Is it possible to healthily lose 67 pounds in 4-5 months?

Options
124»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all these naysayers. I think it is possible depending on what you're willing to do. People who have done the Insanity workout, for example, have lost 40-50 pounds within two months, and they had to be eating a significant number of calories per day to fuel those workouts.

So you believe that a woman can go from 180 to 120 in 4 months? Did you read the OP? She isn't 300 going for 240........there is a huge difference in these two worlds. OP, if you are still around, please don't try this, you will only end disappointed. You probably can lose 30-35 pounds in that time though, and that would be awesome!!! People need to think about their advice.

I don't get why you would assume I didn't read the OP. And I don't think anyone has the right to tell her she can't do it. A friend of mine went from 215 to 145 in 4 months doing a mix of P90X, Insanity, and Asylum - no, it's not 180 to 120, but it's pretty close.

And the flip side of the difference between going from 300 to 240 and 180 to 120 - a 180 pound person will be much more able to undertake intense exercise and burn off the calories than the 300 pound person.

Because this is an 18 year old young lady who want to lose 1/3 of her body weight beginning from a BMI of 32. That's almost 4 pounds per week. That is a tall order for someone who is morbidly obese. This young lady isn't morbidly obese. Now, she want to lose down to a BMI of 21, I'm sorry, I don't think encouraging her to try something that is all but impossible and absolutely unhealthy, is a good idea! Furthermore, the anecdotal " I know someone who did it" is, quite frankly, hard to believe. Again, people need to think before they advise. I'm betting you would not encourage your daughter to try this.

First of all, I'm not nearly old enough to have a daughter that age. And anything that anyone says on a forum is "hard to believe," considering that we are all strangers and we could all be lying for all anyone knows.

Yes it is possible that anyone on a forum is lying - but it is a lot easier to believe posters who have many posts, long histories, trackable tickers, photos, open diaries etc " street cred" if you like - of course they could have set up elaborate ruses to peddle falsities but it seems rather unlikely.

Interesting that most of the posters advising against OP 's plan seem to have such credentials, don't you think.
    Perhaps they do know what they are talking about after all.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that the woman the OP is referencing won't lose nearly 70 lbs in 4-5 months.

I think it should be noted that a separate conversation evolved amongst some of us about fast vs slow weight loss that had nothing to do with expecting, or encouraging, the 18 year old to lose that much weight.

She's not going to do it. Possible as it is, it's highly improbable.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP had an actual nutritionist, perhaps a doctor or two that could chime in on these. There are so many people just spouting myths and misinformation it's ridiculous. I personally lost 42 pounds in 8 weeks undergoing a doctor recommended and supervised diet. The whole thing was tailored for me by a nutritionist that I saw every other week. Was it unhealthy? Well my blood pressure, cholesterol, and fasting blood sugar went from being on the high side to normal levels. I not only had lots of energy, I never felt better in my life. There was nothing unhealthy about it. And no, I didn't turn right around and put the weight back on either. Admittedly I had a lot of weight to lose, much more than the op, but my point is losing more than a pound or 2 in a week is not necessarily unhealthy. Everyone spouting how unhealthy it is to lose more than a pound of week is just regurgitating misinformation. There are so many people here that think they are experts on weight loss and nutrition and the truth is they just have opinions, at best.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP had an actual nutritionist, perhaps a doctor or two that could chime in on these. There are so many people just spouting myths and misinformation it's ridiculous. I personally lost 42 pounds in 8 weeks undergoing a doctor recommended and supervised diet. The whole thing was tailored for me by a nutritionist that I saw every other week. Was it unhealthy? Well my blood pressure, cholesterol, and fasting blood sugar went from being on the high side to normal levels. I not only had lots of energy, I never felt better in my life. There was nothing unhealthy about it. And no, I didn't turn right around and put the weight back on either. Admittedly I had a lot of weight to lose, much more than the op, but my point is losing more than a pound or 2 in a week is not necessarily unhealthy. Everyone spouting how unhealthy it is to lose more than a pound of week is just regurgitating misinformation. There are so many people here that think they are experts on weight loss and nutrition and the truth is they just have opinions, at best.

What was your starting weight?

