is black coffee considered water?

Options

Replies

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    On weekdays when I work out and know I will be breaking a sweat I drink minimum of 2 liters of water a day, just clear water. Sometimes more. On the weekend when I dont workout and just lounge around the house and what not I count my coffee and still aim for 2 liters of water a day. If it goes in a cup and you drink it then it counts as water. If others want to count food as water then that is possible too. Watermelon for example is mostly water. Hence why on a hot summer day its refreshing. At least to me it is. :happy:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count it as water. But my coffee doesn't have any calories, so I don't log it anyway. I do log the creamer I use though. I only log water as water.

Coffee has calories, just like everything else does. It may be negligible to you, but someone who drinks a lot of coffee, well, it could add up quickly.

Tell me, how many calories does black coffee have? How quickly will those black coffee calories add up?

4 calories per 8 ounce cup. But I'm sure you could have looked it up faster than I told you.

It adds up as quickly as my morning is slow.

So a person with a 500 calorie deficit would have to drink 125 eight ounce cups before blowing their deficit. Good to know.

Right.

I never said drinking too much coffee would blow your deficit. I said it adds up. The amount of coffee I drink after a night of not being able to sleep equates to what I consider to be significant calories. But then, I log 27 calories of broccoli whenever I eat that too. "Negligible calories" is not the same for everyone.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would say no. The reason we are encouraged to drink 8 glasses of water a day is to make sure that we are hydrated. Caffeinated coffee actually does the opposite - it dehydrates you, so I don't think it counts, sorry!

No, it does not.

Caffeine is a diuretic. So if you take caffeine pills, you dehydrate faster if you're not habituated. Caffeine, imbibed with fluid, does not really dehydrate you - it comes with its own fluid, conveniently.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/caffeine-alert

I don't log my coffee or tea. But I don't sweeten them or add creamers or milk.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count it as water. But my coffee doesn't have any calories, so I don't log it anyway. I do log the creamer I use though. I only log water as water.

Coffee has calories, just like everything else does. It may be negligible to you, but someone who drinks a lot of coffee, well, it could add up quickly.

Tell me, how many calories does black coffee have? How quickly will those black coffee calories add up?

4 calories per 8 ounce cup. But I'm sure you could have looked it up faster than I told you.

So a person with a 500 calorie deficit would have to drink 125 eight ounce cups before blowing their deficit. Good to know.

This is definitely why my weight loss has slowed. But maybe that .25 oz of extra urine I'm losing will even it out? I know I burn more than 4 calories with all the extra trips to the bathroom.

Those calories burned going to the bathroom should probably be included in your activity level, right?

Anyway, like I replied to Wendy, I never said it would blow your deficit. I just said that "negligible calories" can add up. I also log things like pickles, lettuce, mustard, and broccoli. What is negligible to you isn't the same for everyone.
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    I only count water that came from the top of Mt. Olympus and was strained through a Greek god's loin cloth.

^^ This

But I only log it if it's either a full moon or a half moon, or if's the final day of the solstice.

LMAO, you are both fantastic! Thank you for the laugh!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My large intestine is too smart. I tried telling it that the cup of coffee I drank wasn't water, that only water is water, but it just laughed at me and absorbed it anyway. I tip my hat to you all that can fool your bodies into only recognizing pure unadulterated water that has absolutely no solubles in it that somehow hinder your body from using it as hydration. Good luck OP, and in the meantime, feel free to log the coffee to track the calories and click the cup at the bottom as you just drank a cup of hydrating liquid.

*edited because nobody should drink coffee from a glass, you'll burn your hands
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    well damn it all ! I just drank a quart of water with Mio squirted in it, and now it turns out that: a) I didn't drink water and b) now I have to log the "<5 calories per serving". :P
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This is definitely why my weight loss has slowed. But maybe that .25 oz of extra urine I'm losing will even it out? I know I burn more than 4 calories with all the extra trips to the bathroom.

*crossing fingers for you*
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My large intestine is too smart. I tried telling it that the cup of coffee I drank wasn't water, that only water is water, but it just laughed at me and absorbed it anyway. I tip my hat to you all that can fool your bodies into only recognizing pure unadulterated water that has absolutely no solubles in it that somehow hinder your body from using it as hydration. Good luck OP, and in the meantime, feel free to log the coffee to track the calories and click the cup at the bottom as you just drank a cup of hydrating liquid.

iced coffee :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    well damn it all ! I just drank a quart of water with Mio squirted in it, and now it turns out that: a) I didn't drink water and b) now I have to log the "<5 calories per serving". :P

I am currently choking on my water - probably the is the Mio I added to it that turned it into something other than water.... I'm glad you mentioned this warning so next time I'll be more careful. :bigsmile:
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

[/quote]

how could I have forgotten the wonderfulness that is iced coffee. now I need one...though I'll have to settle for some creamer laden cup of hot coffee.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

how could I have forgotten the wonderfulness that is iced coffee. now I need one...though I'll have to settle for some creamer laden cup of hot coffee.

Yes, I think I'm going to have to depart work a few minutes early so I can pick some up on the way to my golf game.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Coffee slows down your metabolism. Drinking early in the morning do now help you on your fitness journey.
    Since your body is over 90% water you need water, not including in your drinks. Don't forget that the calories in coffee counts toward your daily intake.

I wouldn't be able to make it to the gym without it, so it definitely helps me on my fitness journey.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a chance to read through all the comments, but I read somewhere that the hydrating effects in coffee or tea outweighs the diuretic quality until about the 3-4 cup. Obviously this would depend on weight and other factors, but you can count it. Search the forum for this same issue and I bet you’ll find the article. Whether or not its true will depend on your personal research.

That being said, as an avid coffee drinker, I do NOT count it personally. My logic is that I don't drink enough water (or fluid for that matter) period. I am literally in a constant state of dehydration. I figure if I am going to get better at this water-drinking game then I need an accurate count of how much actual water I consume. Therefore, I only log pure water on the MFP Water Counter. If I only manage to get in 5 cups of water for the day with 2 cups of coffee, I only log 5 but don’t beat myself up since I understand I really had about 7. I also log the coffee/tea in my calories to keep track of how many general fluids I am drinking.
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. If I add anything to it ie Crystal Light or Mio, it's no longer just water. Even its zero calories, it's still not water to me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I only count water as water. If I add anything to it ie Crystal Light or Mio, it's no longer just water. Even its zero calories, it's still not water to me.

I believe in Crystal Light because I believe in magic! What do you turn the water into? Do you also play "Light as a feather, Stiff as a board"?

tumblr_m72rx3VhEm1qajwcno1_500.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

With a fat straw! :drinker:
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I only count water that came from the top of Mt. Olympus and was strained through a Greek god's loin cloth.

:laugh: