How do you measure ice cream?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The ice cream in my fridge at present does not give the serving size in grams. Only half cup or 125 ml

By the nutrition facts after serving size 1/2 cup does it not say the grams in parenthesis?

They don't all do it. For some reason they think ml is appropriate for a solid food.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    by the bucket
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Half a container or whole container

Whole containers are usually accompanied by half s bottle of wine or a full bottle of wine. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The ice cream in my fridge at present does not give the serving size in grams. Only half cup or 125 ml

By the nutrition facts after serving size 1/2 cup does it not say the grams in parenthesis?

They don't all do it. For some reason they think ml is appropriate for a solid food.

It's rare that there is absolutely no info on calories per weight (and I don't mean just on the actual container, but online).

Did you look online to see if the company might have it on the website?
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    You don't, you just eat it:)
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I measure mine out on my food scale. When I hit 'tare' I make sure I have the spoon in the bowl so that I can lick the spoon after I scoop the ice cream. :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I measure mine out on my food scale. When I hit 'tare' I make sure I have the spoon in the bowl so that I can lick the spoon after I scoop the ice cream. :laugh:

When I'm lazy, I'll weigh the whole thing then weigh it again after I've had my fill (which requires willpower for sure not to eat it all :laugh:). Just find the difference and voila.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh it on the food scale
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

When I'm lazy, I'll weigh the whole thing then weigh it again after I've had my fill (which requires willpower for sure not to eat it all :laugh:). Just find the difference and voila.

x2 since I am the only one who better be eating my ice cream...:angry: and yes will power comes in ...wow...
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    measuring cups are meant to be leveled off for basic accuracy. You got your half cup. If ice cream is sticking out beyond the bowl part of the cup it is too much. Mash the ice cream down until you get a hockey puck of ice cream. call that half a cup.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm still baffled by the amount of people who think it's more time-consuming and harder to weigh their food as opposed to using measuring cups. I just don't get it. I'm not trying to sound rude, either. Not having to wash extra dishes is enough to convince me that a food scale is the way to go.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I'm still baffled by the amount of people who think it's more time-consuming and harder to weigh their food as opposed to using measuring cups. I just don't get it. I'm not trying to sound rude, either. Not having to wash extra dishes is enough to convince me that a food scale is the way to go.

Wow. I never thought of that angle before. Great point!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    measuring cups are meant to be leveled off for basic accuracy. You got your half cup. If ice cream is sticking out beyond the bowl part of the cup it is too much. Mash the ice cream down until you get a hockey puck of ice cream. call that half a cup.

Yes but depending how hard you mash it in the amount will vary.

Anyway this sounds more time consuming than just putting bowl on scale, tare the scale, put ice cream in bowl, get the weight, eat ice cream out of bowl.
    Too easy!

Buy food scale next time you are at super market - less than $20 here.
    Too easy!

or buy ice cream in those small single serve containers and just record full amount.
    That would be easy too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on here that 1/2 cup of ice cream is about 90 grams. I can understand weighing it in milllitres when poured into the container at the factory, but 1 mL of ice cream /= 1 mL of water. Maybe I should petition the Canadian government to add grams to their semi-solid foods nutritional labels.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is to make ice cream soup (melt ice cream in microwave), then pour it into 1/2 cup scoop or weigh on scale in mL.

I tend to eat pre-packaged, single servings of ice cream.
  • slowlyfadingxx
    Options
    I usually just weigh it
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

+1
    because weighing it is MUCH more accurate. Measuring solids is extremely inaccurate. Place bowl on scale. Tare scale. Place ice cream in bowl. Ice cream is now weighed. Calorie count is now accurate.

Done.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    by the mouthful; which is usually 82 grams
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing or I cut from the ice-cream brick; mark half, quarters and finally chop off what I need (not want).
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :noway: Think about how much is left around the inside of the cup!!!
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing or I cut from the ice-cream brick; mark half, quarters and finally chop off what I need (not want).
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :noway: Think about how much is left around the inside of the cup!!!

Another great argument for using a food scale ????