Why does progress come with negativity and mean-ness?

Options
2»

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    everyone has a different style.

find something that fits yours.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I think that's why I'm asking so many questions, because I don't want to start over if I'm just acting like a wuss. So I guess I'm guaging if this is a common thing or what not.

I really don't want to leave the place, but maybe I need to just buck up a bit.

I'm glad to hear that someone else can't do a normal pushup!! OY!!! I know I'm always so buried in what I'm doing when we are doing them, but one of these times I should probably look up and see if anyone else is. Or maybe not.

Just wish there was a magic book or instructional on when you should be doing what or "What to Expect when you are starting a new exercise program" LOL

Here is my take on it. If you are truly uncomfortable, then maybe this isn't the thing for you. You want something that you are going to look forward to doing. However, maybe you need to change the way you think about it.... instead of thinking about how you perceive others are seeing you, how do you feel about the workouts aside from feeling like you are not progressing as fast as the others? Do you like it? Do you like how you feel afterward? Do you feel like you are personally making gains (comparing yourself against yourself, not against others)? If after examining these questions you realize that you really are not happy with this or comfortable, then maybe you should try something else. There are a lot of similar kinds of DVD's you could do at home, or there are tons of other kinds of classes, if you want to look for a more supportive class atmosphere. Maybe that means a different location than that gym, but perhaps there.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Do you need to develop a mean, *kitten*, do it or die attitude to have progress?

the three attitudes listed above are not mutually exclusive. Yes, I do think you need a "do it or die" attitude to truly get tough and push yourself beyond what is comfortable for your body, but that doesn't make someone mean or as *kitten*. So I'm not sure what you're asking by that.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a change... this isn't the first time you complained about what happens there.

I think that's why I'm asking so many questions, because I don't want to start over if I'm just acting like a wuss. So I guess I'm guaging if this is a common thing or what not.

I'm glad to hear that someone else can't do a normal pushup!! OY!!! I know I'm always so buried in what I'm doing when we are doing them, but one of these times I should probably look up and see if anyone else is. Or maybe not.

Just wish there was a magic book or instructional on when you should be doing what or "What to Expect when you are starting a new exercise program" LOL

Oh, don't worry, LOTS of people struggle with normal push ups! Before I sprained my wrist (in an unrelated accident), I was working on both incline push ups and pull ups with the goal of being able to do normal ones in the near future. When I started the incline push ups I was using a bar set at about chest level, now I'm down to a little lower than a coffee table... can't wait to get this sprain behind me and get back to it.

Keep doing your thing, you'll get there. Don't worry about anyone else & use this as a mantra: "Progress is progress no matter how small!" Good luck!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a change... this isn't the first time you complained about what happens there.

I read a quote on Pinterest the other day, something about not comparing your start to someone else's middle, and I think it's quite suitable in your case.

deksgrl also had some really good points about asking yourself whether you enjoy it or dread the whole thing. Exercise should be fun on some level whilst also challenging us in various ways.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Poor things are probably just hungry. But if they don't straighten up, open a can of whoop *kitten* on them anyway.