if you eat at a deficit for a long enough time...

Options
2»

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone hitting AT on a 1200 calorie diet.

pls people....

Adaptive thermogenesis doesn't just occur at very low calorie amounts. Ask anyone who's ever tried to bulk.

Oh sweet baby Jesus. I need to leave this forum.

Here is some science for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

Now that I am reading the article for a second time today and seeing how it is supporting everything I am saying, I think you quoted the wrong person.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

pls people....

Even I haven't, at least not yet. Thankfully! Not to the level where I don't lose anymore on 1200. Although if I do get down to the lower end of a healthy weight, according to calculators, the difference between losing, maintaining, and gaining will be minuscule. It would probably take me a month to lose a pound on MFP's 1200.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

pls people....

Adaptive thermogenesis doesn't just occur at very low calorie amounts. Ask anyone who's ever tried to bulk.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

Now that I am reading the article for a second time today and seeing how it is supporting everything I am saying, I think you quoted the wrong person.

What are you saying, exactly? That AT can't occur for someone resulting in a maintenance at 1200 calories?
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    honestly, i have read the articles referenced, and I believe I understand them. I have no doubt that losing weight, reducing calories significantly and being at a low weight ALL factor in to how our body utilizes fuel. But no where in those articles does it say someone will STOP losing at a deficit, but rather, the loss will be slower. Or am I reading the articles incorrectly? Are you suggesting that in spite of a deficit, the body will just completely resist weight loss?
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this. Very informative read!
  • dmenchac
    Options

pls people....

What are you saying, exactly? That AT can't occur for someone resulting in a maintenance at 1200 calories?

That is not what I am saying..

Read my posts. I can't do this forum anymore lol

Bulking Adaptive Thermogenesis

Coming to theaters near you
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

pls people....

Drat - yes I did, sorry.

Ah well at least the link is here :embarassed:
  • dmenchac
    Options

pls people....

Drat - yes I did, sorry.

Happens to the best of us! I was however getting worried for a second.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    No, she would not. In a purely theoretical situation, assuming she starts at age 20, by week 190 she will hit 100% maintenance. She will weight 69 lbs.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Why is this not a sticky topic in this forum? Its a great thread!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

pls people....

Drat - yes I did, sorry.

Oh

I quoted the wrong post - but the right person

I mean to quote it in regards to this post of yours

pls people....

Yikes - even more confusing. oops.
  • firstsip
    Options

pls people....

That is not what I am saying..

Read my posts. I can't do this forum anymore lol

Bulking Adaptive Thermogenesis

Coming to theaters near you

I wasn't being rhetorical. You haven't been clear at all other than "I can't do this forum lol," so I looked for clarity. Are you then "saying" that one's TDEE does not increase while bulking?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

pls people....

Drat - yes I did, sorry.

Oh

I quoted the wrong post - but the right person

I mean to quote it in regards to this post of yours

pls people....

Yikes - even more confusing. oops.

You know what is confusing - people making vague disagree statements but not actually saying anything.
    For the benefit of us people who may not be experts, does anyone want to elaborate?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    well, okay. obviously we have real world examples of people at extremely low weights due to calorie restriction. i am not sure of their restriction or how long it takes. so, i guess my understanding still remains that someone will always lose weight on a deficit but it will be considerably slower at some point.
  • firstsip
    Options
    well, okay. obviously we have real world examples of people at extremely low weights due to calorie restriction. i am not sure of their restriction or how long it takes. so, i guess my understanding still remains that someone will always lose weight on a deficit but it will be considerably slower at some point.

Yes, more or less. People's maintenance calories will lower, as well, but say you're eating 1200 calories for years, lose, lose less as you lose weight, and eventually maintain, you may still lose (as 1200 is below most people's BMRs), but will lose even more slowly.

The real world examples are generally a good analogy to look at. Anorexics, for example, often have to resort to more drastic means of weight reduction as weight loss slows considerably towards lower weights, even when eating in extreme deficits.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options

Yes, more or less. People's maintenance calories will lower, as well, but say you're eating 1200 calories for years, lose, lose less as you lose weight, and eventually maintain, you may still lose (as 1200 is below most people's BMRs), but will lose even more slowly.

The real world examples are generally a good analogy to look at. Anorexics, for example, often have to resort to more drastic means of weight reduction as weight loss slows considerably towards lower weights, even when eating in extreme deficits.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the response.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

pls people....

Huh? :huh: AT is relevant for me at 2700+ maintenance (or 3500+ bulk or 2100 cut).

Well, maybe "relevant" isn't the right word...but it's in play nonetheless.