*NOT FOR WEAK STOMACHS OR HEARTS*

Options

Replies

• groucherella
    Options
    Buy humanely raised meat, eggs, dairy. In the midst of PETA sensationalism, there continues to be an abundance of ethical family farmers who care about their herd, crop, and product. I hate to see this propaganda demonizing an entire food source. If you're going to avoid meat, fine, but understand it does fill a need in many of our diets.

Well put.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that people have such a problem with the living quarters... how is that different than living in a big city. you're all crowded, packed on top of each other, living in filth and dirt. How is that different?

"Chickens and turkeys are forced to eat so much that they can hardly walk" - Sounds like most Americans on here.

Seems like people need to worry about people before animals.

Also, I'd like to know when most of these videos were taken. A lot has changed in recent years.

Another good point to make, is a LOT of people who raise meat, have a lot of love and respect for their animals. Yes, there are some bad apples out there, but aren't there in any group?
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just watched this and I probably will think twice about eating my lamb tonight but I don’t really think this is the right place for this sort of post, there are allot of people on this site trying to get healthy for themselves and their families and its hard enough without having to feel guilty at the same time. Whilst I would agree with you that people should be aware of the source of their food, I cant help but feel this would be better suited to somewhere like facebook.
  • ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    Options
    Pretty gruesome. Made me a little sick to my stomach. As sad as it is, the reality is that I will not be giving up eating meat, fish or dairy products.

Agreed. Maybe Peta needs to come up with a humain way to get meat on our dinner tables.
  • groucherella
    Options
    Pretty gruesome. Made me a little sick to my stomach. As sad as it is, the reality is that I will not be giving up eating meat, fish or dairy products.

Agreed. Maybe Peta needs to come up with a humain way to get meat on our dinner tables.

I agree but I'm not sure PETA includes this as a goal since they dontate to such affiliations as American Earth Liberation and Animal Liberation Fronts. When I worked at a vet's office they would flood our mailbox with anti-veterinary propaganda and don't even get me started on how they crusaded against shelters when I was an animal control officer. They really are extreme and radical.
  • calthine
    calthine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We actually hunt out own meat when possible. You're a bit more thankful when you've butchered it yourself.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I will still eat meat, chicken & fish.
    That is how it will always be regardless of any video I could watch.
    Probably 90% of the meat I eat, I kill and butcher myself.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I cannot bear to watch it, I can only imagine......I rarely eat meat, I mostly only eat seafood, and have thought about cutting meat completely out of my diet just because of things like this. I know there are more humane ways for us to have meat, I just don't understand the cruel nature of people....but, it is all about the money, not the treatment of the animals, and it makes me sick.....

I hate to break it to you, but the first frame of the video is a dead fish. So you better cut out the sea food too.

"...I wouldn't eat a grouper any more than I would eat a cocker spaniel....." -- Dr Sylvia Earl from video

Nope, don't have to cut out seafood because the seafood I eat we catch ourselves, out of the wide blue ocean.....we NEVER purchase seafood from a grocery...

That's awesome, I;m jealous - I'm land locked. I grew up on the sea and cannot stand the fish we get here anyway. I can taste that it's not fresh (like from the sea into the frying pan).

I was just posting that quote/comment because the stance in that video is one of extremists. You can't eat fish either, because they are intelligent.
    Also, when you catch a fish, it will stress it's little heart out when it drowns in the net or is dragged up onto dry land. That's also why you have to bleed some types of fish, because their stress response will bleed into the meat, making it bitter, so other animals don't like the taste of them.

They are really against all things animals - and just use those images to bolster their point.
    Who knows where the images come from, perhaps they are from 20 years ago? Or maybe somewhere in China or Siberia ... who knows.

It's kind of like taking photos of the 10 or so fatal car crashes that happened recently and then saying we should never drive by using only those images - forget about the 1000000's of drivers who never actually even have a car crash, let alone a fatality.
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just another good reason to be Vegetarian!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way - every dead form of life is used (consumed) by something. The circle of life (as we know it) is a harsh mistress...

