Low carbs diet !

Options

Replies

• rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You opened the door for the low carb haters, there are very many on here just waiting to pounce on anyone who says a low carb diet is right for them or anyone else. Unfortunately this forum is not a good place to come for support. It's great if you enjoy being told you're wrong by people who have no idea what they're talking about. There are just too many uneducated people here spouting myths and misinformation as if they have degrees in kinesiology and nutrition. Some will even drop fancy sounding personal trainer titles they got after an online course they took in an attempt to make you feel like they are an authority and you are an idiot. Here's a link for you experts http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/. It outlines 23 peer reviewed scientific studies comparing low carb to low fat diets that were all published in scientific journals like the American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, and The New England Journal Of Medicine. They're all linked to the original publication so feel free to read through all the actual studies on the subject and learn something. Maybe you will start giving informed opinions on the subject for once.

On that list of studies, please count how many measured bodyfat with DEXA, kept protein and calories constant and were metabolic ward studies. Thnx

Haters gonna hate... There is nothing wrong with the studies except for the fact that they do not support YOUR opinion... Sorry buddy, show me the studies that do support your opinion, I'd be interested in reading them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You opened the door for the low carb haters, there are very many on here just waiting to pounce on anyone who says a low carb diet is right for them or anyone else. Unfortunately this forum is not a good place to come for support. It's great if you enjoy being told you're wrong by people who have no idea what they're talking about. There are just too many uneducated people here spouting myths and misinformation as if they have degrees in kinesiology and nutrition. Some will even drop fancy sounding personal trainer titles they got after an online course they took in an attempt to make you feel like they are an authority and you are an idiot. Here's a link for you experts http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/. It outlines 23 peer reviewed scientific studies comparing low carb to low fat diets that were all published in scientific journals like the American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, and The New England Journal Of Medicine. They're all linked to the original publication so feel free to read through all the actual studies on the subject and learn something. Maybe you will start giving informed opinions on the subject for once.

Also love how he lists the A to Z study but not the Dansinger study, hello cherry picking
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go eat some eggs, I'll come back for those links....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

On that list of studies, please count how many measured bodyfat with DEXA, kept protein and calories constant and were metabolic ward studies. Thnx

Haters gonna hate... There is nothing wrong with the studies except for the fact that they do not support YOUR opinion... Sorry buddy, show me the studies that do support your opinion, I'd be interested in reading them.

Please tell me how that is being a hater? Wouldn't holding cals and protein constant eliminate some confounders? Wouldn't ward studies be more accurate then self reported intakes, esp among the obese?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets do not lead to muscle loss (dmenchac keeping that old myth alive...), but at the same time trying to manipulate your insulin levels is for many people unnecessary. If you've got a lot to lose, you're more likely to be insulin resistant, which could lead to better success on a low carb diet - but the trade-off is you've got to restrict your food choices (unsustainable for some people). The greatest advantage to a low carb diet in my opinion is just the appetite suppressing nature of such a diet. You still need to watch your calories of course but that tends to be pretty easy for a lot of people, simply because of the satiating nature of the diet.

So if you are on a low carb diet and not getting enough protein while doing high intensity workouts, you won't lose muscle..?

I was actually being facetious, but since you bit...

Low carb diets are typically at least as high in protein as the average diet, so why would you assume someone is not getting enough protein and pairing that with high intensity workouts? You can add facts after the fact to justify that statement, but the notion that your body will catabolize your muscles simply because you don't have a lot of carbs in your diet is silly.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Worse thing i ever did to myself was low carb diets - its not how the world works and unless your diabetic you would never get a dietitian to recommend it. All just fab diets and crap to sell. If they didn't have new diets then there would be nothing to sell. Calorie deficit burns fat. Fat is more easily stored as fat than carbs are. Low fat, higher protein, normal carbs will get you there.

