FitBit Flex...worth it?

Replies

• sousiechef
    sousiechef Posts: 5 Member
    Totally worth the money. It sinks with MFP and keeps me motivated. Finally reached my
    goal after 2 years once I started using the fit bit in sept of 2013.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I love my Fitbit One (more than a year after I bought it). Haven't tried the Flex, but would be a little reluctant with the issues they've had with it. Whatever you decide, I personally think having an activity tracker is easily worth the $100ish.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    I have a Fitbit Force (the one they discontinued) and they're not taking it back! I love it. It helps me see how active I am (or am not) and makes me do more when I'm having a slow day. Good luck to you!
  • Becoming_Palm
    Becoming_Palm Posts: 30 Member
    Absolutely! I have one, and did not realize that I did not really walk as much...and that is even when I worked out. So, it made me walk more, I park further away just so I add more steps to my day. With me being a competitive person, I don't like seeing my name at the bottom of my weekly results, so I make sure that I move as often as possible. It's one of the best investments that I have ever bought.
  • starfruitbiscuit
    starfruitbiscuit Posts: 2 Member
    I love my FitBit, but I use the Zip, and I've given away my Flex. I prefer the Zip because it has become a natural habit to clip it into my bra every morning. I never forget, and I never have to worry about losing it. Whenever I want to check my steps, I can just look at the app on my iPhone, which doesn't leech the batteries the way those iPhone pedometer apps do (I had that experience, too).

The Flex worked okay, but unless you want to spent a lot extra for all the different bands, owning the Flex means you ALWAYS have to have it on your wrist. That drove me nuts. Sometimes I didn't want stuff on my wrist, like when I'm playing guitar. Also, for me it only works to have it on my left hand, but I wear a watch there, and I love my watch and didn't want to give that up, but wearing both was very annoying. So I have happily give the Flex away and gone back to my Zip.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    I bought the fitbit one because I wanted to track stairs as well and I think it's well worth it. I try and hit 10k a day in steps and this thing keep me very motivated. I naturally get in more exercise than I would have without it.
  • nrmoreno
    nrmoreno Posts: 1
    Is there a monthy subscription with the FitBit? I used to have a Body Media Fit Arm Band but it was a pain to wear it around my upper arm all day and it never truly synced with the app on my Android phone. Everyone at work is wearing the braclet and it looks so much easier.
  • julieclapham5
    julieclapham5 Posts: 12 Member
    I use the Zip, just clip it to my bra each morning and away we go. Like that it syncs to MFP too.
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a Posts: 51 Member
    Okay!! I just got mine a few days ago and I LOVEEEEEE IT. It's worth the 100 bucks completely, and it syncs so easily with MFP.
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Has anybody gotten the FitBit Flex? How do you feel about it? I'm thinking about purchasing one when I reach a milestone (I'm thinking 35 or 40lbs but we'll see) but I want to know whether it's worth the money. Any thoughts?!

we are a 3 fitbit family:
    force
    one
    zip
    I have the force and the one (I alternate depending on whether or not we're going out and I need to wear a watch instead of the force). I got my daughter the zip...and we are hooked on fitbit!! yes, you need a hear rate monitor if you want PRECISE measurements, but if you're looking for something that will motivate you and give you a REASONABLY good overview of your walking, running, and step count for the day AND syncs with MyFitnessPal...go fitbit :love:
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    I have a Fitbit Force (the one they discontinued) and they're not taking it back! I love it. It helps me see how active I am (or am not) and makes me do more when I'm having a slow day. Good luck to you!

^^^^^^^this
    I'm not sending mine back either!!! :flowerforyou:
  • vnboyd
    vnboyd Posts: 2
    I've had mine for about a month. I really like it. Especially since it also tracks sleep. I was able to get a brand new one from ebay for a lot less money. It was easy to set up and it talks to this site as well as the fitbit site and I get reminders, etc. I'm glad I got it.
  • curlergal14
    curlergal14 Posts: 20 Member
    I've got a Fitbit One and absolutely love it. I had the Zip before, and lost it and replaced it with the One. I really like that it can track my sleep. It's helped me figure out why some days I'm so hungry (I didn't sleep well!). I usually just toss it in a pocket or in my bra and can't even tell it's there. Works great to show me how little I move during the day.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    There was an article in Forbes magazine about MFP making FITBIT and Jawbone UP obsolete. An IPhone 5S now tracks your steps. I returned my UP because its really just an expensive pedometer. You still need the heart rate monitor and have to add stuff that MFP already links with like Map My Walk, Ride or Run.
    Ruth J Princess

I don't see the phone replacing the FitBit. You would have to have your phone with you (literally somewhere on your body I assume) 24/7 to get accurate results. That's not always possible if you are in dress clothes, pajamas, whatever. Not everyone wants to be married to their phone. However, with the Flex, you wear it on your wrist which is much more convenient. I can put my phone away and still get my steps in when I am walking around my building during the day. Plus, one of the things I really love about the Flex is the sleep mode. It tells me how many times I was restless and how much time I am in deep sleep. I don't think the MFP app would be have that capability. My Fitbit steps now sync with MFP.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I love my Fitbit One (more than a year after I bought it). Haven't tried the Flex, but would be a little reluctant with the issues they've had with it. Whatever you decide, I personally think having an activity tracker is easily worth the $100ish.

^ Sums it up for me.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Is there a monthy subscription with the FitBit? I used to have a Body Media Fit Arm Band but it was a pain to wear it around my upper arm all day and it never truly synced with the app on my Android phone. Everyone at work is wearing the braclet and it looks so much easier.

I have the Body Media as well, and I like it to a point, half the time I have been forgetting to put it on and it gets way uncomfortable when I sleep.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    I've had mine since last summer.

I love the idea, I love my Flex, and I love looking at the data, however:

1) it is an expensive toy, a jumped-up step counter. Don't expect it to change your life (like I said, I enjoy it but I don't fool myself any about it either!). It does sync nicely with MFP, so you don't have to log step-based activities. I love watching the numbers through the day and seeing if I'm meeting my step targets (I rarely do unless I go running as I live a sedentary life working at a desk 9 hours per day, and commuting for more than 2 hours by car).

2) there is a serious design flaw in either the charging cable or the unit itself. MANY people have reported this, where after a few weeks, the damn thing stops charging properly. I currently hold mine in the charging cable cradle using a heavy-duty paper clip and a piece of paper (the piece of paper jams the unit into the cradle against the pins and the paper clip holds the unit in the cradle so the paper doesn't pop it out again...it is a stupid system). I'm on my second Flex (and 3rd cable) and the problem persists. When my jury-rigged system stops working, I'm buying something new.

Personally, having gotten a lot of fun and interest out of my Flex, I'm looking at something that does a bit more (along the sport watch line, such as a Gear 2 Neo, Pebble, TomTom or Garmin). Of course, that is an even more expensive toy!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member

I have the Body Media as well, and I like it to a point, half the time I have been forgetting to put it on and it gets way uncomfortable when I sleep.

I love my fitbit flex. I tried a bodymedia fit for a while, but I found I didn't like the armband, and the bodymedia site is a monthly subscription, where the fitbit is free
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Yes - there are many rewards sites.

The best is Pact - but its more of a commitment than a reward. You commit to doing a certain # of healthy activities per week.

Do you have the website for that? There's no information included.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    I have had one since December and really like it. It makes it a lot easier to have a good baseline of what your calorie burn is for the day. Combined with MFP, you keep better track of your calorie intake too.