ETA, I see where you said you had a lot more to lose than the OP. So again, your anecdotal evidence doesn't apply to the OP who is 18 yeas old and is starting from a bmi of 32. I can guarantee a doctor would advise the OP against trying this. One more time, think before you advise.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Also, unlike rm33064, the OP isn't planning on doing this under a doctor and nutritionists supervision.

If OP was a much larger weight to start with and was doing this under health professional's advice and supervision, responses would be quite different.
    Not the same scenario at all.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Simple math:

OP wants to lose 67lbs in 5 months. That's approximately 22 weeks. 67/22 = 3.0454 pounds per week on-average.

If we assume that it takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, this is a total deficit of 10,659 calories per week. That's a 1,522 calorie deficit PER DAY, on-average, that's required.

At her current weight of 182 lbs the OP has a BMR of roughly 1,650 depending on which method you use for calculation. Even with the burn from normal activity and even if you add daily intense exercise, a deficit of 1,522 calories is nearly impossible to manage, just from a calorie standpoint alone. Once we look at the minimum nutritional requirements she needs, trying to get that essential nutrition with that kind of deficit - it's even more difficult. Not to mention that the BMR continues to drop as OP loses weight, making it further ridiculous to even suggest this kind of loss.

Anyone who thinks a 5'3" young lady can manage to average a deficit of 1,512 calories a day for 5 months - and do it healthily - is kidding themselves.
    VLCD are recommended by bariatric physicians in the case of morbidly obese individuals for 4 to 16 weeks, yes. This young lady wants to diet for 22 weeks. She also, at 18yrs old and only 182lbs simply doesn't fit the criteria we'd normally use to recommend a VLCD. (Normal inclusion criteria is BMI > 40)

Many patients her height and over 300 lbs will lose, on-average, 3 to 5lbs a week on a VLCD - that's true. But at her current weight it's neither likely nor recommended.
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The fast metabolism diet says you can lose up to 20 pounds in a month.there's a book that tells you how to do it and a cook book for it. I have the book I'm gonna start it monday
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I wanna be 115 pounds buy the time I get back into school. Or like 130 at the most. And that gives me the rest of this year and summer break. Which is roughly 4 months.

The latest by my birthday in late October.

Is it possible? With good eating habits and exercise? Like, absolutely NO junk food whatsoever. Ditching the sugary drinks. And drinking strictly water and milk. And eating those good veggies and fruits and cutting carbs and sugars. About a 1350 calorie diet daily. (Yes I can live off of that. I've done it before.) And exercising daily (as much as I can.) Running/jogging and different forms of cardio. I dance a LOT.

Even if 67 in 4 months isn't possible, how about 40 in 4 months. That would bring me to 140 ish. Which would be much better than I am now.

I'm currently 182. 5'3. I'm a medium frame. With a 32-36" waist. I don't really know. I wear a size 12 jeans. Sometimes a 14. I wear adult medium sweatshirts because they're baggy on me.

-And if there is anything else I should know, that'd be great!
    No you can't lose that much in such a short time. However if you set yourself to lose 2lb a week, you may be able to lose close to 30lb and that is better than not even trying right?
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old you are but considering you said school I am going to assume college age. sure you can lose weight rapidly but it's probably not wise or healthy. Look at this as not a diet that you will stop when you reach your goal weight but something you will continue for the rest of your life. Focus on a well balanced food plan with a healthy respect for all foods. Incorporate exercise into your daily life. Now is the time in work in instilling healthy habits and a healthy outlook on food and fitness. Set yourself a smaller more manageable goal and not only will you get there but you will have a greater chance of keeping yourself at that healthy weight.
    I was your age and did lose a lot of weight very quickly. I didn't keep it off; all those pounds eventually came back and they brought friends with them. I didn't have a healthy view on food, exercise, or body image at the time. Now I am older and working on my weight with a more balanced approach.
  • SophieTierno
    Options
    I don't get why you would assume I didn't read the OP. And I don't think anyone has the right to tell her she can't do it. A friend of mine went from 215 to 145 in 4 months doing a mix of P90X, Insanity, and Asylum - no, it's not 180 to 120, but it's pretty close.

And the flip side of the difference between going from 300 to 240 and 180 to 120 - a 180 pound person will be much more able to undertake intense exercise and burn off the calories than the 300 pound person.