Meh, pretty misleading. Low carb eating helps a lot of people create a calorie deficit by sating their hunger and moving them off of highly processed, super calorie dense foods they habitually abuse. I don't know what you mean by "how the world works" but I do know my doctor recently insisted I start moving my BMI to a healthy range. Her sole advice was to "cut back on carbs."

Now, I know that calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. However, in my past the only success I ever had with getting close to a healthy weight was with low carb eating. The problem was that I never learned the importance of a calorie deficit, so I ended up with a calorie deficit only as a side effect of reduced hunger. Whenever I went back to eating the way I would normally eat, I would make no effort to balance my caloric intake. Therefore, advocating low carb eating without educating people about caloric intake is irresponsible, but dissuading people from learning about how it can help them curb hunger and get sufficient protein is just as irresponsible.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Meh, pretty misleading. Low carb eating helps a lot of people create a calorie deficit by sating their hunger and moving them off of highly processed, super calorie dense foods they habitually abuse. I don't know what you mean by "how the world works" but I do know my doctor recently insisted I start moving my BMI to a healthy range. Her sole advice was to "cut back on carbs."

Now, I know that calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. However, in my past the only success I ever had with getting close to a healthy weight was with low carb eating. The problem was that I never learned the importance of a calorie deficit, so I ended up with a calorie deficit only as a side effect of reduced hunger. Whenever I went back to eating the way I would normally eat, I would make no effort to balance my caloric intake. Therefore, advocating low carb eating without educating people about caloric intake is irresponsible, but dissuading people from learning about how it can help them curb hunger and get sufficient protein is just as irresponsible.

Great post. This is what low-carb diets do for you:

It usually remove a common source of tempting, calorie-dense foods from the diet.

The higher protein intake can help with hunger.

Both of these things can help maintain a calorie deficit. But they do not guarantee it. You can eat a calorie surplus even when eating a low-carb diet.

The chemical makeup of your food has no bearing on actual fat reduction.
    fmbprDA.jpg
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Worse thing i ever did to myself was low carb diets - its not how the world works and unless your diabetic you would never get a dietitian to recommend it. All just fab diets and crap to sell. If they didn't have new diets then there would be nothing to sell. Calorie deficit burns fat. Fat is more easily stored as fat than carbs are. Low fat, higher protein, normal carbs will get you there.

I guess my bigger point here is that normally when people go low carb then the calories tend to shift - they should go to protein but as anyone who has eaten alot of protein knows eating 200g plus a day in protein is difficult without living on shakes. Shifting to fats instead of carbs is no better an option. I personally find using MFP guidelines of 50%C/30%F/20%P works fine for most people but people never follow the macros they only follow the calories (i actually do 50C%/25%F/25%P). If you follow the guidelines then you are typically eating clean - low fat higher protein items with good carbs (because you don't have the fat content for many of the bad ones) leads to a deficit and leads you to a better method of eating that i think is sustainable. Its only a opinion. So many people are looking for a magic bullet that leads you down a road where you develop bad eating habits.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Great post. This is what low-carb diets do for you:

It usually remove a common source of tempting, calorie-dense foods from the diet.

The higher protein intake can help with hunger.

Both of these things can help maintain a calorie deficit. But they do not guarantee it. You can eat a calorie surplus even when eating a low-carb diet.

The chemical makeup of your food has no bearing on actual fat reduction.

So fat at 9 calories a gram versus protein and carbs at 4 calories each and its the carbs causing calorie density? Go figure. Fruit on average has 50-75 calories per piece (except bananas) verses butter/oil which are typically 100calories a tablespoon. You logic of "calorie dense carbs" holds no logic at all - its the fat content in the product making it calorie dense. Same thing when you get a high fat meat product like bacon or ribs - the calories go through the roof.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Also love how he lists the A to Z study but not the Dansinger study, hello cherry picking

Low carbers cherry pick studies

Anti low carbers cherry pick studies.

We all do it. Any one with an opinion about anything will cherry pick.

