What to eat with fish instead of potatoes?

Options
Hi :smile: ,

I have a little problem, I love fish and I really like potatoes but they are incredibly high cal... what can I eat wth fish instead of potatoes? Every tip would be much appreciated!

Thank,
take care :flowerforyou:

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    How are potatoes high in calorie??? They are only 110 calories. I eat potatoes all the time and never had a problem losing weight.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I would say rice and veggies, or sweet potatoe fries for a treat! :bigsmile:
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    Instead of fries, eat a baked poatoe.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies and fruits!
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    when I have fish I always have wild rice and thin green beans, YUM!
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I eat green beans, salad, carrots, pineapple, grapes, etc. The options are pretty varied. I eat salmon usually a couple times a week and rarely have potatoes with it.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A small potato is fine but if you want to steer clear go with a sweet potato, steamed veggies, a salad, brown rice.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I adore tilapia with broccoli and cauliflower, I just use the frozen bagged veggies and do pinches of pepper and some lemon and its yummy. Ive even done cauliflower "mashed potatoes" and that's easy and delicious too.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Rice and veggies. I'm on a spinach kick right now.
    Yummmmmmm
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well when I add two medium cooked potatoes it's almost 300 cals.. which I'd say is a lot and 2 medium potatoes are not so much food in my opinion. I think I'll have to stick with steamed veggies with my fish :)
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try a salad and veggies. We like to eat fish with a cabbage salad and broccoli.

I love to eat fish with rice, but you have to keep the rice portion to 1/2 cup.

Potatoes aren't bad, just don't fry them or douse them in butter and cream.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love boiled new potatoes with fish, like a previous poster this has caused no problems with my weight loss. I find that for me a portion of potatoes is far lower in calories than a portion of rice or pasta. In fact I use potatoes when I don't have many calories left! Let me just say though that I don't eat potatoes very often, once a week maybe, I prefer the complex carbs of wholewheat pasta and brown rice.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I had salmon with cous cous, mushrooms, peppers, onion and garlic yesterday, with a splash of soy sauce. Yum :)
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Potatoes really aren't high in calories (unless you fry them in oil or smother them in butter, of course)--you just need to watch the portion size, as with everything.

I also eat fish with couscous, quinoa or brown rice for the carb serving and always with lots of green veggies or a tomato, onion and avocado salsa or a salad :)
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fish eater but I cook for my boyfriend who loves fish. Current favourite is salmon with lime and coriander rice x
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    Well when I add two medium cooked potatoes it's almost 300 cals.. which I'd say is a lot and 2 medium potatoes are not so much food in my opinion. I think I'll have to stick with steamed veggies with my fish :)

My bag of russet potatoes say its only 110 calories.
  • Adusenka
    Options
    Ok! I think I will try what you suggested and will pick what suits best for me! :smile:

Thank you all for answers and I will possibly have to eat less potatoes when I want them :wink: (and btw I eat only baked or boiled potatoes :) )
  • Adusenka
    Options
    Well, I really don't know, this is what MFP says about boiled potatoes..
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Vegetables - grilled, steamed, or sauteed (with olive oil)
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would check the info on potatoes as my info came off the packet and isn't that high either. I work in grams but hopefully it should give you an idea. Both of these are my portion and fill me up equally:

200g boiled new potatoes (approx 8 small potatoes) = 150 calories
    75g wholewheat pasta (dry weight) = 237 calories

If you want to avoid carbs completely than the ideas for just veggies are great and I've done that before myself. I like my carbs though and as you can see from the above numbers eating potatoes on occasion is a good option for me :)

Good luck with your weight loss journey :)