up 6 pounds in 2 weeks...what could it be ?

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Things I found in your diary, besides the 208 calories for 2 slices of pizza...
    1) Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, unenriched, cooked with water, without salt (oatmeal), 1.5 tbsp - Really only 1.5 tbsp of oatmeal and that fills you up?
    2) White - Mushrooms Sliced, 0.05 cup - That would be less than 1 mushroom.
    3) Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.1 cup slices - you had 1/10th of 1 slice of cucumber? Why bother.

Point is...get a food scale, accurately start weighing and logging everything. You are definitely eating more than you think.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofin causes water retention.

But yes, also fix your logging inaccuracies.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You'd have take an awful lot to have any significant effect. It is also listed as a 'Very Rare' side effect

What it is is Aliens kidnap you at night. While asleep they inject you with water so you weigh more. So the way to stop this happening is a tin foil hat as they will then be unable to find you. Problem solved
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You'd have take an awful lot to have any significant effect. It is also listed as a 'Very Rare' side effect

What it is is Aliens kidnap you at night. While asleep they inject you with water so you weigh more. So the way to stop this happening is a tin foil hat as they will then be unable to find you. Problem solved

Or he is secretly a woman, because women have more water retention.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ok lets assume the cals are off but...I eat the same thing pretty much day in and day out and have for the last 4 yrs...so if they are off now they always have been,,,,also YES I know weight goes up and down BUT mine has been pretty much the same up until last week...now im 5 pound + over what I have been and I havent changed anything
  • cvcman
    Options
    Things I found in your diary, besides the 208 calories for 2 slices of pizza...
    1) Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, unenriched, cooked with water, without salt (oatmeal), 1.5 tbsp - Really only 1.5 tbsp of oatmeal and that fills you up?
    2) White - Mushrooms Sliced, 0.05 cup - That would be less than 1 mushroom.
    3) Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.1 cup slices - you had 1/10th of 1 slice of cucumber? Why bother.

Point is...get a food scale, accurately start weighing and logging everything. You are definitely eating more than you think.

The mushrooms say 1/2 of a 1/4 of a cup...which would be an 1/8 of a cup...I usually just slice up one small mushroom...the oatmeat is correct...I usually just eat a cooked tablespoon so there is something i my gut before I run or bike...again...ive been eating and working out pretty much the same for 4 yrs....with little fluctuation in weight...until now
  • LadyBaggins
    LadyBaggins Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm no pro at weight-loss advice but, possibly building some muscle?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Its water. Done.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Its water. Done.

The end.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    naaa im not sure thats it.....I was doing it a yr ago too and didnt spike up...this bums me big time....I told the wife im ready to just bag it and eat what I want when I want and do my exercise and forget the scale..I dont notice my pants any tighter....for the last 6 or 8 weeks ive been cheating on Thursdays and eating a couple slices of pizza with a small bag of doritos...also eating a couple brownies after my morning workout and a bunch of cashews after lunch and pretzles with my wine after supper...

but the following week my weight was still under 140....ugggggg....

Quit telling people the advice that you asked for is wrong. Do you understand how obnoxious that is? Seriously, what do you want to hear? That it's a medical condition and if you see a doctor about it you'll be given medication that'll just melt the weight off so you never have to work out again?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Okay I will add a little more detail. Your body can easily fluctuate in weight +/- 5% of your total weight due to water retention alone. That means if you weigh 200 pounds and you weigh yourself on a day where you are dehydrated after low sodium intake and no exercise you might weight 190 and then after doing some intense exercise (which causes water retention in your muscles), eating some pretzels or other salty foods (the salt on the pretzel isn't the only salt) (sodium causes water retention at the rate of 2 pounds water per 400mg sodium) and just because its a full moon (some water retention seems almost random) the next day you weigh 210 pounds.

Yeah, you can fluctuate as much as 20 pounds due to water retention alone in a short period of time if you are 200 pounds.

So yeah, you exercised a lot and you ate some salty foods and you gained 6 pounds...of water. Frankly I'm surprised you didn't gain more, maybe you lost some fat during that time and so your weight gain wasn't as big as a result.

Bottom line whenever someone asks how/why their weight fluctuated by 5+ pounds in a very short period of time (such as days or weeks) the answer is ALWAYS water.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I'm no pro at weight-loss advice but, possibly building some muscle?

Good Gawd, no. A man eating like 1300-1400 is NOT building any muscle.
  • cvcman
    Options
    naaa im not sure thats it.....I was doing it a yr ago too and didnt spike up...this bums me big time....I told the wife im ready to just bag it and eat what I want when I want and do my exercise and forget the scale..I dont notice my pants any tighter....for the last 6 or 8 weeks ive been cheating on Thursdays and eating a couple slices of pizza with a small bag of doritos...also eating a couple brownies after my morning workout and a bunch of cashews after lunch and pretzles with my wine after supper...

Quit telling people the advice that you asked for is wrong. Do you understand how obnoxious that is? Seriously, what do you want to hear? That it's a medical condition and if you see a doctor about it you'll be given medication that'll just melt the weight off so you never have to work out again?

