Low carbs diet !

Options

Replies

• TankiBabi
    TankiBabi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You dont develop PCOS from low carb dieting. Its a gene defect. You were born with it. Low carb dieting is required for PCOS for a reason.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Worse thing I ever did was low carb. I'll save you from the goriest of the details but I started developing PCOS and other *kitten*.
    This odd, given that low carb diets are often prescribed for PCOS. Hope you've found something that works for you now.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Worse thing I ever did was low carb. I'll save you from the goriest of the details but I started developing PCOS and other *kitten*.
    This odd, given that low carb diets are often prescribed for PCOS. Hope you've found something that works for you now.

Yes, very odd, as PCOS goes hand-in-hand with insulin resistance. You don't "develop" PCOS by partaking in a low-carb diet.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    35 How To Become Insulin Resistant (The Paleo Way) 1

Do you want to be insulin resistant? According to the low-carb leaders, you shouldn't. Gary Taubes says, "When you're insulin-resistant, you secrete more insulin and you store more fat" (p.124, WWGF). Mark Sisson wrote, "Here's a quick summary of some of the unpleasant consequences of becoming insulin resistant ... Fat cells get bigger (and fatter), so you gain weight" (p.74, The Primal Blueprint). Loren Cordain informs us that, "It's only recently that scientists have begun expanding the scope of insulin re-sistance. In research worldwide, this condition is being linked to many other chronic diseases and health problems" (p.78. The Paleo Diet). Insulin resistance is associated with obesity, cancer, and heart disease. But what was the evolutionary purpose of insu-lin resistance? And what sort of diets promote it? In this video, I argue that high-protein diets could predispose you to insulin re-sistance. How authentically Paleo do you really want to be? And what sort of body shape was the true Paleolithic ideal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prdh62Qklvc&index=35&list=PLv3QDzdxan_JkGX47Rpboyh2oYyAFZDBA
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You don't have to restrict carbs at all (and shouldn't) if you exercise a lot. I love that I can exercise hard every day and burn tons of calories and get to eat pretty much whatever I want as long as the calories fit, still hit my calorie goal, and lose weight!

Plus, low carb diets are VERY hard on your kidneys and digestive system. You can get kidney failure and diverticulitis from them.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You don't have to restrict carbs at all (and shouldn't) if you exercise a lot. I love that I can exercise hard every day and burn tons of calories and get to eat pretty much whatever I want as long as the calories fit, still hit my calorie goal, and lose weight!

Plus, low carb diets are VERY hard on your kidneys and digestive system. You can get kidney failure and diverticulitis from them.

Lowering carbs isn't bad for your kidneys, but eating a diet too high in protein can place additional strain on them. As far as the digestive system, I've only noticed positive effects from not eating as many carbohydrates. There are many people who ascribe to a low-carb diet for medical reasons and do not suffer from digestive or kidney problems.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb a couple times. And every time I go in thinking it will be great and end up hating it. Sometimes I last 3 days, sometimes I last months, but I always hate it. I love carbs. I still don't even eat that many compared to some people (my goal falls in the 100-150 range depending on activity), but that's as low as I want to go.

But that's ME. If you're insulin resistant, have PCOS, are diabetic or pre-diabetic, it might be an effective diet for you. If it helps you stick to your calorie deficit and leaves you satisfied and happy, then it might be an effective diet for you. (I feel like Jeff Foxworthy.) BUT, it's not the only way or the best way or the worst way to do things. Find whatever makes you physically and mentally feel the best along the way, and is something you can easily stick to. IMHO, adherence and happiness and satisfaction during any weight loss/maintenance process (I'd add in bulking but I know NOTHING about it :laugh: ) are far more important than the prospect of a pound or two more or less of lean mass at the end of things (serious lifters notwithstanding, of course).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have PMS today and the stupidity on this site is testing my patience
    Who in your PMStimation is being stupid?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I'm not sure you understand the sort of food you eat on a LCHF diet, but it is not tonnes of protein - plus even if it was there are no studies to suggest that on healthy kidneys a diet high in protein will do any harm to them.

But back to the main point someone on a low carb diet is not eating any more protein (or does not need to) than anyone on a high carb diet.

