with the person I am, or even a situation I'm in and I know that can affect the way you (general you) think or act. Pick out things you love about yourself, or things in your life that you are proud of. Look into hobbies that occupy your mind so you aren't thinking this way. The media is designed to evoke these feeling so you will feel this way and spend money on products and magazines and movies and whatever else. You have to be confident in yourself, you have to have a strong value in yourself and your life.
    You weren't too harsh or mean. I just have bad days like most, and tonight is one of those. I'm just tired of the pressure. I know I have good qualites, but I pick at my flaws. Health and fitness is my new hobby, just want to reach a milestone.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    I wrote this on my wall today..

beauty is as beauty does. dont be jealous or compare yourself to someone else.. they have insecurities too.. they just dont let them show.. so people that you may be envious of.. they may be envious of you for different reasons. so be your own person.. shine out bright.. dont compare yourself to others its a waste of energy that will get you nowhere. instead become the best version of you that's possible.. that's what they did.what are you waiting for? become that bright shining star i know that's inside of you wanting to come out from the darkness that you hide behind.. the mask you protect yourself with.. step out of your comfort zone and say world look at me.. im special because you are.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Building positive self esteem is like building muscle. It's something you need to work at and you can't expect it to happen on its own. Start off by being your own best friend. Everytime you criticise yourself too harshly pull yourself up and say something positive about yourself instead. Start saying thanks for the good things in your life. There are lots of ways to start changing your mind set but like changing your body, it requires patience and dedication :flowerforyou:
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Read this today: "Comparison is the thief of joy."

That was a comment on this series of photos featuring Lewis CK talking with a girl...

Photo 1: girl looking very upset: "Why does she get one and not me? It's not fair"
    Photo 2: Lewis CK looking down at girl and lecturing her: "You're never gonna get the same as other people; it's never gonna be equal"
    Photo 3: similar photo as #2: "It's not gonna happen, ever in your life, so you must learn that now, okay?"
    Photo 4: Lewis CK squatting down and looking seriously and compassionately at girl: "Listen. The only time you should look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure they have enough. You don't look in your neighbor's bowl to see if you have as much as them."

I think the same thing is true for any physical trait or success in life or whatever...