Calorie Goal Changes Itself??

Options
I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks. I have not changed my goal, expected weight loss per week, or activity level. I started out at 1850 calories per day, and one day (before I even told MFP I lost any weight), it lowered my goal to 1800. And today, I wake up to find that it has been changed to 1750 (once again, have not weighed since last week). Does this happen to anyone else??? Thanks!!:indifferent:

Replies

• KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Looking more into this....it has now changed the calorie goal to 1750 for all of my PREVIOUS entries! It is now showing that I have gone OVER almost everyday, when I have consistently been a few calories under! HELP!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you have lost weight and recorded that...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    you have lost weight and recorded that...

^This. MFP is trying to keep your calorie deficit the same. When you lose weight, you require fewer calories to sustain it, thus MFP's adjustment.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was actually about to ask this myself. I hadn't really noticed since my base calories are always adjusted based on my fitbit additions and it starts before I log any food.

But, from what I'm gathering, MFP automatically readjusts your base calories based on your weight entries, yes? And you don't have to go into any setting to recalculate as you lose? Is that correct?

Edit: Answered as I was typing.

Thank goodness. :)
  • KaraBoo87
    Options
    Like I said, the calories changing the first time happened BEFORE I had logged ANY weight loss.... The second time happened almost a WEEK after I logged my first pounds lost. If it was based on weight, would it not change immediately????
  • KaraBoo87
    Options
    The calorie goal changed before logging ANY weight loss...
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal changed before logging ANY weight loss...

It is impossible for your calorie goal to change without logging your weight.

MFP is designed to adjust your calories to keep the same deficit even as you lose weight.

If you weighed 180 were allowed 2000 calories (maint at 3000) then if you hit 170 lbs MFP will automatically adjust and give you 1500 (your maint is at 2500)

These numbers are made up obviously but just giving you a better idea.
  • KaraBoo87
    Options
    Well, it happened...so I don't know what to tell you.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Well, it happened...so I don't know what to tell you.

Of course. The website and everyone telling you it didn't happen are all wrong.

But you are correct.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I dont know why it is doing it but have had numerous people on my friends list complain of the same thing happening to them. Maybe its a bug?
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Perhaps you changed your activity level? this would also change the goal
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    :0
  • KaraBoo87
    Options
    There is no need to be rude, so if you don't have any good advice to offer, please don't post. Looking back at my diary, my goal now says 1960 for last Saturday, 1933 for Sunday (both of which are higher than the 1800 I started out with!). ONCE AGAIN- I LOGGED WEIGHT LOSS ON SATURDAY!!!! My calorie goal did not lower to 1750 until this morning (Wednesday).
  • KaraBoo87
    Options
    As I said in original post, I have made no changes to settings since starting the app 2 weeks ago. My activity level has remained the same.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Make your diary public.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Try asking MFP support for help if you haven't done anything different.

I assume you don't have a fitbit linked?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As I said in original post, I have made no changes to settings since starting the app 2 weeks ago. My activity level has remained the same.
    But what about your recorded exercise? MFP will increase your daily calorie limit in line with the exercise you record.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is no need to be rude, so if you don't have any good advice to offer, please don't post. Looking back at my diary, my goal now says 1960 for last Saturday, 1933 for Sunday (both of which are higher than the 1800 I started out with!). ONCE AGAIN- I LOGGED WEIGHT LOSS ON SATURDAY!!!! My calorie goal did not lower to 1750 until this morning (Wednesday).

do you have a device synced with MFP? or an app? are you logging exercise?
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    OP, do you happen to have a fitbit or anything like that hooked up to your MFP account?
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

My calorie goal was 1500 yesterday and it's 1200 today. 1200 is just too darn little for me so I don't really like that they've imposed it on me, it's quite a difference from one day to the next. Yes, I have lost between 4-5 pounds in the last two weeks or so, but it shouldn't change that drastically by my calculations. I hear you girl!!