How do you measure ice cream?

Options
The serving size of most ice cream is 1/2 a cup, however, I can fit a ton of ice cream in a half a cup measuring cup... How do I measure this???

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The serving size of most ice cream is 1/2 a cup, however, I can fit a ton of ice cream in a half a cup measuring cup... How do I measure this???
    By grams on a food scale
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You weigh it. You should be weighing all foods and only using measuring cups for liquids.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I put a bowl on a digital scale, zero it out, then scoop the ice cream in until how we've many grams it is I want :) . There should be a grams for serving size as well
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I weigh it. The grams per serving vary a lot by brand and flavor.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have, and will most likely never have a food scale. I know they are extremely helpful, I just don't have the time, and am not looking to lose very much more weight (pretty much reached my goal). Is there any other way to measure it?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    You eat the whole thing. Only way to be sure you're being accurate enough. If you don't want a scale and don't want to use measuring cups (which those I can agree are very inaccurate for solids)
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have, and will most likely never have a food scale. I know they are extremely helpful, I just don't have the time, and am not looking to lose very much more weight (pretty much reached my goal). Is there any other way to measure it?

They are not very expensive, easy to use and take hardly any time. I actually find it easier and faster to weigh food than it took to use measuring cups in the past. Plus it uses less dishes. Just because you hit goal doesn't mean you won't need to count calories to keep at goal. Keep a food scale on your counter, put the bowl/plate/cup/etc on it, turn on the scale then put your food on the scale until you get the amount in one serving. It's fast, easy and becomes second nature quickly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

They are not very expensive, easy to use and take hardly any time. I actually find it easier and faster to weigh food than it took to use measuring cups in the past. Plus it uses less dishes. Just because you hit goal doesn't mean you won't need to count calories to keep at goal. Keep a food scale on your counter, put the bowl/plate/cup/etc on it, turn on the scale then put your food on the scale until you get the amount in one serving. It's fast, easy and becomes second nature quickly.

Pretty much. It doesn't take time. You just put the bowl on it and turn it on (mine tares automatically then). Then stop putting ice cream in it when you reach the right amount of grams. Unless I guess pushing a button is too much time for you, although I'm guessing that coming here, writing a post, then reading the answers takes way longer :p
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Divide it up in to individual potions when you buy it. I used to buy ice cream that had 14 servings abs I would divide it in to 7 1 C containers. Close enough at that time. Now, I use a foods scale. FWIW a food scale is faster and easier to use than measuring spoons almost always, unless maybe if you are eating from the cup or spoon. You put your plate/bowl on the scale, turn it on, pour in/on your portion and then eat it.
  • Geoj0
    Geoj0 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You eat the whole thing. Only way to be sure you're being accurate enough. If you don't want a scale and don't want to use measuring cups (which those I can agree are very inaccurate for solids)

This ^^^^^^ well thats my excuse :tongue:
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Scale or buy single servings. Or a pint. But I do what the others mentioned. It's cheap and fast.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale is easier and takes less time than you used to actually write that post outlining why you can't buy and use one.

Get a scale.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 cup of ice cream is "2 golf-ball sized scoops"

My aunt used to say that and we all laughed at her...till we actually took out golf balls, measured out ice cream and then mashed it into a half cup measuring cup...lol.

I guess you could weigh it...but that just sounds annoying. I think the thought of having to weigh my ice cream would make me not eat it at all. ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Oh noes, you might have to post one less community-poll question on the boards per day.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    A 1/2 cup of ice cream is "2 golf-ball sized scoops"

My aunt used to say that and we all laughed at her...till we actually took out golf balls, measured out ice cream and then mashed it into a half cup measuring cup...lol.

I guess you could weigh it...but that just sounds annoying. I think the thought of having to weigh my ice cream would make me not eat it at all. ;)

Except ice creams with chunks or things or just different consistencies, eye balling is not ever exact science.

Is putting it on a scale any more annoying than waiting for it to thaw a bit and mash it into measuring cups? Replace measuring cup with scale. Done.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    By grams on a food scale

Yep yep!
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The ice cream in my fridge at present does not give the serving size in grams. Only half cup or 125 ml
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    The ice cream in my fridge at present does not give the serving size in grams. Only half cup or 125 ml

By the nutrition facts after serving size 1/2 cup does it not say the grams in parenthesis?
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you just eat the whole container, you don't have to measure.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It's like $15 and it takes maybe an extra minute if that.

It's not time consuming and the extra minute makes the difference in accuracy.