Anyone else actively training for something?

Options
RoseTears143
RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
Hey ya'll. I'm looking to friend more folks that are actively training for some event (marathon, triathalon, obstacle course run, etc). I'm training up for a Tough Mudder in October so I'm mostly focused on my fitness, weightloss is a secondary goal for me right now. So it would be nice to have more people in my friend list focused on fitness as a primary goal.

Replies

• learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pick me! I'm aiming for my first marathon in October.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yeah... i just did my first tough mudder of the season three weeks ago, and have a few more mud runs planned. also have four triathlons planned, and might sneak in another one. i also have a half marathon next weekend.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Hopefully my first triathlon in Sept, but definitely for a 5 and 10 k before then!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Um, sort of. I am very very large, and part of the problem was I wasn't training for anything. Always been super active and love triathlon and cycling. I signed up for a bunch of stuff later in the year, but I don't think my weight is going to let me safely train for distance running, so I won't be doing any triathlons or long runs. I am doing 3 months of base training, then going right into increasing cycling mileage. This year I just want to focus on completing things healthy/injury free and I will use the training to focus my goals. This year so far I have these events on my calendar.

-50 mile fun bike in June (Bike NY Hudson Valley)
    -1.5 mile swim in July (Steelman)
    -150 mile 2 day ride in Aug (Bike MS Great Main Getaway)
    -64 mile ride in Sept (Seagull Century)
    -10k in Oct. (Marine Corps 10k)

I am looking to loose 100 lbs and it will take as long as it takes. I not aggressively training, just looking to be better this year, but have to put in serious time for most of those events. Feel free to add me, I am doing pretty good but I've only been at it 6 weeks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just completed a TM. In the books for the near future are a half M and a sprint tri and a few 5/10k 's. Week long bike rides.
    But I train for everyday stuff - climbing, hiking and taking the garbage out at 90.

Start small. Work on balance and equilibrium, assure your exercise includes stabilization, endurance and strength components.
    Training without injury is a better goal than just "training hard".
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am training for a Marathon in September! I recently set my calories to maintenance because my mileage is getting quite high. It is an adjustment not focusing on weight and focusing on fitness. I like it!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a century ride (100 miles) that is in 10 days

I have a Spartan Race in August that I will switch my focus to after the ride.
  • danrough
    danrough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm always training for something :) Half Marathon next month, a road cycling trip to the French Alps the next, a 210km Audax ride the month after, and a 310 km Audax the month after that.

Mainly though, I'm training to get fitter. Physically, and mentally. One of the things that has interested me recently is the realisation that as I get physically fitter, my mental ability to push my body harder has increased too. More yes I can, rather than no I can't.

By all means add me as a friend. I find seeing other people progress towards a goal motivating for myself too.

Dan.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hey Rose, i was training for something... I think im training for a 50k in September now. I have a relay race the week before that too... Oh wait, Im on your fl already but you can always add me multiple times if youd like.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have 4 strongman comps this year, June 1, June 13, July 14 and one end of September. May need to find one for August. That month seems empty.
  • jammysammy
    jammysammy Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm training for my first marathon in 2 weeks!!! EEEKKK!!!! :) I also have a 2nd marathon in October and am going to focus on speed/track work over the summer before going back to long distance in the fall.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The US National Kettle championships in Aug ! I hope to compete with a 20KG kettle bell and make my CMS ranking - I`m busting my *kitten* at moment training but I doubt my workouts would help many others !! lol
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am. But not anything like you guys. Our city's police dept. is hiring... They won't notify applicants until after the 18th about what's going to be on the written exam but the physical and written exams are on June 14th. Figured I better start training for the physical part early :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have a metric century scheduled for the end of May and a smattering of shorter "fun" rides throughout the summer. I have a triathlon slated for early September but I'll have to see how thing go when i start running and training for that in June...I tend to have major issues with posterior tibial tendonitis which knocked me out of my sprint tri last fall...hoping for better results this year and hoping that 9 months without running has helped heal that tendon up. After my sprint I start cyclocross season.
  • MeganWillet
    MeganWillet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a women's triathlon in July... but I'm mostly working out to lose weight and being in better shape for the Tri is a bonus...
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first sprint triathlon in July! Then a Spartan sprint in August. Then I want to start focusing on strength training instead of cardio to hopefully see better physical results...I suppose I can call that training to look wicked awesome at my wedding next year....
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Training for a 10k at the end of this month! Thinking of training for my first half this year, probably in the fall. Planning on adding weights back to my cardio routine. Feel free to add!
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me :-)

I am currently training for a 70.3 and a short 63 mile sportif in July, the three peaks challenge (with added challenge of cycling the 650 miles between the peaks) in August, a half marathon in September and probably some other stuff which hasn't been decided yet. I also tend to chuck in the odd mud race\Spartan a couple of times a year as a bit of fun\to break out of the routine for a bit.

I have a minor addiction to triathlons, having completed all of the different distances from sprint to Ironman in the last 5 years. My favorite distance is 70.3 so that's what I'm sticking with (I do the odd sprint as a bit of fun, normally because I can convince a friend or two to join in!) :-)

I enjoy the feeling of getting fitter and stronger and relish being surrounded by people who feel the same way about their training as I do (which is; although sometimes it's hard to get out of the door I always love it once I'm out and about).
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have my eye on a half marathon in December that I'm considering signing up for. It would be my first one, and I have until October to decide on it and sign up before the entry fee goes up. I am slowly bumping up my weekly mileage because the farthest I've run so far is just over 4 miles.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner or a biker but I am training for my next strong (wo)man competition August 2nd!