You die, you're buried in the dirt and consumed by organisms. You could also be killed and eaten by a predator, then eventually returned to the dirt as waste. We're not often hunted and killed by predators in modern society, but in times long ago, this was certainly the case. Hunt or be hunted. Yep.

If you're a domesticated farm animal (raised humanely) you live in a pasture, you eat from the earth, you eventually die. In the vegetarian world, you'd be returned to the dirt and would provide sustenence for a host of organisms and worms. In the realistic world, you're consumed by higher life forms. Why waste that animal when it can provide food for many?

Factory farms are enabling the consumption of meat at a reasonable cost by the masses in a heavily populated world. We took some of this upon ourselves by "evolving" from a highly agarian society to an industrial one - centralizing farms and driving many smaller farms out of business. I don't agree with this, but I certainly see how this has come to be in a free market society. I suppose I'm lucky to have the monetary ability to purchase humanely raised meat.

Is there a better way for our society to reduce or avoid factory farms? Well, not to sound awful, but we'd have to reduce the size of society as we know it and return to more localized agriculture. We could also redesign large scale farming to better account for animal welfare - if you know anything about Temple Grandin and the way she revolutionized the science of "slaughter" - you'd know this has been put into practice in many places.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Same here.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This isn't ment to bash anyone, but this is the truth about meat.org- it's a PETA propaganda site. "So what?" You might say. The videos on the site seem to be solid empirical evidence about the US meat industry. Much of the videos were shot in other countries such as Spain and Moldova less regulated than the US. PETA's main objective is to eliminate captive animals all together. This includes cows, chickens, cats and dogs. Without domesticated animals we would not have the technology today that lead to insulin, antivenin, and many antibiotics that treat serious medical conditions for people and their beloved animals.

Back to the video, it's against the law in the US to slaughter sick, dead and downer animals for human consumption. Downer animals must be killed and sent to a render plant (for other uses). They are not allowed to taint the healthy meat during slaughter. In a big slaughter house in Nebraska and other US locations, cows are humanely killed via a bolt gun to the head. The death is instantaneous, much like being shot in the head.

PETA loves to show videos from other countries and then pay celebrities to talk how bad it is to support this practice by eating meat. In 2009 PETA received over 2,000 relinquished pets and strays. People assumed that PETA of all places would do their bets to find ample homes. PETA only adopted out 8 to other adoption agencies and euthanized all the others. Would you still even believe anything they said after trying to launch the "Sea Kitten" campaign to children? The Sea Kitten campaign created comics and posters to children in elementary schools about how captive goldfish were jealous of regular kittens because they were confined to fish bowls.

As others have stated. buy local meat. Go to the farmer or join a meat co-op CSA and support local free-range meat animals. Go to the county fair and bid on some 4-H kids summer projects at the Jr. Auctions. The money goes to the kid and you get meat raised with love.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    This isn't ment to bash anyone, but this is the truth about meat.org- it's a PETA propaganda site. "So what?" You might say. The videos on the site seem to be solid empirical evidence about the US meat industry. Much of the videos were shot in other countries such as Spain and Moldova less regulated than the US. PETA's main objective is to eliminate captive animals all together. This includes cows, chickens, cats and dogs. Without domesticated animals we would not have the technology today that lead to insulin, antivenin, and many antibiotics that treat serious medical conditions for people and their beloved animals.

Back to the video, it's against the law in the US to slaughter sick, dead and downer animals for human consumption. Downer animals must be killed and sent to a render plant (for other uses). They are not allowed to taint the healthy meat during slaughter. In a big slaughter house in Nebraska and other US locations, cows are humanely killed via a bolt gun to the head. The death is instantaneous, much like being shot in the head.

