Where does weight go?

Options
jdb3388
jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
Scientifically speaking, of course. How does the mass leave your body? Through sweat? Excrement? Or does it just vanish into thin air?

Replies

• NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've kind of wondered this too! ...
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Now I am curious. I have never really thought about it, was just glad to see it go.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump! Always wanted to know this.
  • jan5500
    jan5500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It has to be leaving in "waste" and urine. That's why we keep drinking all of that water!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Scientifically speaking, of course. How does the mass leave your body? Through sweat? Excrement? Or does it just vanish into thin air?

Scientifically speaking I think you take vanish off your list. Maybe add evaporation...just spitballing.....
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's broken down and burned as energy.
  • emazen78
    emazen78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It is lost as CO2 and H2O.

Basically, you breathe most of it out as a waste gas. Some of it leaves as water (not necessarily as urine).
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think it burns up like gas in a car engine. The waste is expelled pretty much the same way but the energy is burned up in a biomechanical way. I'm not a med student tho so that's just a guess.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Here is the equation of the oxidation of glucose:

Glucose + 6 O2 <=> 6 CO2 + 6 H2O

End result is CO2 and H20.

The CO2 is the result of the citric acid cycle.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Basically, you breathe most of it out as a waste gas. Some of it leaves as water (not necessarily as urine).

You know, I did this STUPID breath-focused weight loss routine probably about 15 years ago or so and the idea behind it was that a certain kind of breathing pattern coupled with squeezing your muscles tight would "blow" the fat off your body through your exhalations. I couldn't stick with it (I had to do this ridiculous lion-face thing...come on, I can't have been the only one that fell for this one, right?) and decided it was all hooey. How interesting that there was a tiny shred of scientific reasoning behind it!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It goes to me. I swear, anybody loses weight, I gain theirs. ;-)
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The article states: " If our bodies were cars, energy would be the gas to keep everything running." Muhahaha! They used the same analogy I did! Props for the CNA! I'm ready for medical school (maybe not).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

So our mass comes primarily from carbon, nitrogen and oxygen. Carbon forming the backbone of all of our molecules, nitrogen being present in our proteins and oxygen being present in most macromolecules and a primary constituent of water.

CO2 from breath, nitrogen from excrement and water from excrement and sweat and evaporation are the primary mass movers. Think about plants...where do plants get their mass from? They uptake CO2 and they expel O2. Where do we lose our mass from? We uptake O2 and expel CO2. We balance that out by injesting food.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I found that breathing harder and faster causes to lose much more weight.

But then again, I was breathing that way because of workouts and runs.

WHen you lose weight it get burnt for energy. Just like extra calories you body doesnt use gets packed on, you use more and it burns up sort of like gas as someone else stated.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too but in all honesty.... I'M JUST GLAD IT'S LEAVING LOL!!
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options

You know, I did this STUPID breath-focused weight loss routine probably about 15 years ago or so and the idea behind it was that a certain kind of breathing pattern coupled with squeezing your muscles tight would "blow" the fat off your body through your exhalations. I couldn't stick with it (I had to do this ridiculous lion-face thing...come on, I can't have been the only one that fell for this one, right?) and decided it was all hooey. How interesting that there was a tiny shred of scientific reasoning behind it!

I remember the commercials for that!! Never DID it, but I remember the commercials. lol
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ...and I will be honest, i find it kinda sad that people didnt know where it goes.