Weight gain after gallbladder removed...

Options
12346»

Replies

• aurandes
    aurandes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed (roughly 3 months ago) and have been gaining weight (about 3 lbs so far to date plus two lbs prior to surgery) in spite of maintaining the same diet and (after the 4 week recovery period post op) exercise regimen as prior to surgery (prior to deluge of symptoms that necessitated surgery, I'd maintained the same weight for over a decade ever since losing 25 lbs or so in college, so go ahead, tell me I'm not exercising and eating right... I dare ya!).

I found this post while searching ways to reduce weight gain after gallbladder surgery :smile: . And, below is what I've found so far.

First off, your body likely isn't emulsifying fats properly - take ox bile salts with meals. Are you a vegetarian or scared of BSE (mad cow disease)? Supposedly, artichoke extract has been shown to help emulsify fats also - myself, since the dietary supplement industry isn't regulated like the pharmaceutical industry or meat industry, I'm trying artichoke extract. http://www.psoriasisdietplan.com/2015/01/artichoke-bile-flow-support-for-vegans/

I just started taking artichoke extract with every meal yesterday (I was taking artichoke extract when I still had a gb to help thin the bile also, but I didn't realize it could potentially be a substitute for ox bile salts until I started researching the topic earlier this week).

Another note on fat emulsification - lecithin could help also (it's an emulsifier), but if using soy lecithin (or other plant based lecithin), I'd recommend organic or at least researching it to be comfortable with whether or not there is a real risk of concentrated pesticide residue or solvents in non-organic plant based lecithin supplements. Eggs are also high in lecithin (the yolk), and other foods as well, so you could try being sure to eat some high lecithin containing foods at each meal.

Digestive bitters could help. Again, I took digestive bitters when I still had a gb to promote bile secretion from the gb after eating, but since removal, I've been taking actual digestive enzymes and Betaine HCl to help promote stomach acidity and because I felt like I really needed the supplemental enzymes. The enzymes and Betaine HCl weren't doing enough to improve my digestion (which feels very sluggish - if left to my appetite right now, I'd consume less than 1000 calories a day, so I literally have to force myself to eat). Bitters are supposed to help with digestive enzyme production (and, hopefully increase bile secretion). I've reduced the digestive enzyme supplements and will work on eliminating them and replacing with the bitters in the next few weeks.

Second, your body could very well be in starvation mode. To digress, if you're like me, I should have thrown in the towel at least a year ago and had my gb taken out then, but I'd been operating under the assumption that I could manage gall sludge through diet (beets, easy on the fried foods, etc.), supplements (beet root extract, dandelion extract, liver support, every other bile thinning supplement I could find, etc.), and acupuncture. Acupuncture actually provided TREMENDOUS relief for a while (as did the beets, and beet smoothies are wonderfully tasty!), but it didn't stop the sludge from turning into stones, and I've spent the better part of a year battling no appetite and beginning the struggle with weight gain in addition to all of the other wonderful things that come along with a dysfunctional gb and full blown gb attacks. In hindsight, I believe my body's been in starvation mode for quite some time due to insufficient fat processing, and so the journey begins to bring it out of this mode.

So, back to starvation mode - get a good multivitamin (I've been using one for years, but I don't think I'm actually digesting the vitamins (especially the fat soluble ones) correctly right now). Keep/reintroduce fats in your diet (big fan of olive oil myself), but again, be sure to take some sort of emulsifier with the fats. Also, a magnesium supplement (I've been using one for about 6 months now) has helped me tremendously with some of the other side effects of gb removal and gb symptoms prior to removal (Mg lactate or chelated magnesium are my preferences over Mg sulfate (Epsom salts) - less laxative effects with Mg lactate and chelated Mg than with Mg Sulfate).

Third, it could be worthwhile to add a fiber supplement - I like NOW whole psyllium husks (100% psyllium husks). I also love Standard Process whole food fiber, but it's VERY price-y (I get it from my acupuncturist - much, much cheaper than through Amazon). And, Metamucil Fiber Wafers (Wal-Mart has the best price I've found). The fiber is definitely helping with the sluggish digestion but it's too early for me to tell if it has helped stop the weight gain yet (I added consistent daily fiber intake to my diet about a month ago - seriously, consistent DAILY fiber intake).

Finally, it could definitely be worthwhile to get several probiotics. I tend to only use probiotics after being on antibiotics or when I'm on steroids for a spell (the legal kind used for fighting allergy induced asthma)... with the exception of after gb surgery. Somehow, I forgot I was given a high dose of antibiotics before, during, and after the surgery (via IV), and so I have not taken probiotics since surgery.