Well...assuming your friend is the same height as the OP or close to it, 215 to 145 is different from 180 to 120. 145 would be barely a normal (or even slightly above normal) BMI. 120 is well under the higher end of normal. Once you get into the normal range, it really isn't a good idea to lose weight that fast. Possible, yes. And just how possible it is depends on your specific body chemistry, metabolism, etc. But USUALLY not healthy.

I respect where you are coming from, and I don't fully disagree. And reading everything you said, I think you're projecting some of your own personal stuff here too. You say your goal is similar - so I can understand how reading a thread like this is frustrating. In telling her she can't do it, they're indirectly telling you you can't do it too. And no one likes to be told they won't or can't reach their goal. We all have reasons for wanting to be a certain weight by a certain time - starting school, a high school reunion, any special event where we want to look good, winning a bet with a friend, etc. So I don't think these people should be so negative either.

And I say this as a current biochemistry PhD candidate - just because something would be unhealthy or not work in one person doesn't mean it won't work in the next. We all have different genetics, metabolisms, etc. Some overweight people (surprise, surprise) are mesomorphs, meaning they can take the weight off faster naturally.

The right approach is to moderate your nutrition and exercise to a level that is comfortable FOR YOU, and however much weight you lose is what you lose. To the OP - you can't really ask other people how much you can lose because they don't know you or how your body works. Just push yourself with the exercise (but not to the point where it causes injuries) and eat clean. But don't go hungry or exercise too intensely. Listen to your body. If the 4 pounds a week comes off naturally, great. If it doesn't, but you're losing a smaller amount, keep going. Push yourself, but not too hard - that's the key.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all these naysayers. I think it is possible depending on what you're willing to do. People who have done the Insanity workout, for example, have lost 40-50 pounds within two months, and they had to be eating a significant number of calories per day to fuel those workouts.

So you believe that a woman can go from 180 to 120 in 4 months? Did you read the OP? She isn't 300 going for 240........there is a huge difference in these two worlds. OP, if you are still around, please don't try this, you will only end disappointed. You probably can lose 30-35 pounds in that time though, and that would be awesome!!! People need to think about their advice.

And this is why these forums , and web forums in general can do a ton of damage, especially to a teenager worrying about weight. Because every single clueless (or possibly with no so good intentions?) person can offer dangerous advice, which could seriously hurt someone desperate enough to try following this advice. OP, please do not listen to nonsense. You are young, I bet you are beautiful, and becoming anorexic and risking your health is not going to make you more beautiful. You want to lose the weight, set a realistic goal. In the big picture, 4 months or 24 months, it really does not make a difference. You might be now a bit chubbier than you would like, and it might sound like the end of the world at 18, but it is not. Losing 20 lbs or 60 lbs, it will not change who you are. You want to get closer to an ideal weight, do it slowly, so your body will look good, and you will stay strong. Losing fast will not help you on the long run, it will damage your body.
  • SophieTierno
    Options

Again with the "bunch of people" anecdotal evidence. Do you happen to be a beachbody coach? You sound like one. You are also arguing from a bad position., the position of ignorance. You should stop, you don't know what you are talking about. I am actually trying to be polite to you, but my patience is wearing thin. Please, please stop, what you are advocating is dangerous on more than one level. Would you really advise an 18 gear old girl to go on a diet this drastic? You want to create an eating disorder where one doesn't yet exist? AGAIN, think before you offer advice.

ETA. There are not many examples on MFP of people going from 180 to 120 at 5'3" in 12 weeks, if I'm wrong, prove it.

I get what you are saying, but it seems that you are both somewhat coming from a place of ignorance. I don't think she advocated eating disorders in any way. And some people can actually eat 2000+ calories per day, exercise intensely, and still lose that amount of weight, just depending on their body chemistry - I did something similar at age 23 without amputating a limb, starving myself, or any of that nonsense. I ate well every day, and really pushed myself in the gym 6 days a week. And I dropped from almost 200 to 130 in 5 months without a problem. BUT...this was my natural rate of weight loss, and this is not the norm. I am a mesomorph who only got to be overweight because of extreme compulsive eating. And mesomorphs are just not genetically engineered to be overweight, so it came off quickly as soon as I allowed it to. For someone who's naturally an endomorph, this probably would not have been possible. And I don't know details about the OP, but these things matter when it comes to how fast a person can lose weight.

