Replies

• ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    heh heh heh
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    19-22%. I'm at 22% right now and am working on lowering it further to be happier with how I look.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    <---- Guessing ~10%
    Would like to stay about where I'm at but get stronger, gain some muscle.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I figure I have about 2 - 3 more months, but I hope to get to a little bit lower BF % than what I am now...

Whatever BF% I am at now, I have no idea, but a little less would be good
  • Kathrynrbg
    Kathrynrbg Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    15%-20%

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I want 15-17% according to this pictures. I choose to see my abs.
  • Kathrynrbg
    Kathrynrbg Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ps. I wanted to show people what 25% body fat looks like on my frame. Just proof that those "body fat by pictures" things are not particularly informative.

r2tcvoMl.jpg

thanks so much how did you measured your bf%?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ps. I wanted to show people what 25% body fat looks like on my frame. Just proof that those "body fat by pictures" things are not particularly informative.

r2tcvoMl.jpg

Yeah, wow. I would have guessed that was much closer to 20-22% rather than 25%. I feel better about my 22-25% goal, though maybe it will be more like 25-27%. Thanks for sharing.

I would ask where that 25% comes from first...

No kidding.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually sure. I started out in the high 40s, and I've been up there (or higher) since I was a kid. It's really hard to picture myself being smaller, so it's just difficult. I'm hoping I'll know when I get there. Right now, a good guess is 25%. I like eating food, and I like being strong. I don't ever see myself having enough discipline to ever get low enough to do cut and bulk cycles. I wouldn't mind doing a bulk though, eating that many calories would be awesome!

So, basically, I want to find a happy medium where I can do a reasonable amount of activity and be eating a reasonable amount of food (as a maintenance level). And then hopefully I will keep lifting and slowly recomping once I get there. Right now, I'm 36% (based on two online calculators that are completely different from one another; went with the higher one because I know I'm not already 25%), and I just don't know what I'll think about my body as I get lower.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options

r2tcvoMl.jpg

Yeah, wow. I would have guessed that was much closer to 20-22% rather than 25%. I feel better about my 22-25% goal, though maybe it will be more like 25-27%. Thanks for sharing.

No kidding.

Multiple repeat bod pod (I've also had caliper & water displacement tests done but I find the bod pod to be the least invasive). Never had a Dexa Scan done but because the objectives in my sport are speed & strength not aesthetic... it's not particularly important that I have 100% accuracy so much as consistency so that I can track changes over time. Just FYI, I have an agreement with a local exercise science lab (they use me as a guinea pig in return for free assessments... I can't afford them at the market rate!).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

r2tcvoMl.jpg

No kidding.

Multiple repeat bod pod (I've also had caliper & water displacement tests done but I find the bod pod to be the least invasive). Never had a Dexa Scan done but because the objectives in my sport are speed & strength not aesthetic... it's not particularly important that I have 100% accuracy so much as consistency so that I can track changes over time. Just FYI, I have an agreement with a local exercise science lab (they use me as a guinea pig in return for free assessments... I can't afford them at the market rate!).

Based on what I have read calipers are highly inaccurate...and the others have margin of errors...due to hydration, air in lungs etc...I have a hard time beleiving you are 25% BF...that's all...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

r2tcvoMl.jpg

No kidding.

Based on what I have read calipers are highly inaccurate...and the others have margin of errors...due to hydration, air in lungs etc...I have a hard time beleiving you are 25% BF...that's all...

I wonder if there is some skew due to height (she's very tall at 6'2") due to the nature of the volume (cube) versus surface area (square). Perhaps if you take the same percentage, but stretch it over a larger frame, it looks like less. Not sure if the physics there are correct, but I thought it may be a factor.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Well that's very nice of you to say... I'm just telling you what the data is telling me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

r2tcvoMl.jpg

No kidding.

That's what you chose to pick out of her statement? She said she's had multiple bod pod tests, and fwiw, that's the standard way it's measured in the Air Force. Maybe if she just had one test and that's what it said, it would be plausible to say that it was inaccurate, but she said she's had it tested many times.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Around 10%
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    That's what you chose to pick out of her statement? She said she's had multiple bod pod tests, and fwiw, that's the standard way it's measured in the Air Force. Maybe if she just had one test and that's what it said, it would be plausible to say that it was inaccurate, but she said she's had it tested many times.

Yup that's what I chose...why? because she doesn't look like she is 25% BF she looks much lower considering how slim she is.

I think she looks great...

FYI I am ex military so just because they use it doesn't give it much credence in my book.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i think iam 30 % however i want to be 20%
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Anyone that's better at math/physics than me jump in about the math issue -- would taller people look slimmer with the same bf percentage of someone significantly smaller?

I think so since we're talking about 3-d objects (as 2-d objects, the relationship would be linear).
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Anyone that's better at math/physics than me jump in about the math issue -- would taller people look slimmer with the same bf percentage of someone significantly smaller?

I think so since we're talking about 3-d objects (as 2-d objects, the relationship would be linear).

that is quite possible...logically it makes sense...just like Staci (yes that one) who looks slimmer at 142 than she did at 131...all in perception of what you are looking at.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

that is quite possible...logically it makes sense...just like Staci (yes that one) who looks slimmer at 142 than she did at 131...all in perception of what you are looking at.

If we're talking nerdfitness Staci, I thought that was due to better body comp -- as she put on a lot more muscle at 142 rather than 131. I didn't know about her body fat -- did that stay the same or reduce?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

If we're talking nerdfitness Staci, I thought that was due to better body comp -- as she put on a lot more muscle at 142 rather than 131. I didn't know about her body fat -- did that stay the same or reduce?

Yes that STaci..not sure of her BF% just giving an example of perception and how it can be skewed based on what you are "used to"