Should I update my weight daily?

Options
2»

Replies

• rpaxton516
    rpaxton516 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight associated with my cycle....

That would totally be the reason why I'm back to my original weight from three weeks ago. I've been looking for the answer and getting really mad about why I'm not down *even more* after all the work I've done in the garden the past two days. Thank you so much for that explanation, kristenveganv!

I try to weigh myself every morning. For a good long while there I was consistently losing. I was like "I'm never going to see that ugly number again!" then it returned yesterday after I didn't do anything wrong diet-wise or exercise-wise.
  • lucydavey75
    Options
    I may take a sneaky peek every other day but the only one that counts is Friday Mornings,which I log on here xx
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. The fluctuation is a good reminder that it's just a number; water, hormones, what I ate, and a lot of other things influence my weight. It keeps me grounded.

Weighing myself once a week would be really annoying, if it happened that I on the day before/after would have weighed less, but since I wouldn't know that I'd work myself up over nothing. You're not supposed to lose too much at once and 500 g is small enough to be explained by said fluctuations in water etc. contents and once weekly weigh-ins could efficiently mask what's going on behind the curtain so to speak.
  • ramyad1
    ramyad1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I get depressed and eat more, emotional eater, when my weight fluctuates. I'm losing weight to reduce belly size, not to reduce how heavy I am. I would not mind if I weighed 100's of kilos, as long as I was trim without a pot belly :-)

So, I measure my body size and work out body fat % versus what my weight as. But, as all of MFP and dieting is incorrectly about body weight, I still measure once a week.

MFP should have an inch tracker as I know what waist/hip ratio and chest size I would like to be.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    MFP should have an inch tracker as I know what waist/hip ratio and chest size I would like to be.
    What is it in the Check-In that you're tracking if not inches?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Probably no 'correct' answer. Do what works for you, and keeps you 'on-task'. It is real important, as has been said here many time, to know that weight loss isn't linear. If you accept that, frequency of weigh ins is a personal choice.

I record quite often in a personal journal, I expect variations and am totally prepared mentally to deal with them. Having seen peaks and valleys many times in the first few weeks, I learned to expect them and knew not to worry. I am only recording losses in MFP to stop annoying my friends with posts telling my friends that I lost one tenth of a pound.

I actually am afraid to wait too long between weigh ins for a very strange reason.........I can live with day-to-day fluctuations but I am not sure how I would handle waiting two weeks before weigh ins, and finding out I didn't lose weight. That could sure be discouraging, thinking about how hard I tried, all the exercise I got, all the dedication, and see no results.

This is a common thread for a good reason, almost everyone on MFP has an opinion on it, and it is hard to disagree with everything I read above! Just keep trying, and do what works for you.

Good luck
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I weight every day before breakfast, and enter it into the Libra app. I now have a lovely graph with a trend line that shows roughly how quickly I might reach my next goal or mini-goal. In the past, I never ever weighed myself, and I find that doing it daily is actually easier. I'm getting to understand how weight fluctuates up and down. It's one more piece of the puzzle, and it fits well with tracking daily calories.
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I log on Friday morning, if I am 2 lbs less than the previous week I allow myself some indulgence over the weekend, I only want to lose 1 lb a week. I usually check my weight on Wednesday. I also track my weekly calories now, it helps me to stay in check and adjust my intake.