Tea Drinkers - How to you make your hot tea?

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    I heat tap water in the microwave, then drop a teabag into it. Done.

same here. Once in a great while I add almond milk to chai tea but usually not. I find sugar or sweetener in my tea to be unnecessary (although I generally DO sweeten my coffee).

same ere, just made a duoble green tea in 2 minutes
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Agave instead of sugar!!!!! I recommend this to everyone. I will never go back to sugar.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member

This!

Sometimes I will make a bunch of tea though, and refrigerate. This is the only time I add anything to it, like steevia, but I do not like it overly sweet :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I drink all kinds of tea - black, green, herbal, whatever - and I don't add anything to any of them. I like them strong, so I just leave the teabag in.

What's wrong with water from the coffee maker? It's just hot water - it's not like it's going through the coffee filter first. And it's a LOT better than microwaved water. That's just gross.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    1. Scald tea pot, when hot, put water in cup to heat cup while making tea
    2 add tea leaves or bag to pot and add hot water
    3 leave steep for 5 min or so with tea cozy on pot to keep tea warm
    4 pour in to cup with a splash of milk.

When I'm making it for OH, put tea bag in mug and add water. Stir and take out tea bag and serve with splash of milk. He doesn't like tea in a cup with tea pot. I love the ceremony of it.

Never out of a paper cup and never with sugar or sweetener!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    boil water in tea pot, pour over teabag and steep. add nothing :)
  • jojoglode
    jojoglode Posts: 12
    I heat my water in the microwave and my green tea bag and a packet of honey, so yummy1
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    I boil water, put it in a mug and add the teabag. Let it stand until it has the color I like. If I feel fancy or have a sore throat I'll add some honey, otherwise I just drink it as is :)
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Years ago, I was a coffee lover...light and sweet (1/2c CREAM and 3 huge teaspoons of sugar)...then the dentist got onto me...I cut out the sugar SLOWLY. A few years ago, a friend whose mother died of uterine cancer talked to me about the health benefits of herbal tea...so I started drinking it. Prior to this, I thought of tea as a southern drink (Sweet tea y'all) and warm tea for something you drink when you are sick. At first I had to have my tea sweet, so I used raw honey...but a few months ago I started counting calories...OUCH! That honey adds up! So now I drink flavored teas (currently I'm in LOVE with Wild Chaild from Good Earth).

I put the tea in a cup, add water and microwave it for 2 minutes.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Kettle on > tea bag in mug > sweetener in mug if desired (I use one packet steviaraw) > once kettle water at boil, pour into mug > press tea bag against side of mug with spoon until desired colour (should never take more than 30 sec) > remove tea bag (never let black tea sit as it gets disgustingly bitter) > add milk if desired.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    I get yummy loose leaf teas with different types of flavors and then don't have to add anything to it, saves the calories for food!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I have a tea strainer that is a container with a strainer built in. I use a mixture of dried herbs:
    Mint
    Lemon balm
    Roobios
    Stevia leaf
    Chamomile
    I use a teaspoon of each, except only half a tsp of stevia. ( the herb, which is very concentrated).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I'm a tea collector, so I have a bunch of ways. At home I have a Zarafina (like a coffee maker, only for hot tea) and an electric kettle. I also have a Boddhum tea press and several other pots of various sizes. At work I keep a small 2-cup microwavable ceramic pot which has it's own strainer insert. That way I don't have to get up as often. I also have a few types of tea balls of varying sizes. I only drink loose leaf teas, but I do have some empty tea bags that I can stuff with loose leaf tea and give my coworkers who aren't used to real tea.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    The only tea I will drink. I just add a little sugar.
    twining.jpg
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    I have loose leaf tea, usually matcha in the morning which I blend with a bamboo whisk. I sometimes make a matcha latte, with a tsp of sugar and whisked milk (no water in the lattes).

I also love black tea (earl grey especially!!). But for regular tea, I almost never add milk and sugar. The thought turns my stomach, milky water = yuck factor.

Once you go loose leaf tea, you'll never want to go back to bagged! I go to Teavana in the US and David's Tea in Canada.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    I have a Keurig so I usually put my tea bag in my cup then run hot water through the Keurig, let it steep, and it's done. Depending on what kind I drink I usually drink it plain. All depends on the flavor of tea.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I have a massive selection of different loose leaf teas which I make at home with a fancy-schmanzy Breville tea maker. I drink it all day.

Hot tea doesn't travel too well in my experience. It just doesn't taste right, so it's easier to make it when you get to where you're going if you can IMO. It's easier to go for the hot water, dunking teabag method at the office.

I like tea fairly weak so I reuse tea bags several times, and the Breville tea maker can make several batches with the same leaves with minimal change in flavor, which helps to cut down on total caffeine consumption.

And Tea Gschwender has the most amazing teas I've ever found. You can get them online.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    At home, I just boil water and pour it over a tea bag in a mug. At work, we have a water machine that dispenses REALLY hot water, so I use that. Always just one tea bag, and I only use Equal or Splenda. I don't add milk or cream.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Sure. Why not?

Sounds good!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member

Same. And i sweeten with honey.