PETA loves to show videos from other countries and then pay celebrities to talk how bad it is to support this practice by eating meat. In 2009 PETA received over 2,000 relinquished pets and strays. People assumed that PETA of all places would do their bets to find ample homes. PETA only adopted out 8 to other adoption agencies and euthanized all the others. Would you still even believe anything they said after trying to launch the "Sea Kitten" campaign to children? The Sea Kitten campaign created comics and posters to children in elementary schools about how captive goldfish were jealous of regular kittens because they were confined to fish bowls.

As others have stated. buy local meat. Go to the farmer or join a meat co-op CSA and support local free-range meat animals. Go to the county fair and bid on some 4-H kids summer projects at the Jr. Auctions. The money goes to the kid and you get meat raised with love.

+1000 and stated very well.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

Very well said! here, here!
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options

I certainly agree with you that PETA often over exaggerates things and what not. However, factory farms are where the majority of Americans get their meat. If it weren't, they would not have so much pull, would they? Chickens in factory farms in the U.S. are stuffed into coops with no sunlight and injected with antibiotics. Cows in factory farms in the U.S. are forced to stand ankle deep in their own manure. Pigs in factory farms in the U.S. are pushed around with forklifts to their death. Also, American meat packing factories produce tainted meat all the time. And the USDA doesn't even have the power to shut them down for producing tainted meat. Take a look at Kevin's Law.

I'm not asking anyone to be a vegetarian and if I came across that way, I apologize. I would love a world where no animals are killed for food, but I'm not going to preach it, because that is an ethical debate that is difficult to prove either way. However, it is not difficult to debate that animals should at least be treated humanely while they are alive. So I am going to preach that we should buy free-range and grass-fed. It is worth the extra cost and the more people buy this way, the less it will cost. Stores will give us what we demand, so we need to demand the best for the sake of animals and for our own health.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I kind of want to watch it and kind of don't - i've been a vegetarian more times than I can remember, and vegan a couple of times, it's kind of a running joke in my family. I absolutely adore all animals, and if I watch the vid I know i'll cry..and probably turn veggie again! Which isn't a bad thing...it's just hard because everyone is always dead against it and all the complaining gets to me after a while and I give in :( I never understood why people need to have an opinion of what you do/don't eat. They wouldn't kick up a fuss if you said you don't like X or Y would they?

I'm not crazy about meat, and never miss it, it's just convenient. The only part of being a vegan I found nearly impossible was having soya milk in my tea...I need my 5-6 mugs a day of tea with 2% milk and 2 sweeteners :) I work in customer's houses every day and i'd have to have black tea or coffee..bleugh! Funnily enough I prefer soya lattes to dairy lattes though...

I would just buy organic free range meat (I buy free range eggs as a solid rule) but it's sooo expensive!
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    lauz, I know what you mean by getting made fun of or family/friends complaining! I was veggie for a while and got extremely skinny (not due to being veg, but due to restricting calories) so I ate meat when I decided to gain weight. Now that I've decided to do it again and this time be a vegan, most of my family and friends make fun of me or try to argue me out of it. It's very annoying, but it's my life and my body and I'll choose what I put in it. And the same goes for everyone. If you choose to eat meat and even if you choose to eat meat from places like those portrayed in the video, I'm not going to make fun of you or complain. I simply posted this to show people who don't know what goes on and hope that they pay attention to where their meat comes from. Sure if people decide to argue against me, I'll argue back, but if I see someone eating Tyson chicken I'm not going to make fun of them and call them an animal killer or anything, so why do so many people make fun of me and call me a tree hugger when they learn I don't eat meat? LOL.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    the more people buy this way, the less it will cost.

actually this is opposite of one of the most basic economic principles... higher demand equals greater cost. Please see: diamonds.

sorry~
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cool story bro
  • Skinnyme87
    Options
    That is sad. I live in a small farming/ranching state so it is much easier to get fresh meats that have been produced from local ranches ect where animals are not treated badly. There are many local meat shops too. Id chose the fresh free range meet over the store brands. Besides I think mass produced meats taste gross compared to the free range, fresh meats from the local meat lockers.