What to eat with fish instead of potatoes?

Options

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Every few nights when I see that I need a few more carbs to my day I tend to include the following with our dinner:

baked sweet potatoes sprinkled with a bit of cayenne pwdr and sea salt

1/4 c brown or red rice

1/4 c whole wheat couscous

rice pilaf (sautee 1/4 c of each onion, mushroom, celery and thow in a caserole dish, add 3/4 c low sodium chicken broth and 1/4 c water, add 1/2 c brown rice and bake at 350 for 45 minutes) This is for 2 people and only about 160 calories per serving and is really good). We just made this with our salmon for dinner last night!
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I guess the calorie count here isn't right then..

thank you all guys :flowerforyou:
  • jadedbunny28
    Options
    I know what you're trying to say about potatoes. I was suprised at how few calories they contained considering how they always effected my weight. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, however, and am extremely carb-sensitive. My guess is that your body probably reacts in a similar fashion to carbs, which by all means, you should stay away from things like potatoes. However, I know it can get difficult when you're looking for yummy side dishes that are still low in calories and are low in carbs. I think what you're probably looking for is a variation of the typical "salad" or sautee'd canned green beans, no? These are some of my favorites, but for best results they require a grill, or if cooking indoors, at least a grill pan for the stove. Also, while you can grill on just a sheet of tin foil, I find it best to make one of those "tin foil pockets" for better cooking. You can purchase them premade, but I find they're rediculously expensive. Also, I'd like to say that if you are trying to eat a lot of veggies to keep your calories down (and not feel like your stomach is going to eat itself), but are sick of eating plain veggies, you can always see if the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" ZERO CALORIE SPRAY is available in your area. I know in my area, the only place that I can get it is at Super Walmart. Sure, it's not as good as smothering those veggies in butter, but it's darn close-and no calories. I also love it on toast or a bagel, so I can enjoy my 250 calorie bagel and not turn it into a 500 calorie treat that I'm at the gym burning off forever! Anyway, here are some of my recipes-and good luck!

1. Asparagus. --Lay out a sheet of tin foil, and spread out trimmed and cleaned asparagus across it. Drizzle GENTLY with olive oil. Top with FRESH CRACKED sea salt and peppercorns-trust me, this makes ALL the difference. Grill on tin foil.
    2. Zucchini and Squash--Wash zucchini and yellow sqush. Cut off ends, then thickly slice into rounds, cutting the rounds in half. Marinate in a light italian dressing for at least 30 minutes. Using tongs, remove zucchinni and squash from marinade, then grill on the tin foil. (You may want to add salt)
    3. Brussel sprouts--This recipe my boyfriend came up with. It tastes a bit "Chinese-food-like" is the best way I can put it. Clean your brussel sprouts, and place them in a bowl. Add balsamic vinegar (enough to generously cover) and drizzle LIGHTLY with olive oil. Add salt and pepper, and toss to cover. Then bake them until tender.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i love couscous.
    we eat long cooking rice too....the stuff that takes 50+ minutes to cook.
    we tend to eat smashed sweet potatoes with our fish....i add molasses for iron, cinnamon and nutmeg. makes a yummy vitamin packed side.
  • summrrskinny
    Options
    boiled vegetables, if u cant give up on potato then switch to sweet potatoe x
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Make fish tacos.... corn tortillas (fairly low calorie), shredded lettuce or cabbage, a little salsa mixed with a little lowfat sour cream.
  • anykapainyka
    Options
    I would suggest couscous, brown rice, seasoned boiled barley, or gnocchi. These are just a few of the grains that i pair with fish.
  • biglazydog
    biglazydog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am going to the store tomorrow and buying asparagus. Your vegetable ideas are fabulous. Thanks for posting that. I am so sick of celery and carrots can't wait to try the new ideas!!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am on a quinoa kick right now. It is super filling and keeps me full way after the fish has worn off. I serve a white fish with a lemon sauce, quinoa with a little bit of soya sauce, a mixed salad and some steamed broccoli. It is a ton of food, low in calories and keeps us full all night.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    man...now I want some potatoes. lol I read this because we are having fish for dinner tomorrow and I have no idea what to make for the side. :o/
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A smaller portion of potatoes.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Potato salad.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    just eat the potatoes without so much butter
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I like having boiled potatoes. I don't have butter on them though. :)
    I like having salad, peas, green beans, sweet potato, and other vegetables with mine. :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Salad, sauteed greens, steamed or roasted carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus, (almost any veggie, steamed or roasted would be low calorie), pilaf (rice or quinoa), beans,...etc. Anything your little heart desires.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine...I get the fries in the frozen section and bake them. Or a baked potato. Try a side salad, broccoli, rice, collard greens, cabbage.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Make fish tacos.... corn tortillas (fairly low calorie), shredded lettuce or cabbage, a little salsa mixed with a little lowfat sour cream.

Fish tacos are an EXCELLENT idea! I put a little cheese, pico, avocado and cilantro on mine Serve with a side of black beans and vegetable medley of green beans, yellow squash, zucchini and red bell peppers.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know you have gotten many great suggestions and mine is amongs those who already posted but here is some friendly advice. Always remember that the numbers on MFP is often added by any of us. You should always check the ingredients on the exact food your eating and make sure it matches the one you pick on MFP before adding it. I learned this one day when I was trying to add an avacado, I had 3 different numbers and had to look online for the correct one. My other suggestion is, if you love your patato, enjoy it! Baked patato's are at least healthy in moderation. Perhaps enjoy them once or twice a week and have fun with some of the suggestions.
    Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I guess the calorie count here isn't right then..

You should weigh the potatoes to see how many grams the kinds that you consider medium are. The calorie counts I see for medium range from 170 to 260 gs, so you might be thinking of much smaller potatoes. They are only 75 or so calories for 100 gs.

Anyway, I think fish goes great with lentil and asparagus, or really any vegetables. The lentils aren't going to be any lower cal than the potatoes, but you can have a smaller portion along with the vegetables (same with potatoes, which I love--this seems to be potato day on MFP).
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Spinach. I love spinach.