Where does weight go?

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's broken down and used for energy... basically, it becomes heat.

Waste products are excreted how they always are - exhalation (CO2), sweat, urine, feces.

It's actually E = mc^2, or in this case mass = E/c^2.

Uhm... no. We do not do nuclear conversions of mass to energy in our cells. We do chemical conversions. The mass doesn't change with energy released. The mass of CO2 and H2O waste product exactly equals the mass of of the material used up.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    WAIT!!!! I know this one!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/438315-when-is-a-pound-lost-and-where-does-it-go?hl=calorie+where+does+it+go

An excerpt:

"well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week.
    2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows best."
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/438315-when-is-a-pound-lost-and-where-does-it-go?hl=calorie+where+does+it+go

An excerpt:

"well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week.
    2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows best."

Who in the WHAT NOW? :vigorous head shake:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

An excerpt:

LOL I was JUST going to link this same quote!

It becomes chicken fat, yo.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Waste products are excreted how they always are - exhalation (CO2), sweat, urine, feces.

Uhm... no. We do not do nuclear conversions of mass to energy in our cells. We do chemical conversions. The mass doesn't change with energy released. The mass of CO2 and H2O waste product exactly equals the mass of of the material used up.

Yes. Thank you. We are not nuclear reactors.

If E=mc^2 were the relevant equation, you would have to burn about a trillion calories (kcal) to lose a pound.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

An excerpt:

LOL I was JUST going to link this same quote!

It becomes chicken fat, yo.

Embrace the chicken fat. \m/
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Too much thinking for me! My head hurts now! I bust my butt at the gym and eat right and it goes away...that's all I care about!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

Yes. Thank you. We are not nuclear reactors.

If E=mc^2 were the relevant equation, you would have to burn about a trillion calories (kcal) to lose a pound.

I got about 10 trillion kcal when I calculated it out...
    (9,752,151,050,000)...

It would take forever to lose any weight if that was the case. Lol
  • peacheswi
    peacheswi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is lost as CO2 and H2O.

Basically, you breathe most of it out as a waste gas. Some of it leaves as water (not necessarily as urine).

You know, I did this STUPID breath-focused weight loss routine probably about 15 years ago or so and the idea behind it was that a certain kind of breathing pattern coupled with squeezing your muscles tight would "blow" the fat off your body through your exhalations. I couldn't stick with it (I had to do this ridiculous lion-face thing...come on, I can't have been the only one that fell for this one, right?) and decided it was all hooey. How interesting that there was a tiny shred of scientific reasoning behind it!

** YUP *** I was cleaning about a month ago and found my VHS tape of this! I laughed so hard! I did try it years ago, and now the tape is gone forever. lol
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I admit that I should have paid better attention in Science class but I have always wondered about this too. So I get that it's expelled in a variety of ways, but does it still weigh the same? So if I lose 50 pounds does the earth now weigh 50 lbs less or is 50lbs on me 50lbs of something else after I lose it. :)

Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. I KNOW I'm not the only one. lol
  • BurntCoffee
    Options
    Thanks! I'll go check it out. :)
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It turns into little fatty alien babies, then those are taken aboard the mothership.

tumblr_inline_mpfkk2OLw31qdmrzf.gif
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Does that mean if I breathe on my husband he will gain weight?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

E=mc2 doesn't really factor into it, your body isn't a nuclear reactor. Mass converts to such a large amount of energy that if you did calculate how much "mass" your body would expend based on its energy expenditure in watts it would be an absolutely pitiful unmeasurably tiny amount.

The amount of material that fissions in a nuclear bomb or the amount that fuses in a thermonuclear bomb is measured in grams if that is any indication of what weight to energy looks like in E=mc2
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I admit that I should have paid better attention in Science class but I have always wondered about this too. So I get that it's expelled in a variety of ways, but does it still weigh the same? So if I lose 50 pounds does the earth now weigh 50 lbs less or is 50lbs on me 50lbs of something else after I lose it. :)

Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. I KNOW I'm not the only one. lol

The amount of matter exchanged with space from the earth is pretty much negligible. Therefore you can for the most part consider any mass exchange taking place on earth to net zero change in mass. So if you lose 50 pounds then yes everything that is not you gains a total of 50 pounds. Mass is conserved in a closed system. The earth is technically an open system but practically its a closed system.

If you wanted to know where most of that mass ends up I would assume the atmosphere and plants at least until something eats the plant and you eat that in which case its back on you again.

Its the circle of fat.
  • BurntCoffee
    Options
    Got it! Conservation of mass explains it! That is a fascinating video. Thank you for sharing it. I already feel smarter. Sorta. :)

Eat less. Move more. Keep breathing.

What if I breath in someone elses breakfast? ;)
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Never thought of this. Interested to find out.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Simplistically speaking, matter can neither be created or destroyed, so your weight "matter" is changed by your body into various compounds it uses for energy. Many different compounds are formed, used, reformed into other things, used again and so on. Once the body has gotten as much out of it as possible, the matter is ultimately excreted in the form of water, carbon dioxide, and given off as heat durning the processes. Interestingly, the source of all the energy inside us and all living things rained down on us from the sun.