Replies

• BrownEyedBetty
    BrownEyedBetty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You sir are a true gentlemen : )
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I know there's been a lot of noise and chatter about "privilege" recently but...the idea that you would even think about going up to a total stranger and saying, "Oh, good for you!" is just about the epitome of "privilege," especially of the WM variety.

Brilliant. The only way that is said is by a very privileged WF.
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Last time I tried the gym thing I was much healthier, weighed about 100 lbs less and someone beside me kept talking to me about how spinning would help me lose weight. I never went back. Fast forward a few years into the future and now I walk at night and only stop by the fitness center between 8-10pm and only if I pass by first and the lights are off--fear of running into someone who will think I'm just wasting my time in there or something. It is a constant mental battle.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The lesson to be learnt from all of the above is that some people enjoy the encouragement/comments and some people don't.

I try to take any comments I receive as positively as possible because in the end, we can't control our surroundings but we can control our reactions.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am "fat". I go to the gym.

I cannot stand the patronizing looks I get, people want to "help" me set the elliptical...thanks, I know how to do this...

Or the special orientation I received the other day in Spin by the instructor...she did not check out the "fit" of anyone else's bike....and no, I did not weigh as much as the 6'5" burly football player next to me...she did not check his bike.

Just leave me alone, same as you do with everyone else there. Idbots.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    And this is why I don't go to the gym. Why can't I just be another person at the gym.... Why do I have to be a fat person at the gym.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Oh lord, how and why was this thread resurrected? I thought this was last night's garbage fire thread of the same name brought back to life.
    I hate this patronizing nonsense.
    The next time I see a person with blonde hair reading I'm going to go up to them and congratulate them for being a reader even though it must be so hard for them. My good deed done for the day.
    Now doesn't that sound like a condescending thing to do?

I think someone was looking for last night's thread (which was deleted) and pulled this one up.

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to give encouragement to newbies no matter their size. "Great lunges!" or a thumbs up and smile are great encouragement to anyone who's unsure. I'm going to start weight lifting next week, and I'm really nervous. I hope someone gives me a thumbs up or a few pointers!!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The lesson to be learnt from all of the above is that some people enjoy the encouragement/comments and some people don't.

I try to take any comments I receive as positively as possible because in the end, we can't control our surroundings but we can control our reactions.

Why did you do this
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't get why you would cheer someone of a larger size on for some sort of exercise or even being in the gym. They're there for their reason. I would be pissed off if someone said to me good on you for getting into a gym. Phrase me for my form, my fitness but not because I'm bigger and I'm in a gym. And I've actually told a trainer his comment was wank. He didnt mean it like that he says...um ok use more words.

But regardless of size if you don't rack your weights when you're finished or you dont wipe down your station after use i will say something to you.

I like people big or small, fat or thin who commit and you see it in them.
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't get why you would cheer someone of a larger size on for some sort of exercise or even being in the gym. They're there for their reason. I would be pissed off if someone said to me good on you for getting into a gym. Phrase me for my form, my fitness but not because I'm bigger and I'm in a gym. And I've actually told a trainer his comment was wank. He didnt mean it like that he says...um ok use more words.

But regardless of size if you don't rack your weights when you're finished or you dont wipe down your station after use i will say something to you.

I like people big or small, fat or thin who commit and you see it in them.
  • CountessOCandy
    CountessOCandy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I realize this is an old string, but I was just thinking about this at the gym this morning. I started going to the gym in my building a couple weeks ago and I am the only fat person that have seen there. I was wondering what people think when they see me there. Do they roll their eyes behind my back? Do they think I’m invading their space? I’m not going to stop going in any case, I was just wondering.
    I’m glad I found this string. It definitely makes me feel more encouraged