My PT doesn't believe in heavy lifting for women

Replies

• mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Time to find a new trainer. You need one that will work with you, toward YOUR goals.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    working with my trainer this AM and reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I told her I was interested in getting into heavy lifting as I have seen some great results frm ladies on MFP. She feels that heavy lifting will not get me the longated/buffed muscles but rather bulky - which I proclaimed that its not possible for women. I think I should be pushing myself hard and not lifting 5lbs dumbells 15x over - I feel like I am just going through the motion. Ladies with success out there what are your thoughts? What has worked for you. My goal is to reduce body fat and basically a body recomp - not really concerend about the # on the scale!

Sadly, lots of "trainers" are not really educated on fitness. Do your own homework and do what is right for you. She can say "don't" but that doesn't mean you have to.

Keep it up. I just started and I like how I feel.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    A woman I work with was going through the same thing. Her first PT, a woman, had her doing light weights, heavy reps, she didn't feel she was making any progress. I suggested she go heavier, but her PT was against this. Fortunately her female PT left and she got a new one, a man. She told him she wanted to lift heavier and he was gung ho, because a lot of his female clients are afriad to lift heavy. Not sure if its a male female thing or just education, either way my friend likes her new PT much better.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I think the answer is obvious.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    The fact that your trainer is THAT ill-informed is scary. :noway: Fire her immediately (and let her know why) and hire someone who knows their ****. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    What's the question here? There seems to be only one acceptable course of action

^^ This

You might even provide the PT with a brief summary of what the author of NROL4W says, just as a matter of courtesy.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Your trainer should know the benefits of both (heavy lifting vs. low weight/high rep) and work with you to develop a program that will meet your goals. If not, get a new trainer.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Sounds to me like she is trying to get more paid sessions out of you.
  • Twinmamamarion
    Twinmamamarion Posts: 33 Member
    time for a new trainer!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    You're the client. You're paying hard earned money for her to help you reach YOUR goals, which are to lift heavy and recomp in the process. Either she gets you lifting heavy next session or you ask to switch trainers.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Congratulations, you know more than your trainer. Which is sadly all too easy.

Yup.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    working with my trainer this AM and reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I told her I was interested in getting into heavy lifting as I have seen some great results frm ladies on MFP. She feels that heavy lifting will not get me the longated/buffed muscles but rather bulky - which I proclaimed that its not possible for women. I think I should be pushing myself hard and not lifting 5lbs dumbells 15x over - I feel like I am just going through the motion. Ladies with success out there what are your thoughts? What has worked for you. My goal is to reduce body fat and basically a body recomp - not really concerend about the # on the scale!

If finding a new trainer isn't an option (which would be my first advice), perhaps pick up an Oxygen magazine and show your trainer pictures of the women you want to look like. A lot of women don't want muscle, and lifting heavy will definitely give you more visible muscle, so your PT may just not have a clear understanding of your goals. You're shooting for Amanda Latona or Ashley Kaltwasser, not Nichole Richie.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    If you are questioning your PT, then I say you already have your answer. Time to move on. You already know more than her.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    In with the group advising for a new trainer.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    I think you have your answer.... FIRE STAT!!
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,285 Member
    New trainer needed. One that will meet your needs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Your trainer is just jealous.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Voting for new trainer!

+1
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    I would get a new trainer. you should be able to communicate your goals to the trainer and they should be able to tailor a program to your needs.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Hire a new trainer.