Why you should cut out/lower sodium, sugar or carbs

Options

Replies

• tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You know I should have mentioned it earlier, but I do have one medical condition that might account for at least part of my half-the-cake-scarfing ways.

I'm ADD, and when I'm on my medication, I can eat one serving of cake and be done. I still ate too much sugar, though. In fact, I pretty much ran on sugar all through college. It was my brain fuel. But I never remember sitting down to a ridiculous serving size of anything, even when I was really hungry. I just snacked on regular size portions of junk all day.

So then it does sound like it is a matter of discipline and self control....

Isn't that was ADD meds do?
    help you exert control over what you would prefer to do naturally?

Actually, last I heard, they don't know why ADD meds work. It does have to do with impulse control, but I suspect you see self control as a moral thing, and a lack as a moral failing, rather than a complex chemical process in the brain reinforced or not by environment but also independent of environment.
    ADD meds help people lose weight even if they don't have ADD. Phenteramine is an amphetamine, just like most ADD meds. And ADD meds even help non-ADD adults to do better when they take ADD meds. Many medical students start on them to improve their grades.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I really am in the mood for twinkies and chocolate cake now ;).... sounds like a good lunch

eat both at once - chocolate twinkie.

3.jpg

Yessss! :love:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You know I should have mentioned it earlier, but I do have one medical condition that might account for at least part of my half-the-cake-scarfing ways.

I'm ADD, and when I'm on my medication, I can eat one serving of cake and be done. I still ate too much sugar, though. In fact, I pretty much ran on sugar all through college. It was my brain fuel. But I never remember sitting down to a ridiculous serving size of anything, even when I was really hungry. I just snacked on regular size portions of junk all day.

So then it does sound like it is a matter of discipline and self control....

Isn't that was ADD meds do?
    help you exert control over what you would prefer to do naturally?

Actually, last I heard, they don't know why ADD meds work. It does have to do with impulse control, but I suspect you see self control as a moral thing, and a lack as a moral failing, rather than a complex chemical process in the brain reinforced or not by environment but also independent of environment.
    ADD meds help people lose weight even if they don't have ADD. Phenteramine is an amphetamine, just like most ADD meds. And ADD meds even help non-ADD adults to do better when they take ADD meds. Many medical students start on them to improve their grades.

Short term this is true. However after many months of the same dosage, the appetite reduction is minimal. (Not sure about the cognition effects for non-ADD people) Which is why people who abuse it end up taking more and more. I was still capable of feeling normal hunger after the first few weeks, but the cravings for massive portions was gone. I did eat a little more on weekends that I didn't take it, but not much more. I don't remember sitting down to half a cake or anything close. And I was extremely stressed out, too, way more than I have ever been since.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I add extra monosodium glutamate to all of my food :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Gonna fry your brain w/ that $#!% :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL. I think she will. Look at this study.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in lower carbs helping to keep weight off. I've done it, and lost/maintained for quite awhile, until I stopped watching what I was eating. If I cut carbs it helps me lose, even better than calorie deficit alone.
    I've been stuck the past two weeks so I'm going to start watching carbs, protein and calories.

But by going lower carb, you are in a caloric deficit.
    Most likely...

I mean the only way you could tell for sure is if you were to track your intake before hand....

So if you were doing 250 gr of carbs a day...
    But then went to 50 gr a day....
    You went from a caloric intake (in carbs) of 1000 calories == 250 gr of carbs
    To 200 calories == 50 gr of carbs
  • Jestinia
    Options

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

Aren't these the symptoms they banned Ma Huang over? What is this doing in our food again?

Headache
    Flushing
    Sweating
    Facial pressure or tightness
    Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
    Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
    Chest pain
    Nausea
    Weakness
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Aren't these the symptoms they banned Ma Huang over? What is this doing in our food again?

Headache
    Flushing
    Sweating
    Chest pain
    Nausea
    Weakness

Hmmm....
    Kinda how I feel w/ my pre-workout. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jestinia
    Options

Headache
    Flushing
    Sweating
    Chest pain
    Nausea
    Weakness

Hmmm....

Yeah, I could probably name at least one ingredient you're taking, because I take a half dose of a preworkout pill for appetite control. I won't, though. Waiting for FDA ban. Surprised it hasn't happened already. Fine, no complaints I guess, but they bloody well ought to ban MSG too, then.

Edit: And no, I can't take it and eat cake without wanting too much cake! :sad:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Headache
    Flushing
    Sweating
    Chest pain
    Nausea
    Weakness

But it makes thing taste so good!

200.gif
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Headache
    Flushing
    Sweating
    Chest pain
    Nausea
    Weakness

But it makes thing taste so good!

200.gif

Haha! Of course it wont damage you if consume it in moderation but she buys it and uses it herself, which can be a little it more dangerous. Im a IIFYM follower btw :tongue:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Hmmm....

:laugh:

Honestly that's why I've largely moved away from pre-workouts. Provided I've had enough sleep, usually a bit of caffeine or maybe BCAA's if I'm working out on an empty stomach is sufficient and avoids the weird tingling/feelings/etc. I get from some pre-workouts.
  • angel381
    angel381 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like this :) Well said, hehe.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The level of extremes in here is hilarious. But, it's to be expected with every post like this.

For the most part, and I think we've all ruled out those with medical conditions, when people decide to track food in an effort to stop over consumption, this will automatically result in lower carbs(sugars), sodium, fat, but not always protein. When you are more aware of what you are eating, regardless of your style of eating, then macronutrients will usually fall into place on their own. The confusion comes in when people feel they need to lower them even more from reading someones extreme post or an overblown article. When, in reality, they've already lowered carbs(sugars), sodium, etc, from their previous eating levels just by lowering calorie intake.