Low Carb, moderate protein, high fat.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I feel a million times better since eating less carbs. And it is bringing back my passion in the kitchen. I love figuring out how to make my favorite things with no processed ingredients. I am still surprised how many things were making me sick.
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not for everyone but it does work for those who actually take the time to research the way of eating (NOT DIET) and do it the correct way. Of course any time you treat a new way of eating as temporary you are going to gain it back. People think you can just lose the weight and just eat whatever the hell you want after...and you can't. You WILL gain it back...be it low carb, low cal, or low fat. I've lost 53 pounds on low carb and can just about guarantee I won't gain it back (unless it's caused by something that is completely out of my control). I've never felt more control over food in my life. Carbs cause major cravings for me and make me feel constantly hungry (yes...even complex carbs)...not to mention digestive issues with them. I cannot maintain a caloric deficit that includes any substantial amount of carbs. (that's more than 50 for me...but I stay around 25 or less). I still have berries occasionally and nuts. But I've been on this for six months and am not tired of it at all. I'm a meat eater though and love my veggies so this WOE is very sustainable for me. I think anyone who is making a change to their diet should keep in mind that is needs to be something they can stick to and for me (and many others) that is low carb. Low carb isn't just meat either...you'd be surprised at how much variation you can have with just a little creativity! There's low carb versions of everything these days...and i don't mean low carb products...i mean recipes that have been manipulated to be low carb. I don't trust low carb products. You get some coconut flour or almond flour and you can even have baked goods again! Flax seed meal is another great low carb alternative. Also, you CAN come off of low carb to eat a more moderate carb diet but you have to increase your carb intake slowly to find your carb tolerance level (just like you do with your calories to find your maintenance level) . Most people just go straight from low carb to however many carbs they want and that's why they gain...the same as you would if you come off low cal and don't track calories at all.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I think I'll go have an Adkins Peanut Butter bar!!!! Thanks for reminding me that I have one.
  • DianeHotchin
    DianeHotchin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I am a whisker away from being diabetic and am trying to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way. I am at present trying low carbs as I know I ate too much of them! It is not easy trying to understand all the conflicting stories/ideas and what works for some and not others. I am just trying to eat healthily and sensibly, do more exercise and eat well. I am very confused as to what the "right" regime for me actually is but am trying as my future health is important to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have PMS today and the stupidity on this site is testing my patience
    Who in your PMStimation is being stupid?

he constant bickering over carbs, sugars, and fad diets that occur dailey on this site gets old quick
    especially with PMS

truth is its all stupid

all diets work pick one stick to it lose weight.

Why do we need to validate who has the best diet/eating plan/lifestyle change and who is right or wrong?

Gets old quick
    Some folks seem to crave the validation that they are doing it right (this time). And as such, they wander around the boards telling others that they're doing it wrong. Seems odd to me, and yes, I agree, it DOES get old.

note: I'm not low carb, but I get why some folks are.
  • legalwmn
    legalwmn Posts: 1 Member
    Options

This is total misinformation. It is actually high protien diets that hard on your kidneys and digestive system. Low carb diets are low carb/*medium* protien/high fat.
  • HadassahsMomma
    HadassahsMomma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love low carb because I love to eat fats and veggies. However, I stopped doing it because it meant I could not have a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal or whole wheat pasta on a regular basis.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would never discourage a healthy adult from trying low carb because it worked very well for me for many pounds, and no, I haven't gained it back.

Same for me. I didn't gain the weight back and the diet worked for me at the time.

These days I occasionally do it for a weekend or odd day when I feel like Im getting back into bad habits (eg too much chocolate/too many bread slices). I find when I go back to eating normal, I tend to make better choices and not want to eat as much junk food. But these days I can't handle more than a weekend because I love eating carbs.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of people don't like my post! But it's correct. There have been many documented cases of people who did Atkins for several years going into kidney failure. And I personally know a guy who got diverticulitis from Atkins. He went septic and everything, was hospitalized for a week, it was really nasty. I'm not misinformed.

This is total misinformation. It is actually high protien diets that hard on your kidneys and digestive system. Low carb diets are low carb/*medium* protien/high fat.