*NOT FOR WEAK STOMACHS OR HEARTS*

Options
If you decide to watch this, please be prepared. It's a gruesome wake-up call to what most of us are doing. This is how industrial meat producers (in other words, the main companies we get our meat from) treat animals. If you'd like to argue that this is okay, or even if eating animals is okay, be my guest. Hopefully I can convince you otherwise. If I can't, I sincerely hope this video can.

http://www.meat.org/

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I cannot bear to watch it, I can only imagine......I rarely eat meat, I mostly only eat seafood, and have thought about cutting meat completely out of my diet just because of things like this. I know there are more humane ways for us to have meat, I just don't understand the cruel nature of people....but, it is all about the money, not the treatment of the animals, and it makes me sick.....
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    i cant watch it but dont eat anything with a face <3
  • cmadden89
    Options
    That is horible. However, not all meat raising farms are like that
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I closed out of it. I couldn't watch the whole thing. That is HORRIBLE!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    SERIOUS VEGETARIAN because of a video similar to this five years ago! I can't even watch it now.

I'm not preachy but I urge people to seriously consider where their meat comes from and the conditions the animals are in. Whenever ANYTHING is massed produced, quality and safety regulations aren't kept to high standards.

If you don't want to make the switch to vegetarianism, at least buy organic or free range or from farmer's markets when ever possible!
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If it has to do with a poor innocent animal and its cruelty i can not watch it
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    This is totally meant to sound not snarky, cuz I agree animals are treated horribly when they go to slaughter. But I was wanting to know if you're vegan.

Ugh....... I could only get through the bird part. It's a shame too, cuz we just bought 10 lbs of chicken breast yesterday.......... It doesn't make me want to be vegetarian, it makes me want to raise my own animals for slaughter, so I know what is being done to them and what is being fed to them. I don't want to use the meat now, from large slaughter houses, etc, just because of what is done to them. It's wrong on so many levels. And the native american in me thinks it's right to bless what is killed before it's eaten, thanking it for its life and respecting the fact that it is dead.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    That is horible. However, not all meat raising farms are like that

No, but if you buy your meat from places like Tyson, Smithfield, Cargill, Hormel, Perdue, Swift, etc. you can almost guarantee that this is how they are handled. If you feel you must eat meat PLEASE buy organic, free-range beef and chicken and wild-caught fish.
  • mama0f4
    mama0f4 Posts: 15
    Options
    this totally made me change my ways of meat. no more will i be eating meat... this made me sad.....thanks for posting
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I cannot bear to watch it, I can only imagine......I rarely eat meat, I mostly only eat seafood, and have thought about cutting meat completely out of my diet just because of things like this. I know there are more humane ways for us to have meat, I just don't understand the cruel nature of people....but, it is all about the money, not the treatment of the animals, and it makes me sick.....

I hate to break it to you, but the first frame of the video is a dead fish. So you better cut out the sea food too.

"...I wouldn't eat a grouper any more than I would eat a cocker spaniel....." -- Dr Sylvia Earl from video
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    This is totally meant to sound not snarky, cuz I agree animals are treated horribly when they go to slaughter. But I was wanting to know if you're vegan.

After reading an article by Peter Singer called "All Animals Are Equal" I decided to become a vegetarian. However, after watching this video and thinking about it some more, I've decided to become a vegan. Of course, I'll have to do research to find out what products other than food are made from animals, but I do intend to make the transition.

p.s. you didn't sound snarky haha
  • cmadden89
    Options
    My family owns a goat-meat farm. All of our goats are well taken care of. They have clean envronments, room to play, babies are well taken care of. Every goat is wormed, have their hooves trimmed... In the winter they have a heated barn.. in the summer there are fans available to keep them cool and the flies off of them.

My favorite thing to do is bottle feed the babies!

We take pride in how well our goats are kept and are treated.

No animal should ever have that experience.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but the first frame of the video is a dead fish. So you better cut out the sea food too.

"...I wouldn't eat a grouper any more than I would eat a cocker spaniel....." -- Dr Sylvia Earl from video

Nope, don't have to cut out seafood because the seafood I eat we catch ourselves, out of the wide blue ocean.....we NEVER purchase seafood from a grocery...
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would try to watch it if I was at home, but I am at work so I can only imagine.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Pretty gruesome. Made me a little sick to my stomach. As sad as it is, the reality is that I will not be giving up eating meat, fish or dairy products.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Buy humanely raised meat, eggs, dairy. In the midst of PETA sensationalism, there continues to be an abundance of ethical family farmers who care about their herd, crop, and product. I hate to see this propaganda demonizing an entire food source. If you're going to avoid meat, fine, but understand it does fill a need in many of our diets.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I love meat and was raised on it but i also agree this is not the way our animals where suppose to be treated. I don't see how these people who work at these kinds of places can do that to those animals and sleep at night!!!!!!!
  • Julesaf
    Julesaf Posts: 36
    Options
    I eat meat every day and will never stop. I love animals, just not enough to stop eating them. I buy free range when I can, but that doesn't always happen. The sadness of the video won't change how much I love meat.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    Pretty gruesome. Made me a little sick to my stomach. As sad as it is, the reality is that I will not be giving up eating meat, fish or dairy products.
    Same here. Meat and potatoes kinda gal here. Couldn't quit eating meat, even if I were paid.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Thanks for posting this however I cannot watch it. I feel that I can opt out of watching it since I don't eat animal products. I hope others see this and think twice before they eat their next meal.