The reason I mentioned protein not lowering is that, most of the time, people aren't eating enough. Now, that level will have a bearing on their goals, but still most people, IMO, could stand to eat more.

I don't think the OP was that far off. The intent was directed to people who are thoroughly confused. It's not hard to find an article in a popular magazine or newspaper demonizing foods. Her point was that if you don't feel like cutting out certain things, then it's not necessary. If you are someone who just feels the need to stay away from certain foods because of psychological reasons, then that's your business and your business alone.

Thank you! My OP is getting so misconstrued and blown out of proportion. Half the things that are being argued here aren't really anything relevant to this post.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    The level of extremes in here is hilarious. But, it's to be expected with every post like this.

For the most part, and I think we've all ruled out those with medical conditions, when people decide to track food in an effort to stop over consumption, this will automatically result in lower carbs(sugars), sodium, fat, but not always protein. When you are more aware of what you are eating, regardless of your style of eating, then macronutrients will usually fall into place on their own. The confusion comes in when people feel they need to lower them even more from reading someones extreme post or an overblown article. When, in reality, they've already lowered carbs(sugars), sodium, etc, from their previous eating levels just by lowering calorie intake.

The reason I mentioned protein not lowering is that, most of the time, people aren't eating enough. Now, that level will have a bearing on their goals, but still most people, IMO, could stand to eat more.

I don't think the OP was that far off. The intent was directed to people who are thoroughly confused. It's not hard to find an article in a popular magazine or newspaper demonizing foods. Her point was that if you don't feel like cutting out certain things, then it's not necessary. If you are someone who just feels the need to stay away from certain foods because of psychological reasons, then that's your business and your business alone.

Thank you! My OP is getting so misconstrued and blown out of proportion. Half the things that are being argued here aren't really anything relevant to this post.

Aww. I like your edited OP. At this point, the sidetracking and derailments are purely for fun.
  • angel381
    angel381 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Aww. I like your edited OP. At this point, the sidetracking and derailments are purely for fun.

I can appreciate how you feel. I started with the mentality that junk is the devil so that I could work my mind to searching and being happy with healthier choices. It helped me a lot. I can now look at junk as... not necessarily the devil, but I can learn to savor a smaller bit and be satisifed. I have also found that my healthier choices are pretty tasty afterall. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Maybe edited for flame baiting violation avoidance - nice touch!! :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    and that you can eat some chocolate cake if you want it.

And I will have the chocolate cake. But I don't want a teaspoonful or even a serving size sliver. I want the entire cake. Well, more like half a cake. So in order to get what I want in the quantity that makes it worth having, I can't eat it every day, unless I also want to get fat again.

I also won't pretend I couldn't have made a healthier choice by not having the cake and having 2000 calories of nutrient dense foods instead. Unless they start selling vitamin fortified, antioxidant rich, organic-flavonoid-food-buzzword-something-or-other-cake.

Well now, once again....
    What we are talking about there is a topic for another thread.
    Cause it comes down to self-control and discipline......

So comes down to the wonderful thing we have as human beings, that no other living creature has.
    Free will and choice. :wink:

It isn't about discipline. No one eats chocolate cake because they need to fuel their body (with the possible exception of a student in need of a sugar buzz). We eat stuff like that because we want to enjoy the tastes, textures, and yes, that nice all over sensation that is a sugar buzz. So if you get your food enjoyment with a sliver and I don't get it until half the cake is gone, it has nothing to do with self control or discipline.

Edit: An example you might understand.

Take a crumb of chocolate cake and eat it. Now stop. Was it worth bothering? One crumb? Doubtful.

so a crumb of chocolate cake is the equivalent to a slice and then stopping???? You seriously need to re-examine how you view food...
  • Jestinia
    Options

Maybe edited for flame baiting violation avoidance - nice touch!! :smile:

*looks confused* Nah, that wasn't how I saw it.

Besides, this thread hasn't all been fun and games or a time waster for me. It has convinced me that I've been a hard headed, cheapskate idiot by being off my proper ADD medication and struggling all this time. Thanks, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I completely disagree with OP.

Different food sources trigger different responses in the body. There is a wealth of information out there that will explain this much better that I am willing to try.

To say it doesn't matter whether you eat 500 calories of a Mars bars is the same as eating 500 cal of spinach is only correct in 500 cal are 500 cal, but it neglecting the fact that both food items trigger different responses in our bodies,

Stef.
    Requesting that you please try and explain those responses.

Read The calorie myth by Jonathan Bailor. Just look at Harvard medical papers, tons of information that it DOES matter what you put in your body and yes sugar is not good. Can not even believe that this needs to be discussed.
    Stef.

maybe you should review "the twinkie diet" and then come back and see what you have to say …

and saying that "the debate is over" is a typical debate tactic of those that do not even want to debate because they know their argument will be torn apart ..so it is easier to just try and belittle someone with intellect and say "oh, well everyone knows that and i can't believe that we are debating this" ….just like the global warming zealots...

All the twinkie diet proves is that even a bad diet that causes weight loss in an individual who needs to lose weight may improve health markers. And that is something worth knowing and studying But no high performance athlete is going to recommend this diet. And while most of us are far from high performance anything, we still have enough sense to know that we'd feel like total crap all day on a diet like that. Even those who don't have major food triggers. I know you aren't really trying to imply that twinkies are just as good for you as spinach, though. You're just having fun. Which I can respect, I love a good throw down, dragged out argument over virtually anything!

the previous poster was trying to say that calories in vs calories out does not matter and it is about quality of calories and that the "debate was closed"...I simply pointed out that the twinkie diet proves that you can lose weigh based on eating less of the same foods, regardless or quality...

Take a look at the diet of a typical offensive lineman in the NFL ..I would say they are "elite athletes" and I can guarantee they are not eating clean to keep 300 pounds on their frame...