up 6 pounds in 2 weeks...what could it be ?

Options
cvcman
cvcman Posts: 438 Member
Ok I still have been running/biking 7 days a week...nothing has changed except I mixed in some HIT training oo...admit over easter I splurged and ate lots of jelly beans and ice cream while on vacation but that was weeks ago and after that week I was at 138 pounds...last thursday I was 142...now today 144...wth is going on im climbing like crazy

could this be a health issue ? I still eat some pretzles at night after supper but I scrape the salt off......i cut back on my cals again last week.....i havent weighed this much in over a year

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention from salt and/or new or increased exercise (when muscles hold on to water).

Not sure how much you are eating, if you are tracking, how close you are to your GW, etc. All that makes a difference.
  • cvcman
    Options
    my goal was 140 or just under which I have been at even when I ate ice cream everyday....other than the easter week and the week after all the candy ????
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's mixing in the HIT training. Starting an exercise program can increase water weight, but so can intensifying one.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I started doing HIIT workouts, I was up 6 pounds too. It went back down after a couple weeks.
  • cvcman
    Options
    naaa im not sure thats it.....I was doing it a yr ago too and didnt spike up...this bums me big time....I told the wife im ready to just bag it and eat what I want when I want and do my exercise and forget the scale..I dont notice my pants any tighter....for the last 6 or 8 weeks ive been cheating on Thursdays and eating a couple slices of pizza with a small bag of doritos...also eating a couple brownies after my morning workout and a bunch of cashews after lunch and pretzles with my wine after supper...

but the following week my weight was still under 140....ugggggg....
  • cvcman
    Options
    the olny other thing I did different was take a couple Ibuoprofin the day before
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    water weight. increase your water intake you'll eventually pee it out.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Question...

Plenty have advised you it's water weight and will come back off. You say no...So what do you want people to say?

Are you weighing your foods?
    What is your daily calorie intake?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Plenty have advised you it's water weight and will come back off. You say no...So what do you want people to say?

Seriously.

Weight loss is not linear. Jjust because water weight gain didn't happen THAT time doesn't mean it won't happen under similar circumstances. The body doesn't work as neat and tidily as you would like to think.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issue and it started around Easter as well. Number of factors contributed to my climb, but I'm making sure to be more diligent about weighing and tracking my foods and drinking more water. Patience is helping as well.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You've been here since June of 2011 and don't understand that weight fluctuates yet?
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Over on sodium? Cortisol up due to increased exercise?

Have you taken pics, taken measurements, how do your clothes feel…the scale doesn't always tell a true story.

Do you have a food scale? "Two pieces of pizza" on 5/4 at 208 calories only (no info for fat, protein..) is not doing you any favors.

Congrats on your weight loss though! 55 lbs. is great! Be patient! Weight loss is not linear!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Have you taken pics, taken measurements, how do your clothes feel…the scale doesn't always tell a true story.

Do you have a food scale? "Two pieces of pizza" on 5/4 at 208 calories only (no info for fat, protein..) is not doing you any favors.

Congrats on your weight loss though! 55 lbs. is great! Be patient! Weight loss is not linear!

Yeah, if you aren't logging properly than that's your issue right there. What kind of pizza only has 208 calories for 2 slices? Huh?
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Be more concerned over the trend in your weight. Using a linear trend line and then considering the slope of that line is better than just worrying about individual readings over the course of a couple weeks.

Something like this: http://www.mrexcel.com/tip067.shtml
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    If it's not water weight then you're eating too much crap . I'm bulking on 4200 calories a day and I'm lucky if I put on 1lb a week
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if you are logging consistently then running some of the reports should help you to answer your question. I find using the 30 day and 90 day reports are especially helpful to me to see what is going on.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. The last 5 days you had an average of 1000 cals a day left over...maybe need to eat more. The 10ish days before that, you didn't log at all. It's hard to figure out where you're going wrong if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. The last 5 days you had an average of 1000 cals a day left over...maybe need to eat more. The 10ish days before that, you didn't log at all. It's hard to figure out where you're going wrong if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

The OP is logging 2 slices of pizza 208 cals. He doesn't need to eat more. Even so to gain six pounds of fat, he would have to been eating an excess of 10.5k calories over maintenance for two weeks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Yeah, if you aren't logging properly than that's your issue right there. What kind of pizza only has 208 calories for 2 slices? Huh?
    I would agree. Not even my homemade pizza with no cheese and mostly veggies has that few calorie for a small slice. Most of the calories are in that delicious crust.

OP, weight does not come on the day after you eat. It shows up after a time. Besides this, water retention and weight fluctuations are normal.

I would say to be more diligent in obtaining the correct calories for your foods and go from there.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You may be scraping less salt off those pretzels than you think. I struggle with eating too much sodium sometimes, and when I do, my weight often balloons three or four pounds for a few days. I try to drink a lot of water to help, but cutting back on sodium is a big goal for me right now.

There are clear indications in your diary that you aren't tracking accurately. Others have mentioned the pizza, but I also wonder about the cashews (salted, which could cause bloating) and the croutons (1/8 cup of croutons is maybe four or five). The first thing you need to do is commit to logging everything you're eating and your exercises as accurately as you can every day. Over time, you'll be able to start to see patterns that will help you identify where you might be going wrong (not to mention what you're doing right). But it all starts with accuracy. Without that, all you can do is guess.