I've seen you cherry pick studies in the past, I've done it myself.
  • parkscs
    Options

So fat at 9 calories a gram versus protein and carbs at 4 calories each and its the carbs causing calorie density? Go figure. Fruit on average has 50-75 calories per piece (except bananas) verses butter/oil which are typically 100calories a tablespoon. You logic of "calorie dense carbs" holds no logic at all - its the fat content in the product making it calorie dense. Same thing when you get a high fat meat product like bacon or ribs - the calories go through the roof.

It's worth noting that he said calorie dense foods - not calorie dense carbs (which doesn't really make a lot of sense). You're misquoting his post.
  • jellybeans37
    jellybeans37 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet is why I am on this site to lose weight. Sure, I got super thin for 2 months, then ate a pink bunny peep and that was that. I will NEVER do one of those again. I have yet to know anyone outside of being a diabetic who was actually able to keep to it for longer than a year.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can't we all just agree that if you have a medical condition or find diet adherence greater with a low carb diet, that you should do it. There really is no one superior diet plan over another. A calorie deficit is for weight loss, macros support satiety, muscle retention, energy levels, etc...
  • parkscs
    Options
    A low carb diet is why I am on this site to lose weight. Sure, I got super thin for 2 months, then ate a pink bunny peep and that was that. I will NEVER do one of those again. I have yet to know anyone outside of being a diabetic who was actually able to keep to it for longer than a year.

Who says you have to eliminate carbs for more than a year? Do you really think you need to eat the exact same way (caloric intake, macronutrient distribution, etc.) you're eating today for the rest of your life?
    Can't we all just agree that if you have a medical condition or find diet adherence greater with a low carb diet, that you should do it. There really is no one superior diet plan over another. A calorie deficit is for weight loss, macros support satiety, muscle retention, energy levels, etc...

Sounds reasonable to me. Then again though, I find that reason rarely enters into it. :wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

If only - totally agree though.:smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have a confession: I FREAKING LOVE CARBS!

They are tasty, make me feel good, aid my low blood pressure... I eat them at every time of the day or week. One of my faves is rice pudding with cinnomon and sugar before bed. I have good whole bread almost every morning, Bananas are awesome.....

I´m here since 5 months and lost almost 20kg (over 40lbs) with a lot of carbs in my diet ;-)

So I wouldn´t take that low carb thing too serious... Just do what works for you. If you ignore cravings for too long they become quite demanding.

Nicely said!
    My body needs carbs too and I have successfully lost over 60 pounds in a year with low carbs (and once in a while a nice big carb binge) haha
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the responses, I just wanted to interject that paleo does not = low carb. Can a person eat a low carb paleo style diet (even a ketogenic paleo diet)? Yes, but the majority of paleo adherents don't eat very low carb. Many carb cycle, some are moderate carb and still others eat high carb. I tend to fall in moderate carb, about 125 grams per day. For some that would be considered low carb, but really percentage wise it isn't.

No carbs is seriously impossible for long term. VLC is possible, but should be reserved for people with severe metabolic conditions or for special populations like epileptics.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have a confession: I FREAKING LOVE CARBS!

They are tasty, make me feel good, aid my low blood pressure... I eat them at every time of the day or week. One of my faves is rice pudding with cinnomon and sugar before bed. I have good whole bread almost every morning, Bananas are awesome.....

I´m here since 5 months and lost almost 20kg (over 40lbs) with a lot of carbs in my diet ;-)

So I wouldn´t take that low carb thing too serious... Just do what works for you. If you ignore cravings for too long they become quite demanding.

Love your answer!!!!!!!!!!!!! 20KGS.............. WOW!!! Amazing!!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Worse thing I ever did was low carb. I'll save you from the goriest of the details but I started developing PCOS and other *kitten*.
  • TankiBabi
    TankiBabi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Worse thing I ever did was low carb. I'll save you from the goriest of the details but I started developing PCOS and other *kitten*.