Treadmill running= pancake butt? Say it ain't so!

Options
I read an article stating that running on the treadmill (versus outdoors) will kill your booty because you aren't activating your glutes in the same way you would if you were running outdoors.

Thoughts?
Yay or nay?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, neither is particularly optimal for creating or retaining booty.
    But focus on pushing back with your stride and you can still activate glutes fairly well while treadmilling.
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can also compensate for the unnatural gait by raising the incline by a scooch.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can also compensate for the unnatural gait by raising the incline by a scooch.

I usually maintain a 2.5% incline- is that enough? I would hate to be undoing the weight training I am doing, haha.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    That's a myth raising the incline does not make it like running outside
    http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

OP the article you were reading sounds like a bunch of nonsense in reality
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You know what will kill your booty? Not doing SQUATS!!!
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I squat- as I mentioned in my previous post about not wanting to undo the strength training I am doing.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Proper form activates the glutes when running. That said, many runners fail to use the glutes and rely more on the hamstring creating an imbalance and inefficient strides. Even Runner's World editors have those issues.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/the-whole-body-fix
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Just strength train and make sure you're incorporating squats! You'll be fine.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's why I always have hamstring issues! I need to do squats! (But (or butt) I hate squats! They're a necessary evil, I guess (just like the evil stairmaster)!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

I squat- as I mentioned in my previous post about not wanting to undo the strength training I am doing.

If you are already squatting, treadmills won't undo the work.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's why I always have hamstring issues! I need to do squats! (But (or butt) I hate squats! They're a necessary evil, I guess (just like the evil stairmaster)!

I used to hate squats! Now, I love doing them. At my highest weights, they still intimidate me . . . but, it is possible to grow to like squats. The trick is to start light, very light. . . . perhaps, even with just the bar. Then, every time, add 5 lbs. to your sets and reps. Slowly, as your legs and back get stronger, it will not feel that bad any more. Might even begin to like it.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    Try an AMT (adaptive motion trainer) a few times a week in addition to a traditional treadmill. An AMT is like running underwater and in sand at the same time. You can automatically change the stride, the resistance, you can go backward or use it like a stair stepper. I've always had a Kardashian/Minaj/Lopez backside and the AMT has really helped to keep it that way while shaping the rest of my hips and legs pretty well. But combining an AMT, a treadmill and squats (especially plie squats) really helps keep the glutes engaged.
  • teamesteve
    teamesteve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might even try just using bodyweight or a broomstick until you're comfortable getting low (by low I mean beyond thighs parallel to the ground). Once you know what low is and have good form, then gradually up the weight as stated above.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Proper form activates the glutes when running. That said, many runners fail to use the glutes and rely more on the hamstring creating an imbalance and inefficient strides. Even Runner's World editors have those issues.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/the-whole-body-fix

I went to a physical therapist for awhile because of some running issues. He definitely said my issues were because I was pulling too much and not pushing enough. He made me practice the mantra "RUN WITH YOUR BUTT - RUN WITH YOUR BUTT." He even joked about putting together a playlist for me in which he would do a voice over every few minutes reminding me to run with my butt. ha. I still struggle with it, but I definitely feel I'm better at it now than I used to be... I don't seem to notice a difference between road v. treadmill with this issue.
  • luckyhat4
    luckyhat4 Posts: 2
    Options
    For getting a booty, what I have heard works best is kettlebell swings and squats. As far as keeping your treadmill running from negating the booty you've built up from lifting, all I can really recommend is proper form for running on treadmills, which should work out your legs, core, and posterior chain in addition to providing cardio. Do 1% incline to simulate wind resistance. Make sure you're wearing running shoes or cross-trainers, not sneakers. Running barefoot or with something like Vibrams is best because it prevents the weird gait bodies naturally tend towards when running (wherein you emphasize heelstrikes, which are bad for your feet) but being barefoot or with little support will be painful at first. Run leaning forward slightly, landing on the ball of your foot. Keep your hands about level with your nipples and your elbows close to your sides. And try to focus only on contracting your foot up and towards your glutes after your footstrike, and just let your other foot fall due to gravity. You should feel like you're tipping forward the whole time and when stopping you'll naturally lean back. Be careful to watch out for knee and ankle irregularity (you can sprain/tear/etc. if you run incorrectly or if a running method, like the one I outlined, is too stressful on your joints).

Good luck protecting your booty! Booties are great!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I read an article stating that running on the treadmill (versus outdoors) will kill your booty because you aren't activating your glutes in the same way you would if you were running outdoors.

It's not specifically a dreadmill issue, if your running form isn't correct then there is potential for the glutes to be disengaged from the cycle. If you end up with a muscular imbalance then there is the potential for injury.

That's why lots of runners do some resistance training, to mitigate the effects of muscular imbalance. Also, improving the strength in the glutes can help to improve explosive power, hence running performance.
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options

It's not specifically a dreadmill issue, if your running form isn't correct then there is potential for the glutes to be disengaged from the cycle. If you end up with a muscular imbalance then there is the potential for injury.

That's why lots of runners do some resistance training, to mitigate the effects of muscular imbalance. Also, improving the strength in the glutes can help to improve explosive power, hence running performance.

^^^this.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    As long as you are squatting to where you are challenging yourself, and making attempts to keep adding weight, you won't be losing a tremendous amount of your gains, though a lot of that has to do with how long you are doing cardio for and your macros.

Don't be afraid to challenge yourself when it comes to weights. The rewards don't come from lifting the pink dumbells. If you are squatting, that tells me that you already understand that last part.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is best to stop reading and just go exercise.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is best to stop reading and just go exercise.

OMG! Bahahaha! :laugh: :drinker: