if you eat at a deficit for a long enough time...

Options
A bit of a strange (and perhaps silly) question...

Take a woman weighing 150, who is 5'5'', who ate 1200 calories (not trying to engage in the 1200 calorie debate) for a long period of time...let's say 5 years. In that time, that person should have lost down to 100 pounds (1200 calories is still a deficit for a sedentary woman of 5'5' at 100 pounds). Am i correct in this thinking?

It seems logical, but it seems like it doesn't play out that way. i seems that i hear women stay at 1200 calories forever and still have a few pounds to lose.

not advocating this at all. it is just a theoretical question.

edit: the 5 years is somewhat arbitrary. i didn't do the math. but in 5 years eating at a deficit--this hypothetical woman would probably weigh less than 100 (or whatever weight 1200 calories a day is maintenance for).

Replies

• GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't someone still lose since they are still at a deficit...it would just take longer due to AT? I never heard that AT would be an all out stop to weight loss before.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Take a woman weighing 150, who is 5'5'', who ate 1200 calories (not trying to engage in the 1200 calorie debate) for a long period of time...let's say 5 years. In that time, that person should have lost down to 100 pounds (1200 calories is still a deficit for a sedentary woman of 5'5' at 100 pounds). Am i correct in this thinking?

It seems logical, but it seems like it doesn't play out that way. i seems that i hear women stay at 1200 calories forever and still have a few pounds to lose.

Agreed with PPs but also have to add -
    there is a huge difference between saying they are eating 1200 calories and actually eating 1200 calories. People tend to underestimate how much they eat. I do it myself.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone hitting AT on a 1200 calorie diet.

pls people....
  • GretaGirl8
    Options

there is a huge difference between saying they are eating 1200 calories and actually eating 1200 calories. People tend to underestimate how much they eat. I do it myself.

Right, this is assuming that 1200 calories is actual calories consumed.
  • boxingfun75
    boxingfun75 Posts: 11
    Options
    But wouldn't someone still lose since they are still at a deficit...it would just take longer due to AT? I never heard that AT would be an all out stop to weight loss before.

I think you are correct because I would think that this is how weight loss surgery works, they can only eat very few calories and that is why they actually lose huge amounts of weight in a short amount of time. People who do not have such restrictions on how much they can eat do not actually lose it that quickly because they CAN and DO eat more than 1200 calories, they just claim or "think" they are eating 1200 calories.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

pls people....

Adaptive thermogenesis doesn't just occur at very low calorie amounts. Ask anyone who's ever tried to bulk.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Your question was whether someone would lose at the same rate over five years.

No, they would not.
  • dmenchac
    Options

pls people....

Adaptive thermogenesis doesn't just occur at very low calorie amounts. Ask anyone who's ever tried to bulk.

Oh sweet baby Jesus. I need to leave this forum.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Right, this is assuming that 1200 calories is actual calories consumed.

Given the example the way it was presented I couldn't just assume that. But I get what you are asking.
  • RageEight
    RageEight Posts: 14 Member
    Options

There are so many great statements made on here each day. It's awesome.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options

i was thinking the same thing. I see a lot of people eating a 1200 calorie diet but binging on weekends or slipping up often and not recording it in their food log OR they get tired of their restrictive "diet" and go back to their old habits, gain the weight back and start on a 1200 calorie diet all over again.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

pls people....

Here is some science for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • GretaGirl8
    Options

Your question was whether someone would lose at the same rate over five years.

No, they would not.

sorry if my phrasing was confusing. I realize they wouldn't lose at the same rate...but they would still lose until their "maintenance calories" = 1200? at which point, they would maintain on 1200.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Now spreading to the gaining weight forum:

Guys I am eating 1000 calorie a day surplus and I will not gain weight. Am I in Stuffed mode?

Adaptive thermogenesis must be it!
  • dmenchac
    Options

pls people....

Here is some science for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

There is plenty of science introduced on adaptive thermogenesis in this forum on a daily basis. The most recent being from Vismus or however you spell his name. Unless you quoted the wrong person of course...
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

NO!

When someone eats at a deficit its to eat at a BMR or TDEE of their GOAL WEIGHT. For someone to be 150lbs and eat 1200 calories a day they will never get to lose 100lbs. In order to lose 100lbs they will have to eat nothing and run a marathon in a blizzard naked every day for a year. And by the time they even lose that 100 lbs, they would be dead before that.

For an age 30 Female who is sedentary, doesnt exercise is 5' 5" and 150lbs their BMR is around 1400 (depending which calculator is used). 200 cal deficit per day for 5 years? It wouldnt even get that far. In less than 3 years that same woman would get to 110lbs where she will be 33 and her BMR will now be around 1200 cals and she will be in Maintenance.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    People lie about what they eat.

..and there is no way to lose down to 50 pounds without dying.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    also because most people who claim to have been eating X calories for Y time have been underestimating their consumption