Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options

Replies

• jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories found in some of my favorite fast food items.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    When they advertise something as having "low calories", it can be very high in fat, which offsets the 'benefit' they speak of.

This is not true. High fat is rarely low-cal. I noticed that "fat-free" stuff is chock-full of sugar. I would rather have the fat...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For me it was packaged sandwiches from service stations and even supermarkets. Being on the road all the time and previously too lazy to make a packed lunch, I would buy a couple of packs of sandwiches on the go along with a packet of crisps

485 calories in one pack of BLT alone, not huge but I used to think it was the low calorie option :embarassed:
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nachos. The local Mexican restaurant has nachos, that are layered with cheese, chicken, beef, crab, olives. And the chips! I could eat those alone. Until you realize that the portion had close to 3000 calories. I am not joking. I used to get that as a meal, never completely finish but still! Plus sour cream and salsa..... Hello heart attack! Even now it sucks to go there and try to convince people to share..... I just want one chip!! One!!!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Glazed donuts. 270 calories and they're mostly air. :grumble:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Margarita:love:
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic mixed drinks. They add up fast !

THIS! I live in a fun city that has a lot of great happy hours with delicious cocktails...even if I do go to a weekly happy hour I have only splurged on a fancier drink once.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The Bonefish Grill Macadamia Nut Brownie shocked me. 1348 calories! I convinced everyone at dinner to share it with me, because I desperately wanted a desert that wasn't crème brûlée. (I have celiac disease so on the rare occasion when I can have a desert at a restaurant, it's almost always crème brûlée. If you had told me a few years ago, that I would get sick and tired of creme brule, I never would have believed you!)
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My wee afternoon pick-me-up from my work's canteen, a small slice of Rocky Road - 560 cals! More cals than a Big Mac, mental. My other surprise was portion sizes. I was eating 2-3 portions of pasta in one sitting. It's amazing how little you actually need to fill you.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips.

I used to grab a small handful every time I walked through the break room. When I started logging, those little handfuls added up to like 600 calories a day, and for something I really didn't even like all that much. That stopped right quick.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Poptarts - more than 400 calories for one packet and they don't even fill me up.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Pesto is 330 calories per one fourth cup, and this makes me sad. On the bright side, I found out that eggplant is insanely low in calories. I eat it all of the time.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I am shocked.

That Dijorno pizza I had for lunch was only 1900 calories.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Another one for Cereal. Once I measured out how big a serving is, I was blown away... I've been eating 5-10 servings of cereal!!
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    How many calories I was consuming at breakfast alone! I would have a latte and a bagel or breakfast sandwich and be hungry mere hours later. But at anywhere from 700-900 calories yikes! Also- how many calories were in a burrito I was getting from Moe's and their chips!

Nutella.... not really the calories on this, but more so the amount of carbs and sugar.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Biscuits from Popeye's. I'm not a big fast food person, but I love fried chicken. Popeye's chicken thigh and the biscuit is each about 160 calories. My usual meal of 2 thighs and 2 biscuits were nearly 800 calories.

I'm actually surprised that a 'normal' sized donut is much lower than a muffin. A costco chocolate muffin had nearly 700 calories.

Yikes!!!!
  • tits_mcclure
    Options
    Biscuits from Popeye's. I'm not a big fast food person, but I love fried chicken. Popeye's chicken thigh and the biscuit is each about 160 calories. My usual meal of 2 thighs and 2 biscuits were nearly 800 calories.

I'm actually surprised that a 'normal' sized donut is much lower than a muffin. A costco chocolate muffin had nearly 700 calories.

Yikes!!!!

I hate when I see people grab a muffins because they think it's a healthy option, they're basically cupcakes without the frosting!

I was shocked this week when I saw that 1/4 cup of walnuts is 190 calories...
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Cheese. I was grossly underestimating what an ounce was until I got a scale. Now I get a LOT more cheese :) Yum.
  • Jeslefisch
    Jeslefisch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    processed food is crap. Yeah you can have whatever in moderation but that doesn't make it any better for you. If you don't know half the stuff on the ingredient list how can you possibly defend it? One ingredient foods are better, it's natural to eat them.
  • s4naz
    s4naz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Seeds (I love pumpkin seeds), peanut butter, and muffins!

I didn't realize how SMALL a single serving of peanut butter was. It's barely enough to cover my toast completely :(