Why you should cut out/lower sodium, sugar or carbs

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Well, tried eating healthy and at a calorie deficit for a month. Didn't lose a pound. I eat low-carb high-fat and eat until I'm full, and whaddya know, I'm down 35 lbs. in 3 months.

That's because fat and protein are more filling and take more time to break down in the body. They sustain you longer. You may feel full, but you are eating at a deficit.

My biggest focus in terms of my diet is getting enough protein (about 40%). That's all I really focus on and the rest works itself out. If I have some sugar, it's not going to torpedo my progress. I have to keep it within my macros though, so I need to have the self control to only eat what fits comfortably into the plan.

keb7nq.gif

magic.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Well, tried eating healthy and at a calorie deficit for a month. Didn't lose a pound. I eat low-carb high-fat and eat until I'm full, and whaddya know, I'm down 35 lbs. in 3 months.

That's because fat and protein are more filling and take more time to break down in the body. They sustain you longer. You may feel full, but you are eating at a deficit.

My biggest focus in terms of my diet is getting enough protein (about 40%). That's all I really focus on and the rest works itself out. If I have some sugar, it's not going to torpedo my progress. I have to keep it within my macros though, so I need to have the self control to only eat what fits comfortably into the plan.

keb7nq.gif

magic.gif

2wgungp.gif
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    self control > pretending sugars and carbs and sodiums are teh debil

I exercise self control every time I don't put something in my mouth that is going to make me crave more of it.

no that's denial not self control ....

Self control is being able to eat what you want/love/crave in moderation (moderation=self control)

By what twisted definition of self control is abstaining from something not control of one's self? If I were to fast for the next 7 days, would that require absolutely no self control simply because that involves the denial of food? No willpower whatsoever required simply because it involves abstaining? That simply makes no sense.

If you think self control means "moderation", you should consult a dictionary.

I did...

self denial per websters = a restraint or limitation of one's own desires or interests
    self control = Satiation

The decrease in liking of and desire for a substance following repeated consumption is known as satiation. Satiation rates when eating depend on interactions of trait self-control and healthiness of the food. ... those with low self-control satiated at the same rate regardless of health condition. Perceived unhealthiness of the food alone, regardless of actual health level, relates to faster satiation, but only for people with high trait self-control.

Interesting. But to exercise that self control, according to your own quote in its application to this thread, you would have to perceive carbs and sugar as unhealthy.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I did...

self denial per websters = a restraint or limitation of one's own desires or interests
    self control = Satiation

The decrease in liking of and desire for a substance following repeated consumption is known as satiation. Satiation rates when eating depend on interactions of trait self-control and healthiness of the food. ... those with low self-control satiated at the same rate regardless of health condition. Perceived unhealthiness of the food alone, regardless of actual health level, relates to faster satiation, but only for people with high trait self-control

We're really in the weeds here, but:
    Self Control - restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires

If I desire to eat a twinkie (can't say that I do, but for the sake of example) but I exercise restraint by not eating a twinkie, that's self control. It's also a denial of my urge to eat a twinkie. Satiation is completely separate from self control and is used to describe when you've eaten to or beyond capacity. Whatever you're quoting from is suggesting a link between a measure of self control and satiety, but it says nothing about the meaning of the terms. I really am lost as to how you think the terms self control and satiation are synonymous.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

If your counting calories you're restricting and cutting back.

Every diet (or eating strategy, or whatever else people call it) requires a sacrifice. Different people find different sacrifices easier to handle.

And we're all here for the same reason, right?

We're all making sacrifices.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    self control > pretending sugars and carbs and sodiums are teh debil

I exercise self control every time I don't put something in my mouth that is going to make me crave more of it.

no that's denial not self control ....

Self control is being able to eat what you want/love/crave in moderation (moderation=self control)

By what twisted definition of self control is abstaining from something not control of one's self? If I were to fast for the next 7 days, would that require absolutely no self control simply because that involves the denial of food? No willpower whatsoever required simply because it involves abstaining? That simply makes no sense.

If you think self control means "moderation", you should consult a dictionary.

I did...

self control = Satiation

The decrease in liking of and desire for a substance following repeated consumption is known as satiation. Satiation rates when eating depend on interactions of trait self-control and healthiness of the food. ... those with low self-control satiated at the same rate regardless of health condition. Perceived unhealthiness of the food alone, regardless of actual health level, relates to faster satiation, but only for people with high trait self-control.

Interesting. But to exercise that self control, according to your own quote in its application to this thread, you would have to perceive carbs and sugar as unhealthy.

and by your own admission you will have health issues if you eat the sugar/carbs/sodium you crave...but deny yourself to keep yourself healthy.
    I do have a medical condition. Roughly, it's called a tendency to get fat. Cutting sugar and when possible carbs actually helps me not get fat. So I'll keep right on with it.
    edited for spelling...
  • Jestinia
    Options
    Considering that I often go three to four days out of every week eating zero food, I'm not too worried about what random internet people have to say about my capacity for self control.

What I would be interested in knowing is what biological and/or psychological traits make it easier for me to eat nothing than to eat one serving of cupcakes and leave the rest for another day?

If anyone wants to link appropriate abstracts and so forth, I will gladly read them. The attempt to paint me as weak willed however, has failed for lack of evidence.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Considering that I often go three to four days out of every week eating zero food, I'm not too worried about what random internet people have to say about my capacity for self control.

What I would be interested in knowing is what biological and/or psychological traits make it easier for me to eat nothing than to eat one serving of cupcakes and leave the rest for another day?

If anyone wants to link appropriate abstracts and so forth, I will gladly read them. The attempt to paint me as weak willed however, has failed for lack of evidence.
    as was your attempt to prove OP wrong. your arguments have little to do with her statement and more to do with you (not saying your weak willed, but plenty of others here have proven that you can eat sugar and still lose weight). this thread was about people freaking out about sugar and sodium content, when it is the calorie count itself that will have an effect on fat loss/gain, not about people who cant eat one chocolate and leave the rest of the box alone i.e. a lack of moderation, hence people saying you lack self control. if you expect weight loss to be sustainable then you should allow yourself these things in small amounts otherwise you will end up binging eventually. calorie counting is about being able to eat whatever you want within your macro limitations.

as for going that long without food, i wouldnt do that. seems like your putting yourself through a great deal to lose weight when you could easily eat every single day and still experience fat loss.

the reason you cant eat one cupcake and leave the rest alone is due to a dopeamine release in your brain, which is the same thing that happens during sex, or basically anything that could make you happy. its essentially a drug addiction through food, which most people on this website have had or still have
  • Jestinia
    Options

as was your attempt to prove OP wrong. your arguments have little to do with her statement and more to do with you (not saying your weak willed, but plenty of others here have proven that you can eat sugar and still lose weight). this thread was about people freaking out about sugar and sodium content, when it is the calorie count itself that will have an effect on fat loss/gain, not about people who cant eat one chocolate and leave the rest of the box alone i.e. a lack of moderation, hence people saying you lack self control. if you expect weight loss to be sustainable then you should allow yourself these things in small amounts otherwise you will end up binging eventually. calorie counting is about being able to eat whatever you want within your macro limitations.

as for going that long without food, i wouldnt do that. seems like your putting yourself through a great deal to lose weight when you could easily eat every single day and still experience fat loss.

I'll tell you what. Find me a peer reviewed study that shows I will reach my goal weight and/or maintain it easier and/or faster by eating a single serving of chocolate cake for breakfast, then ignoring the all-day cravings this produces, and I will go buy a chocolate cake Friday and do it for a month to see what happens.

Just one good study. Otherwise, I have to assume this is merely your opinion on the matter and may work for you but may not for me.
  • PRMinx
    Options

:huh:

JzmkF.gif
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I'll tell you what. Find me a peer reviewed study that shows I will reach my goal weight and/or maintain it easier and/or faster by eating a single serving of chocolate cake for breakfast, then ignoring the all-day cravings this produces, and I will go buy a chocolate cake Friday and do it for a month to see what happens.

Just one good study. Otherwise, I have to assume this is merely your opinion on the matter and may work for you but may not for me.

No one said that eating things in moderation makes weight loss easier or faster. You're putting things out of context. What we're saying is that weight loss is possible by eating a certain amount of calories and still eating things you enjoy.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Go do a google search for "Twinkie Diet"
    I will help you out
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

if it fits your calorie goals i can personally guarantee that it would still cause fat loss. the guys comment above about the twinkie diet
  • Jestinia
    Options

if it fits your calorie goals i can personally guarantee that it would still cause fat loss. the guys comment above about the twinkie diet

The twinkie diet says it was possible, not beneficial. In fact, the guy doing it didn't think it was beneficial at all, plus as I recall his breakfast was something veggie, then he ate snackfood the rest of the day. Nor is it peer reviewed research.

I do agree, if I eat below maintenance, no matter what I eat, I will lose weight. However, how does it benefit my plan to induce annoying cravings that make me grumpy and unhappy rather than (most of the time, because I do eat some carbs and sugar) resist entirely and have a more pleasant day?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    The twinkie diet says it was possible, not beneficial. In fact, the guy doing it didn't think it was beneficial at all, plus as I recall his breakfast was something veggie, then he ate snackfood the rest of the day. Nor is it peer reviewed research.

I do agree, if I eat below maintenance, no matter what I eat, I will lose weight. However, how does it benefit my plan to induce annoying cravings that make me grumpy and unhappy rather than (most of the time, because I do eat some carbs and sugar) resist entirely and have a more pleasant day?

I never said it was healthy or nutritious....
    Only that it was possible to achieve what you said you wanted to achieve in a post earlier.

and the point remains he did lose weight.
    His health markers DID improve
    and he lost 27 pounds

edit
    Do you need a peer review when the test subject actually performed the test on himself and then was able to present the results first hand?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jestinia
    Options

Only that it was possible to achieve what you said you wanted to achieve in a post earlier.

and he lost 27 pounds

I said how will it help me, not prove it's possible. My health markers have improved steadily since I lost weight starting more than two years ago.

I'm really not trying to be obnoxious. I don't have to try, it comes naturally.

All I'm quibbling with OP about is that for some of us it is easier to resist certain things entirely or greatly reduce them in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

As for exerting willpower, if I couldn't do that, I never would have reached my current weight to begin with. But I am a big believer in not doing something the hard way if there is an easy way.

If someone can show me how eating chocolate cake for breakfast, then craving all day but not giving into those cravings will help me lose a few more vanity pounds faster or easier and/or then maintain at my goal weight, I'm all for it. An excuse to eat chocolate cake every day for breakfast for a month? Okay. But I don't think any peer reviewed study exists showing that inducing a food craving, then resisting it all day, day in, day out, is beneficial to those of us struggling to lose or maintain.

Edit: It needs to be peer reviewed primarily to show quality of research, and it needs to be more than one person, because otherwise, that just shows results for one person. Not even a female at that.
  • MityMax96
    Options

and he lost 27 pounds

I said how will it help me, not prove it's possible. My health markers have improved steadily since I lost weight starting more than two years ago.

I'm really not trying to be obnoxious. I don't have to try, it comes naturally.

All I'm quibbling with OP about is that for some of us it is easier to resist certain things entirely or greatly reduce them in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

As for exerting willpower, if I couldn't do that, I never would have reached my current weight to begin with. But I am a big believer in not doing something the hard way if there is an easy way.

If someone can show me how eating chocolate cake for breakfast, then craving all day but not giving into those cravings will help me lose a few more vanity pounds faster or easier and/or then maintain at my goal weight, I'm all for it. An excuse to eat chocolate cake every day for breakfast for a month? Okay. But I don't think any peer reviewed study exists showing that inducing a food craving, then resisting it all day, day in, day out, is beneficial to those of us struggling to lose or maintain.

Edit: It needs to be peer reviewed primarily to show quality of research, and it needs to be more than one person, because otherwise, that just shows results for one person. Not even a female at that.

Ok mate...

But what if you just ate smaller pieces of chocolate cake throughout the day??
    Say you allotted 500 calories of cake for the day....
    So you break that slice of cake up into 5 servings to have 100 calories 5 times a day??

I mean I have only been following some of your posts on this thread....

But you are saying that you have to keep all these certain foods out of your diet for you to lose/maintain your desired weight....and that is not the case.

I mean for me, I have no problem turning away from cake or brownies or doughnuts....
    But not all people are like me.
    So for those people, it will be alright to indulge in their "cake".....
    Just fit it in.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    side note too.
    We all have to exert will power and discipline to achieve results we want.

I do....
    I am not as lean as I am, because I indulge in all I want.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    side note too.
    We all have to exert will power and discipline to achieve results we want.

I do....
    I am not as lean as I am, because I indulge in all I want.

Amen. Sometimes, I pat my ice cream and whisper softly, "More tomorrow."
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Why are we even talking about cake here?

You are starving yourself for 3-4 days a week by your own admission. There is nothing you can say or do to convince me that this is healthy. This is disordered eating and, as someone who has suffered from and recovered from an ED, I urge you to seek counseling to find a better way.

I realize you are going to argue this point because you think you are doing right by yourself. That's how the disease works.