Quit trying to turn this into a fight because I dont agree with an opinion...AGAIN for 4 yrs ive eaten the same things, same proportions, exercised the same...mixed it up etc...my weight has ALWAYS been stable....now in one week im up almost 6 pounds...now why this week is it water and ive done nothing different.....
  • deksgrl
    Options

Quit trying to turn this into a fight because I dont agree with an opinion...AGAIN for 4 yrs ive eaten the same things, same proportions, exercised the same...mixed it up etc...my weight has ALWAYS been stable....now in one week im up almost 6 pounds...now why this week is it water and ive done nothing different.....

There are two options:

1 - You ate a lot more than you thought and gained 6 real pounds in a week. 6 x 3500 = 21,000. 21,000 calories over maintenance, while your goal is well under maintenance.

2 - Water retention. There are various different reasons for water retention, I think most having already been discussed.

Which is more likely to you? Your logging may not be accurate but I doubt that you underestimated calories by that much. In any case, even if it were real pounds, you can't cut calories further in a healthy manner.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do not over cut your calories. Doing so can cause your body to go into starvation mode and it will begin to hold onto anything it can. Also, if you are not fueling your body correctly (with enough calories and the right kind of calories), you will more than likely have far more cravings and/or binge eating.

I have YEARS AND YEARS of experience with this and every now and then I forget everything I know and try to do the same thing. it's NOT GOOD FOR YOU!

Remember that losing weight/maintaining weight is a LIFE LONG THING. Its going to fluctuate. Your going to have bad days/weeks. You don't loose the game unless you give up. Just keep on trying to do your best and HAVE HOPE!
  • cvcman
    Options
    Do not over cut your calories. Doing so can cause your body to go into starvation mode and it will begin to hold onto anything it can. Also, if you are not fueling your body correctly (with enough calories and the right kind of calories), you will more than likely have far more cravings and/or binge eating.

I have YEARS AND YEARS of experience with this and every now and then I forget everything I know and try to do the same thing. it's NOT GOOD FOR YOU!

Remember that losing weight/maintaining weight is a LIFE LONG THING. Its going to fluctuate. Your going to have bad days/weeks. You don't loose the game unless you give up. Just keep on trying to do your best and HAVE HOPE!

I have had MANY people and trainers included tell me the "starvation" thing is bs....if thats the case why do people that dont eat get skinny ? Weather its true or not I know when I cut back I loose weight...now even IF the numbers are slighltly off,,,adding MORE veggies to my daily diary ISNT going to add THAT many more cals...the cashews info is right off the container...not trying to argue with you just stating what ive been told and read...thx
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Also, eating 450 calories of pure carbohydrates (pretzels) after dinner could be detrimental to any weight loss program. If I were you, I'd try cutting that out for a few weeks and see what happens. Or....add your pretzels in, if you just have to have them, at another time of the day. How about with your lunch. I noticed you don't add any type of "grain" to your lunch.

I know it seems old fashioned but try to incorporate more food groups (yes the pyramid, or plate) into each meal. Add some fruit to your oatmeal...or peanut butter....or a banana...or some berries. Possibly a glass of milk too. Add some whole grain to your lunch. Try putting cottage cheese on your salad (at least that's what I think you are eating for lunch, correct?). Add some sort of whole grain to your dinners (brown rice, quinoa, pasta). Doing so may wipe out that craving for grains/carbohydrates after dinner.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I have had MANY people and trainers included tell me the "starvation" thing is bs....if thats the case why do people that dont eat get skinny ? Weather its true or not I know when I cut back I loose weight...now even IF the numbers are slighltly off,,,adding MORE veggies to my daily diary ISNT going to add THAT many more cals...the cashews info is right off the container...not trying to argue with you just stating what ive been told and read...thx

Agreed that starvation mode is bullsh*t, the idea that if you don't eat enough your body will "hold onto anything it can" is laughably ridiculous.

That said if you do have too large of a caloric deficit your weight loss won't just be fat, it will be fat and some of your hard-earned muscle as well. You don't want to push it to hard or you are liable to weaken yourself for the sake of a slightly faster fat loss.
  • cvcman
    Options
    read this: this is pretty much what every Dr and trainer I have talked to said

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • cvcman
    Options
    Also, eating 450 calories of pure carbohydrates (pretzels) after dinner could be detrimental to any weight loss program. If I were you, I'd try cutting that out for a few weeks and see what happens. Or....add your pretzels in, if you just have to have them, at another time of the day. How about with your lunch. I noticed you don't add any type of "grain" to your lunch.

I know it seems old fashioned but try to incorporate more food groups (yes the pyramid, or plate) into each meal. Add some fruit to your oatmeal...or peanut butter....or a banana...or some berries. Possibly a glass of milk too. Add some whole grain to your lunch. Try putting cottage cheese on your salad (at least that's what I think you are eating for lunch, correct?). Add some sort of whole grain to your dinners (brown rice, quinoa, pasta). Doing so may wipe out that craving for grains/carbohydrates after dinner.
    Again...ive done this and changed it up for years...all the time my weight staying stable,,,until last week
    Just my 2 cents.