i don't lift heavy. pics

Options
2»

Replies

• GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Great job! You look great and I believe that's a French Bulldog.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    You look great and you seem to be enjoying your routine and both of those things are important so I'm pleased that you're doing well. There's many ways to improve your body and your health (altho I admit that sometimes the forums present as if there is One True Way) so people should try to find what works for them.

That said, "lifting heavy" is the thing that works best for improving overall strength and bone density more than anything else. So it has the same "I wanna look good" benefits as lifting 10 pounds for 50 reps, but it also comes with a side of "no, I don't need your help because I can carry my own heavy shish" along with a dash of delaying the onset of osteoporosis.

Also expediency, 'cause, less reps.

OP, you look great.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! A real inspiration :-)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You look really great. Thanks for posting this. Heavy lifting is very effective for those who want to do it, but I have seen people on this site who are worried that it is the only way to get in shape, and can't do it for one reason or another.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Is that a boston terrier? I have boxers and if we ever "downsize" thats what we want.
    Glassslipers is correct,,he is a frenchie!
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! It sounds like you truly enjoy your workouts, you are where you want to be, and you're definitely toned! Nice work! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Low body fat and good definition aren't exclusive to lifting heavy which is what you have. But- as Dave pointed out- there is significant not readily seen benefits of lower rep- higher weight lifting.

Congrats on looking fabulous though- and kudo's to getting all that cardio in- I couldn't do it.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You look great! Thanks for sharing.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over a year and i do lots of reps 20-50 per set using 10 lb dumbells for shoulder press and tricep kickbacks. only use a resistant band for biceps and pullups. doing a bunch of pushups various position and lat raises etc 8-10 lb. i do 2 days upper and two days lower and one day everything. this is just an example of upper body while i say i don't lift heavy i do lift to fatigue and didn't start at these weights . I also do this as part of my bootcamp class which i enjoy i know its not the norm but it has worked for me. I'm 53 5'2" and 127[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/abyreb53/Mobile Uploads/0504141219_zpsqm57oagw.jpg[/img] sorry still trying to get image
    You look awesome! More motivation for me! Now I need to figure out a strength training program. Please friend me and share! Prefer stuff I can do at home, especially would like band exercises.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Is that a boston terrier? I have boxers and if we ever "downsize" thats what we want.
    Glassslipers is correct,,he is a frenchie!
    Love Frenchies! I have a papillon and a big Doberman. Both girls. Pap is 1/2 inch over standard, dobe is huge. 27.5", 85-90 lbs.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    You have AMAZING arms. Way jealous (:
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Low body fat and good definition aren't exclusive to lifting heavy which is what you have. But- as Dave pointed out- there is significant not readily seen benefits of lower rep- higher weight lifting.

Congrats on looking fabulous though- and kudo's to getting all that cardio in- I couldn't do it.
    you are so right on the hating cardio, this is the only way i can do it. When i was in my 30s i would do the "obligtory" 40 min of cardio then hit the weights which i loved. It took me 2 hours 5 days aweek to do my routine. As far as low body fat according to that hand held thingie im 28 so i think i have a ways to go there. Being a lifetime exerciser ive run the gamut of jan fonda to gilad to jackie warner. These bootcamp classes have not become boring or routine but im lucky to have a gym owner who pushes me and doesnt cut me any slack for being older.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I saw the frenchie as soon as you said that .my boxer mug was checking out a boston that day at the park i guess the black white coloring got me. And last year i was hating shopping for shirts,its like do these people know most women want to cover there upper arms ,wheres the 3/4 length. Ive never had this definition before. I shoot a compound bow and i have some pics from 2 years ago and last year of me drawing back and i can see major improvement. I pull 50 lbs on my bow but when im practising i take it down to 45 lbs. so i can shoot longer thats one reason i started doing more resistance training.