i don't lift heavy. pics

Options
I've been at this for over a year and i do lots of reps 20-50 per set using 10 lb dumbells for shoulder press and tricep kickbacks. only use a resistant band for biceps and pullups. doing a bunch of pushups various position and lat raises etc 8-10 lb. i do 2 days upper and two days lower and one day everything. this is just an example of upper body while i say i don't lift heavy i do lift to fatigue and didn't start at these weights . I also do this as part of my bootcamp class which i enjoy i know its not the norm but it has worked for me. I'm 53 5'2" and 127[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/abyreb53/Mobile Uploads/0504141219_zpsqm57oagw.jpg[/img] sorry still trying to get image

Replies

• annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think you look awesome! It's working for you, so I think it shows there is more than one way to reach a goal. Keep it up!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Nice shoulders, arms and abs! I am so glad you posted this because I don't plan to lift heavy but I want definition in my arms, like yours. Thanks! You look inspiring!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yup that happens with resistence training. My sister looks that same way doing resistence training.

It's great if that is your goal.

Me as a heavy lifter have different goals than just being lean. I want to lift heavy things easily, I want to do at least 10 chin ups etc...in other words I want strength..that's why I lift heavy along with the added benefits that you have as well...lean, defined etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You look great and you seem to be enjoying your routine and both of those things are important so I'm pleased that you're doing well. There's many ways to improve your body and your health (altho I admit that sometimes the forums present as if there is One True Way) so people should try to find what works for them.

That said, "lifting heavy" is the thing that works best for improving overall strength and bone density more than anything else. So it has the same "I wanna look good" benefits as lifting 10 pounds for 50 reps, but it also comes with a side of "no, I don't need your help because I can carry my own heavy shish" along with a dash of delaying the onset of osteoporosis.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about losing weight, then it's going to be about diet more than exercise. The choice of how someone lifts will be a preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over a year and i do lots of reps 20-50 per set using 10 lb dumbells for shoulder press and tricep kickbacks. only use a resistant band for biceps and pullups. doing a bunch of pushups various position and lat raises etc 8-10 lb. i do 2 days upper and two days lower and one day everything. this is just an example of upper body while i say i don't lift heavy i do lift to fatigue and didn't start at these weights . I also do this as part of my bootcamp class which i enjoy i know its not the norm but it has worked for me. I'm 53 5'2" and 127[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/abyreb53/Mobile Uploads/0504141219_zpsqm57oagw.jpg[/img] sorry still trying to get image

Since you posted in fitness and exercise I'm guessing this is open to questions yes? Yes, okay...

1) how much time per workout session do you spend doing those 20-50 per set reps? How long does each workout take?
    2) it sounds like you are working out 5 days a week with weights. Do you ever wish to spend less days a week lifting and leave some days for rest or cardio of some sort like running or another form of endurance?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    ^^^ 50 reps sets are DEFINITELY cardio :smile:

Good work OP.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I can lift heavy things 40 lb bags of dogfood, 5gal water jugs. Even carried my 23 lb turkey back to camp, that kinda stuff. I have lots of arthritis so my joints dont allow me to do as much as id like. Osteoperiosis is diffently a concern thats why i do body weight exercises as well. I was not this lean last year so im very happy with the results. If i had acess to the right equipment i would do more heavy lifting i know i would enjoy it too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You look great!

When I was younger I lifted moderate and did lots of reps and a few sets. That just seemed natural to me. I had excellent results.

Now I lift heavier with less reps and I like this as well.

Great work!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    This gives me hope. I don't have a lot of weights to work with to manage true heavy lifting and gym is not an option ATM. I am glad I might be able to achieve the look I would love to get without doing heavy lifting. Not against it; just can't manage it. You look beautiful.
  • margannmks
    Options
    Since you posted in fitness and exercise I'm guessing this is open to questions yes? Yes, okay...

1) how much time per workout session do you spend doing those 20-50 per set reps? How long does each workout take?
    2) it sounds like you are working out 5 days a week with weights. Do you ever wish to spend less days a week lifting and leave some days for rest or cardio of some sort like running or another form of endurance?
    [/quote] i go to boot camp mon- fri. Mon & tues is lower body,wed & thurs is upper body and fri is total body. They are arranged where one is more cardio based and one is more strength based alternating days. The classes are 1 hour and the last 10- 15 min is core and stretch. For ex if mon is cardio lower body we will do more jump squats, box jumps, plyo lunges, high knees, mountain climbers etc then tues lower body would be more squats, lunges with weights, bad dogs,scorpions, saddle bag busters with resistance band so yes i do back to back lower body with weights just varying amountsof reps and back to back upper body the same . Its always a different workout, if that makes any sense. And of course warmup is burpees, high kees,jumping jacks sometimes we run outside. I get plenty of cardio i would like more weight but at those reps its not possible for me, but i go higher when it gets to easy if only for 10 reps then back down when i thonk my form is suffering, for other 10. Same with pushups i do as many as i can regulation then switch to knees then next set go back to reg again. Its all about challenging yourself and staying out of your comfort zone.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    You look AWESOME! I will be 53 this year and want some muscle like that! Please share more!
  • margannmks
    Options
    This gives me hope. I don't have a lot of weights to work with to manage true heavy lifting and gym is not an option ATM. I am glad I might be able to achieve the look I would love to get without doing heavy lifting. Not against it; just can't manage it. You look beautiful.
    thank you. Im by no means bashing lifting heavy i really want to do it too but dont have the means either. This took a long time but persistants pays off. Ive lost 25 lbs in two years. Diet dosent work for me i have to workout hard. I did this in my 30 s when i went to spa lady i was the only using free weights back then and i unfortunanetly let myself go back to no exercise and slowly piled the weight on then menapause and so on. So ive done this before.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your results, you should keep it up.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Excellent, well done!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    you look awesome! I am aiming for this in the next 12-18 months..tho I do heavy lifting ..whatever works I say keep it up.
  • margannmks
    Options
    Thank you. Is that a boston terrier? I have boxers and if we ever "downsize" thats what we want.