Is walking a legitimate exercise?

Options

Replies

• ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I personally don't consider exercise something that does not raise my heart rate to a high level.

I always walked a lot... it's just leisure for me. Even as I got fat I walked a lot because it calms me... it's like reading or watching a good movie... I just couldn't consider it exercise/workout.
    I was active, but I ate a lot too.

But for a sedentary person it's exercise. it's just a point of view.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It burns calories, it's exercise. Maybe not as much as doing other things, but still.
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My first attempt at weight loss a few years ago, the only exercise I did was walk to/from work (granted, about 50 minutes each way). So yes, it is definitely exercise!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are walkers, and yes, I log it. We walk for hours on the weekends. We are often stopping to look at shops, but also walk at a very fast pace. If we walk 2.5 hours at a mixed pace I log it as 2 hours, walking the dog---you'll find it under exercise MFP. Another plus ladies. I just read an article here in Italy on celulite, and it says that only 2 types of exercises are useful in improving it greatly--fast walking and swimming. I used to have alot more celulite, but now have hardly any, and I'm 59---so start walking! :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Walking is a *kitten*. Its parents NEVER got married!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My first 20 plus pounds on MFP were lost with walking.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.

If you want to build muscle, then it's not the choice that will work for that.

But, yes, it absolutely is exercise. And you are using and working and moving your body way more than sitting in a chair or being in bed asleep.

I walk everyday, and I don't consider it to be my main exercise, but I do consider it to be my warm up and a contribution to my overall fitness, exercise, health, and activity.

But, for me, if all I did was walk, my fitness would eventually decline. But, it would decline slower than if I just sat in a chair.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I also wonder about whether or not it builds muscle. I live in a hilly area and my legs KILL after walking. Plus somedays I push a stroller with my toddler in it and those days I can barely make it up a hill and my calves burn like crazy. Yet I've read that it's just cardio and that cardio can make you lose muscle as well as fat. Don't get it!
  • Jiminibee
    Jiminibee Posts: 82
    Options
    Short answer: YES.

Longer answer: Not the most effective for fat loss or strength/muscle gain by a long shot, but our ancestors walked A LOT, and our bodies have adapted well to it. It is literally part of what our bodies are meant to do. It shouldn't be the only exercise you do, but each persons abilities are relative, and it is most definitely legitimate!

A good baseline is (from Mark Sisson/Primal Blueprint):

Lift heavy things 2-3 times a week
    Sprint HARD once every 7-10 days
    Walk an hour a day/5 hours a week

Walking is awesome for many reasons, and should be part of everyone's lifestyle. Like swimming, climbing, running, dancing, f...ing... you get the idea.

Don't forget to squeeze those glutes for better posture!

EDIT: clarity
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have never heard anyone say walking is not exercise.

Walking is great. Its free, doesn't require any particular skill, equipment or location. Pretty much anyone, anywhere.

I'm of the mind that moving more is better than moving less. Would walking at 2.0 mph do me much good? Probably not, for some depending on their fitness level and ability that could be a pretty good workout. Truthfully I 'run' barely faster than I can walk, but I can walk for much longer.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the distance and speed. If I walk two miles at a good brisk pace - break a sweat, have to catch my breath - then yes, it's exercise. But strolling isn't to me. And I don't usually count anything under a mile either.

I agree with not counting under a mile (I guess that number would be different for other people) but I don't think you have to be out of breath.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I consider walking great exercise.... especially since for most people, me included, the alternative is doing absolutely nothing
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My first 20 plus pounds on MFP were lost with walking.

Yeah walking !
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I take my dog for a walk, we have a 3 mile route that includes going up and down some substantial hills, stairs and even a few periods of jogging. I count that as exercise. If I take him around the block for 10 minutes, I'm not breaking a sweat or burning several calories, but it's still better than sitting on my butt! So I vote yes! Walking is exercise :)
  • brittany2188
    Options
    I watched a show the other day about a young woman who was 600+ lbs. Her only exercise was walking from the house, to the end of the driveway, and back.. One time. It's not far and she certainly didn't move quick, but it was exercise nonetheless. Yes, I'm aware that she was morbidly obese and walking that far was definitely more of a workout for her than it would be for someone who wasn't morbidly obese. I think if it gets you off your butt, it's exercise.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Walking is always exercise. No exceptions... no it doesn't matter what pace you're going at it's still exercise.

Why? Because you're burning calories and working the muscles beyond their resting state. All these exceptions and qualifications people put are making are BS.

Yes, you can gain additional benefits by pushing yourself harder and moving faster, but there is significant benefit simply to strolling.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Certainly is for me. Due to my weight and busted up knees I'm not allowed to do much running yet, but I walk A LOT. Like burning 800-1000 calories a day, most days just by walking. Sure I have to walk long distances and seek out hills to do it, but it's gettin the job done.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Walking as a defined exercise is legitimate - browsing the mall for an hour? Maybe? I personally wouldn't count it as "exercise," but if it's substantially more than you've been doing, go for it!

Any activity is better than no activity, and if your browsing the mall can turn into a brisk lap AROUND the mall, I say even better!
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    walking is a form of exercise and it does burn calories, along with watching what you eat you will loose weight and be toned. :)
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is.

I do all kinds of exercises, with running being my favorite. But I do all kinds of walking... sometimes I walk 8-10 miles in one day. And yes, I for sure count that.

Here is what I don't count:
    Anything under 1 mile
    Walking around at work/school/grocery shopping/mall even when its more than an hour.

Those things above I just count as normal daily activities, but any walking outside of that I count as an exercise.

I burned 600 calories doing 3 hours of walking last week :) That is the day I walked 9 miles.