How do you guys motivate yourself to exercise

Options
I have finally decided to lose weight and I want to know how do you motivate yourself to exercise?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I found something I love to do

I love lifting heavy weights so it's not a chore..I look forward to it as stress relief.

I like walking with my husband

I love being on my bike

Find something you love to do and it wont feel like exercise...

That being said you don't need exercise to lose weight...you need a calorie deficet.

Exercise can add to your deficet and is good for health but not necessary for weight loss.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights, but honestly, I only go about half the times I say I intend to unless my sister is also going. Having someone else to hold you accountable REALLY helps.

My husband loves taekwondo, so we do that 3 nights a week too :) He doesn't need any accountability partner, he'd go 5 days a week all by himself if I'd let him.

Like Sezxy said, you do need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but definitely try to work out too. It will keep your body in better shape and when you do lose weight, you'll only look better for it. Very few people regret exercising or lifting weights once they reach their goal weight :)
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love my gym sessions so generally motivation isn't a problem for me.. But on some of those gloomy rainy horrible days (that are oh so typical for London) , when all you want to do is stay in bed I find really helpful leaving my house wearing the gym clothes already. As I train at college it leaves me with no excuses and I have to go.. I'm the master of tricking myself.:D
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I found exercise that I love that has an awesome social community. If I'm not feeling up to going, I just think of all the fun I have by starting the day with my friends.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have a training plan. Mine is 16 weeks, but if you do two weeks at a time, it's easier to stick to. Start small - 10 minutes a day or 30 minutes a day. I do it first thing in the AM so nothing else interrupts my day.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Find a workout that gives you some kind of joy/find a way to bring fun into your workouts. I like walking the dogs because they love it, they keep me going, and I can go further and further along the trails each time. Some people like the running apps like Zombies! Run (something like that?) that has you pretend you're being chased by zombies. There are also other apps for group fitness, like Pact (formerly GymPact) that you pledge money in. For example, I could have a $3 pledge to work out 2X per week. If I don't work out that week, I am out $6. But, if I do work out that week, I get a few dollars from someone else who didn't work out.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a Pinterest board with pics of women in bikinis that I look at when I need motivation.

I think about how much money I've committed to spending for our gym membership and how I don't want that to go to waste.

My 18 year old son is my workout buddy at the gym, so time with him before he flies the coop is important to me.

And finally, I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of quitting smoking. Exercise has become my substitute so if I don't exercise, I have more time to think about the cravings that I still get. I want to stay quit and I want to be in good shape.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I found something I don't hate doing. It makes me look and feel better so I keep doing it.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Find something you enjoying doing that isn't too much of a chore for you.

For instance, I do zumba at home on my xbox 360 (I have tried the videos and such but I find the game is much closer to being in a class which I love but just don't have someone to watch my daughter while I go so this works for me).

My family has chosen to have only one car which my hubby takes to work so if I want to go anywhere I either have to walk, rollerblade, or bike (which I bike of course most of the time). This allows you to get some nice exercise in and you become less lazy.

If you want to do workout videos at home because that works more for you than going to the gym then do them...but try out a few and make them enjoyable. Not easy, but enjoyable. Focus on the feeling. Add your own music in the background if you want.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have always had a tough time with this in the past. I bought an elliptical and stuck it in a central room in my house--the most central as a matter of fact. Guests will have to deal. :) It reminds me daily I need to do something, if not the elliptical then something else. I also have my resistance bands, etc. in that same room. I am making fitness a focal point of my life so why not make it a focal point in my living space? I really had to get past the "who cares if this stuff is all over this room" and embrace it. It's working.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1. Find a type of exercise you love to do
    2. Find good tunes to get you through, if that's your thing
    3. Motivate with the food you'll eat later after you burn those extra calories (this alone gets me through plodding hour+ long runs)

Sometimes the perks of exercise are enough to motivate you: you get an endorphin burst, and as you feel yourself getting stronger, there's more appeal to exercise :)
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I only needed one more credit to graduate, so i took a PE class that was exactly one credit. If I didn't go and exercise then I wouldn't get my degree. LOL
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have a specific goal in mind to accomplish with your workouts.

For me, the concept of "working out is just something you do until you die" never stuck with me, and I hated it. But I set a goal in my mind to complete a triathlon race. So now when I work out, it's to get stronger so that I can meet my goal. It could be a race, maybe a specific weight you get to on a lift or maybe it's a distance you want to ride a bike...just make something your carrot to chase.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I started exercise, it was difficult, I wasn't used to that kind of stuff :) so to motivate me I usually thought about the treat that those calories would have allowed me :)

Now, I started to like moving!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Definitely find something you love to do. But there is also this: Getting started exercising sucks sometimes. BUT, once you've kicked your own butt with some hard core exercise, when you stop you feel great. My motivation is those endorphins. Nothing feels as good as the sense of accomplishment and well-being you get after a good workout. :) I run. I love it, but sometimes I just don't want to do it. On the 'I don't wanna' days, I do it just because I know I'll feel great when I stop. LOL!
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    For me, vanity doesn't work for pooh!

I need to have a performance, event based, dates on the calendar.
    This Saturday I am registered for a 10K with my fiance. When we come home that afternoon, we will be looking for our next 10K, or possible a 15K for cancer run we are already eyeing and then register.

In January, I am registered for the Goofy, that is 13.1 on Saturday, and then 26.2 on Sunday.

In Feb I have a 50K I am registered for, and should I survive, I have a 50 miler I'd like to do in March.

I also play on a softball team Sunday nights.

I am motivated by people, and events.

that is all
    Todd
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I like things where I am constantly able to challenge myself, like running, where I can always up my pace or my distance or my intervals. Makes it fun to see how much more you can do today than the day before.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said here. I've also found that, for me, it is more about discipline than motivation. Motivation comes and goes in waves like most emotions. When I am most successful, however, it is because I've made a decision to do something and then just do it without relying on how I feel about it at the moment.

I still feel it is important to find something you really enjoy and surround yourself in an encouraging environment as much as possible.
  • kayscholl93
    kayscholl93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Things that make me motivated:

-I go onto the web, and look at before and after pics and read weight loss testimonials
    -look at a picture of myself that I hate
    -hang up a small dress that I want to slim into
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Step 1 Take My Shirt Off
    Step 2 Look In the Mirror
    Step 3 Turn Sideways
    Step 4 Shake Head In Disappointment
    Step 5 Go Burn More Calories
    Step 6 *Have An Awesome Playlist (optional)

* May result in more calories burned than originally planned and/or overuse injuries.