One probiotic L. gasseri is purported to help with weight loss. S. boulardii is also purported to help with weight loss and is supposed to also help balance gut flora (for instance, help with candida overgrowth). The price of L. gasseri went through the roof when all the weight loss hype (I mean ahem, literature) came out. I have L. gasseri in the cabinet for a different reason (if you're a woman, it's a great supplement for promoting healthy vaginal flora - I'd read several articles characterizing the prevalence of probiotic species in that region of the body, and L. gasseri accounts for a large % in vaginal flora) but haven't been taking it regularly because the price went sky high after the weight loss link. S. boulardii with MOS I've used for both my animals and myself in the past after bouts on antibiotics (again, to fight/prevent candida overgrowth in the gut) but have never really considered it a true probiotic (mostly because I was using it for the MOS rather than the S. boulardii). Long story short, I'm probably going to shell out the cash for another bottle of L. gasseri and maybe also buy a bottle of S. boulardii to see if these help at least stop the weight gain.

I wish I could say I've been doing any of these things long enough to report whether or not they've actually been working, but I've only recently incorporated these changes into my routine (again, about 3 months post op, and the Mg supplement and multivitamin are the only things I've been doing for a long time (>3 months) on this list).
  • Faithfullyours
    Faithfullyours Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my Gallbladder removed in March 2014. I lost 30lbs in 2 months prior to my surgery. But by November 2014 I had gained 40lbs back. It’s been a long 3.5 years of blood tests, nutritionists, naturalists, and self-research but here is what I have learned and I HOPE this is helpful to anyone reading:
    Our gallbladders concentrate the bile from our livers to break down fats, cholesterol, and fat soluble vitamins. Once our gallbladders are damaged or removed, we no longer receive concentrated bile, we just get the regular bile produced from our liver. As a result, two important things happen: 1. Our liver becomes stressed which compromises our immune system and digestive system. This is why you will see several changes in your body including skin problems, developed allergies, and digestive issues. 2. The fats and fat soluble vitamins can be eaten but not broken down appropriately sending out bodies into starvation mode. We become vitamin deficient which can lead to longer term health problems including obesity, heart problems, autoimmune diseases, etc. And our bodies end up holding on to fat for dear life….literally.
    What can we do? Mind you, this is 3 years’ worth of research from various medical articles and professionals I’ve seen.
    Diet & Exercise:
    1. Reduce or ELIMINATE your carb and sugar intake. Both times I’ve done this I’ve lost at least 20lbs. No pastas, no breads, no sweets. Stick to starchy veggies (no potatoes but sweet potatoes), quinoa, and the occasional brown rice. Better yet: Go gluten free. This will help your body go into Ketosis and start burning those extra fat stores instead of burning carbs.
    2. Reduce or Eliminate dairy, pork, and other red meats. I say this because I only ate Chicken and fish for 2 years after my gallbladder was taken out and had no cholesterol problems. The minute I started eating cheese, sour cream, steaks, pork, processed meats again…I had high cholesterol which leads to more stones that block ducts and mess up your livers. Also, you will notice glowing skin.
    3. If you do eat meat, any kind of meat, be gentle on your liver (which you REALLY need now) and go organic. No grain fed meats and only wild caught fish. Same with eggs.
    4. Go high protein to stay full and curb your cravings for carbs. I like to refer to myself as a flexitarian paleo. I eat mostly high protein beans and veggies with the occasional chicken or fish.
    5. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day to keep your digestive system moving. I hated always reading this, but it’s true.
    Supplements:
    1. Beta Plus is your friend: It contains Ox bile, organic beet and pancrelipase which is a great combo for breaking down fats and carbs in you meals. Two before every meal should do it. This will allow you to get some of those vitamins you need from food.
    2. In the morning, take an excellent multivitamin with the Beta plus tabs and a high protein breakfast so you can break down all of those vitamins and curb cravings. Make sure the multivitamin has more than the recommended dose of A, E, K, B12, & D3 because your body is in starvation mode. All of these vitamins are where most people without a gallbladder are deficient. I take New Chapter Prenatal with Probiotics.
    3. Take a probiotic. This will aid your digestion and keep your gut balanced relieving a lot of symptoms long term.
    4. Get some Essential Fatty Acids supplements. Especially if you are limiting your meat intake. These will help get your body out of starvation mode as well and also make sure you take the beta plus tabs with these so they are broken down correctly. This was the best thing my naturalist did for me and actually helped me get pregnant. I usually take all of mine with lunch or dinner. I use biotic plus EFA’s.
    5. If your multivitamin doesn’t have a lot of it, get you a magnesium supplement. No gallbladder can cause a deficiency in this as well. You need this for more energy, bone health, to help digest calcium, etc.
    6. Get a Taurine supplement. This will support your liver (IMPORTANT), create acids to break down fats, regulate your blood sugar promoting the use of fat for fuel in your body. And it’s good for inflammation and recovery after workouts. If you eat a lot of animal products this won’t be necessary, however since I am recommending the reduction of animal products….yeah.
    Do all of this for a minimum of 60-90 days to see a difference. I have done this for 65 days and counting and I have managed to lose 23 pounds, clear up my skin, and eliminate my allergy meds. Hope this helps. If you need more explanation…see following article…best one yet: http://mirandajorgenson.com/2014/07/is-your-gallbladder-or-lack-of-stopping-your-weight-loss/
    P.s. If this feels like too much…at the bare minimum: no carbs, Beta Plus Tabs with Ox-bile, Multivitamin, and Taurine for the rest of your life.