Why you should cut out/lower sodium, sugar or carbs

Options
lemonsnowdrop
lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
If you have a medical condition which requires you to do so. Otherwise, please stop obsessing over and wasting precious time worrying about things that won't harm you. As I always try to reiterate, life is too short.

ETA: I'm not saying that individuals shouldn't be able to reduce the amount of x they consume, if that's what is keeping them from achieving weight loss. The intention of this post was to point out that demonizing any particular food group is unnecessary. "I went over my sodium intake, that is horrible!" and "Added sugars are horrible" statements are far too frequent, and that way of thinking really isn't healthy or needed.

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I do have a medical condition. Roughly, it's called a tendency to get fat. Cutting sugar and when possible carbs actually helps me not get fat. So I'll keep right on with it.

But I'll also keep envying those who don't have to cut anything and can still lose or maintain weight. See my green eyes? That is the green eyed envy monster staring you lucky people down.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I do have a medical condition. Roughly, it's called a tendency to get fat. Cutting sugar and when possible carbs actually helps me not get fat. So I'll keep right on with it.

But I'll also keep envying those who don't have to cut anything and can still lose or maintain weight. See my green eyes? That is the green eyed envy monster staring you lucky people down.

The only reason why cutting out sugar and carbs is helping you not get fat is because it's helping you restrict your calorie intake and/or preventing you from bingeing if they are trigger foods (also, restricting your calorie intake).
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Love this post. :tongue: :tongue:
  • Jestinia
    Options

The only reason why cutting out sugar and carbs is helping you not get fat is because it's helping you restrict your calorie intake and/or preventing you from bingeing if they are trigger foods (also, restricting your calorie intake).

Correct. And?
  • PRMinx
    Options

Correct. And?

That's not a medical condition. Also, it doesn't mean that there is anything inherently wrong or unhealthy about carbs and sugar.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    MDMR!
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what foods lead to a tendency to overeat. Calorie dense foods like bread, foods containing added sugar can cause over eating in some people. Other people have to watch their fat or salt or they would overeat chips or cheese for example. Everyone has their triggers. If we didn't then most of us wouldn't be trying to lose weight!
  • Jestinia
    Options

Correct. And?

That's not a medical condition. Also, it doesn't mean that there is anything inherently wrong or unhealthy about carbs and sugar.

Well if you really want to quibble, we could call it a necessary tactic in my case for medical condition prevention. But I didn't want to just tell the OP she is flat out wrong. I was being polite.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Correct. And?

Well if you really want to quibble, we could call it a necessary tactic in my case for medical condition prevention. But I didn't want to just tell the OP she is flat out wrong. I was being polite.

But the OP isn't wrong.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Correct. And?

But the OP isn't wrong.

She's wrong or at least her comments are a little misguided - I'm sure she has good intentions.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Correct. And?

But the OP isn't wrong.

The OP is wrong. My life will be much shorter and less happy if I don't control my carb and sugar intake. Your results may vary.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Correct. And?

There isn't any reason you can't have anything. If you choose to do so, fine, but many people feel like society pressures them to eat a certain way when in fact there is no logical reason for it. Still, you can go over your calorie limit even if you cut out certain things. I don't like people demonizing food and intimidating those who are just starting out.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Mmmm sugar, carbs and salt. Who would want to cut that delicousness out anyways? :love:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well in truth then, we must control all things we put into our mouth....
    Not just those things she listed. :wink:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I suppose the counter would be why, when you acknowledge it's helping her restrict her caloric intake, she should stop her current routine just because she doesn't have a "medical condition"? If it's not broken, why try to fix it?
    Otherwise, please stop obsessing over and wasting precious time worrying about things that won't harm you.
    But the OP isn't wrong.

To the extent the OP completely ignores how restricting certain foods might help with a cut and spins it as "obsessing and wasting precious time worrying about" such restrictions, I'd say the OP is wrong or at least is overly simplistic. The implication there is that there are no benefits to reducing your consumption of specific nutrients in the absence of a medical condition, but that's inaccurate. Tweaking your macros to, for example, reduce your carbs on a cut is not necessarily obsessing nor is it wasting time; quite often, it's a great way to reduce your appetite and keep you satiating when eating a lower caloric intake that's necessary for a cut.

I'm not a fan of the all-too-common "I'm cutting out all sugar!" posts, but overly simplistic posts like the OP's aren't any better in my opinion.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Adding to this, look up longitudinal research on groups who were classed according to their diets. People who control their sugar intake, etc., and eat a plant-based (not to be confused with vegetarian/vegan) tend to be healthier and live longer than those who don't for various reasons.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Mmmm sugar, carbs and salt. Who would want to cut that delicousness out anyways? :love:

If your counting calories you're restricting and cutting back.

Every diet (or eating strategy, or whatever else people call it) requires a sacrifice. Different people find different sacrifices easier to handle.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    While I agree that people do not necessarily need to worry about carb and sugar intake so much unless they are a diabetic or insulin resistant. I am not so sure I agree with the sodium. Below is an article from the American Heart Association on the effects of too much sodium.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/The-Effects-of-Excess-Sodium-on-Your-Health-and-Appearance_UCM_454387_Article.jsp

My mother (who loves her salt) has been an appropriate weight for her size all her life and walks every day but still has high blood pressure and Osteoperosis. I am not saying it is all linked to to much sodium but obviously it could be.