Hog Roast - (Cornish style) - end of debate :happy:
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The one on my plate.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    I will eat all the bbq. I don't care where it comes from.

DITTO lol
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think this is the first time I'm learning BBQ is the name of the cuisine? Where I am from it is just the apparatus for making hot dogs and hamburgers. So is any grilled, pulled meat with barbecue sauce, barbecue? What is this?!!

The apparatus is interchangeably referred to as a barbecue or a grill, but (in terms of American) BBQ cuisine, it's typically slow cooked. In order to get that soft, fall-off-the-bone texture associated with Southern BBQ, it takes many hours of smoking/slow cooking/etc. What people do when they throw a steak or a hot dog on the barbecue at their home is actually grilling. But this is much more a Southern/Southeastern thing, so it's totally reasonable that a Northwesterner wouldn't know that. I didn't know what sweet tea was until I moved to Virginia; I thought it was that raspberry tea stuff. :smile:

(There are other BBQ cuisines, like Korean, for example, where the "slow cook" part comes from the marinating, but the actual hot cooking is done on a grill and is pretty quick.)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Texas-style, all the way. Everything else ain't worth eating, in my opinion. That vinegar "sauce" folks use in Carolina? Oh, my Lord. I feel sorry for folks who have to eat that stuff.

Let the flaming commence! (hold on for a sec, y'all, and let me grab a brisket to put on those flames)
    I didn't know there was any other kind ? If it ain't Texan it ain't BBQ. Mmmmm Brisket :drinker: , Beer and Swimin Pool of course :drinker:
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Pastrami Thursdays at Blue Willy's, best sandwich ever!

image.jpg
    New York???? Ya'll don't know what BBQ is!!
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    I think this is the first time I'm learning BBQ is the name of the cuisine? Where I am from it is just the apparatus for making hot dogs and hamburgers. So is any grilled, pulled meat with barbecue sauce, barbecue? What is this?!!

The apparatus is interchangeably referred to as a barbecue or a grill, but (in terms of American) BBQ cuisine, it's typically slow cooked. In order to get that soft, fall-off-the-bone texture associated with Southern BBQ, it takes many hours of smoking/slow cooking/etc. What people do when they throw a steak or a hot dog on the barbecue at their home is actually grilling. But this is much more a Southern/Southeastern thing, so it's totally reasonable that a Northwesterner wouldn't know that. I didn't know what sweet tea was until I moved to Virginia; I thought it was that raspberry tea stuff. :smile:

(There are other BBQ cuisines, like Korean, for example, where the "slow cook" part comes from the marinating, but the actual hot cooking is done on a grill and is pretty quick.)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah thank you. I just learned about sweet tea too! I will be in Houston for an 8 hr layover coming up. Any of you Texans know of any good BBQ I could try there without having to rent a car?
  • bcoop911
    bcoop911 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    KC BBQ is pretty damn good :-)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    vegan bbq is the best bbq
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to say that Georgia BBQ is by the best damned BBQ in the country, followed closely by South Caroline and KC running in 3rd, and only for ribs.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Korean barbecue.

Ok, I spent a good deal of time growing up in Texas and will always have a special place in my heart for brisket, but OMG Korean BBQ! A good friend in Los Angeles took us to this place, open air picnic tables to seat 40 with a corrugated steal roof and a massive open kitchen, sitting in the middle of Santa Monica. It was all you can eat and I have never stuffed my face so completely!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    vegan bbq is the best bbq

I'm actually very interested in this answer.... so what is a vegan bbq? grill some vegetables and put some sauce on it or is it more complicated then that? What is the best sauce for grilled vegetables?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Memphis in May BBQ-fest! 2 weeks away...

I going to eat all the meats and the chickens and the sausages and...um...and...did I meantion I get free VIP passes for Southern Towing's tent? Yeah baby! Alls the BBQs!
  • grim_streaker
    grim_streaker Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    All of it! Nom. MEAT! :heart:

^THIS!!!!!!^
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you are all very misguided =)
    Nothing beats the Great British BBQ!! Mainly because we have 1nice day a year so we have to take advantage =)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you are all very misguided =)
    Nothing beats the Great British BBQ!! Mainly because we have 1nice day a year so we have to take advantage =)

Yeah...that is why Prince William and Prince Harry when to BBQ while in Memphis huh? HA!
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Vinegar based...with a side of Cole slaw...Eastern NC girl, here
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I think every state/region have something better than other. I travel a lot so I am lucky to taste lot of different styles of BBQ.
    Moist Beef Brisket: Texas
    Pulled pork: GA
    Ribs with BBQ Sauce: Kansas, the best I had was in Oklahoma joes Kansas City.
    Dry Rub Ribs: Missisipi and Tennessee.
    I also dig the Bbq sauce from Carolina's. I personally like all of the BBQ if done well.
  • toomanycats1975
    Options
    My favorite ever was a mom & pop place in Kansas City years ago, but sadly I don't recall the name. I know I ate there during the American Royal Horse Show. I need to figure out where it was!