Also, you are coming off very brash and rude, to be honest. Both of you kind of are.

So in short, I don't think anyone should be advocating this rate of weight loss NOR saying it's impossible. Because it really all depends on the OP's body itself. As I said in my other post, she should just eat healthy and work out, and what she loses is what she loses. It could be 4 pounds per week, or it could be less - losing 4 pounds per week is neither drastic nor indicative of an eating disorder in EVERY case. Everyone's body is different.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Again with the "bunch of people" anecdotal evidence. Do you happen to be a beachbody coach? You sound like one. You are also arguing from a bad position., the position of ignorance. You should stop, you don't know what you are talking about. I am actually trying to be polite to you, but my patience is wearing thin. Please, please stop, what you are advocating is dangerous on more than one level. Would you really advise an 18 gear old girl to go on a diet this drastic? You want to create an eating disorder where one doesn't yet exist? AGAIN, think before you offer advice.

ETA. There are not many examples on MFP of people going from 180 to 120 at 5'3" in 12 weeks, if I'm wrong, prove it.

I get what you are saying, but it seems that you are both somewhat coming from a place of ignorance. I don't think she advocated eating disorders in any way. And some people can actually eat 2000+ calories per day, exercise intensely, and still lose that amount of weight, just depending on their body chemistry - I did something similar at age 23 without amputating a limb, starving myself, or any of that nonsense. I ate well every day, and really pushed myself in the gym 6 days a week. And I dropped from almost 200 to 130 in 5 months without a problem. BUT...this was my natural rate of weight loss, and this is not the norm. I am a mesomorph who only got to be overweight because of extreme compulsive eating. And mesomorphs are just not genetically engineered to be overweight, so it came off quickly as soon as I allowed it to. For someone who's naturally an endomorph, this probably would not have been possible. And I don't know details about the OP, but these things matter when it comes to how fast a person can lose weight.

Also, you are coming off very brash and rude, to be honest. Both of you kind of are.

So in short, I don't think anyone should be advocating this rate of weight loss NOR saying it's impossible. Because it really all depends on the OP's body itself. As I said in my other post, she should just eat healthy and work out, and what she loses is what she loses. It could be 4 pounds per week, or it could be less - losing 4 pounds per week is neither drastic nor indicative of an eating disorder in EVERY case. Everyone's body is different.

Be careful what you are saying. You might mean well, but an 18 year old who thinks is fat and the world will end if she is not super model thin when school starts is not going to even bother with "what she loses is what she loses". She is going to read the "somebody is telling me I could lose 4 lbs per week and reach my goal!". And next thing you know, she is desperate and fainting from eating 300 calories per day by the end of summer. She is a kid still, you do not talk to a slightly overweight 18 year old about losing at crazy rates.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Possible? Probably.
    Healthy? No.
    Likely? Also no.

Setting up arbitrary dates for weight loss is setting yourself up for failure. Try thinking about in terms of being healthy and slim for the rest of your life. Thinking in the short-term will not only probably not get you the weight loss you want, but will cause you to put it back on as soon as you hit your goal, because you can't sustain what you have done to get it off.

Don't make it complicated. Burn more calories than you consume, that's all you need for weight loss. Don't be extreme, it'll only hurt you in the long run.

This ^^^^^
    Ask yourself the question - do I want to look thin when I return to school or do I want to be at a healthy weight, fit and strong for the rest of my life?
  • SophieTierno
    Options
    Be careful what you are saying. You might mean well, but an 18 year old who thinks is fat and the world will end if she is not super model thin when school starts is not going to even bother with "what she loses is what she loses". She is going to read the "somebody is telling me I could lose 4 lbs per week and reach my goal!". And next thing you know, she is desperate and fainting from eating 300 calories per day by the end of summer. She is a kid still, you do not talk to a slightly overweight 18 year old about losing at crazy rates.

I absolutely did not intend to advocate VLCDs. This is the LAST thing anyone should do to lose weight. First of all, it is very likely that it will not work because her body will go into starvation mode. Second, she won't have the energy to exercise safely, and exercise is key to actually LOOKING GOOD once the weight is gone. Third, it could really do permanent damage to her metabolism and her organs.

So OP, PLEASE do not even think about eating less than the Harris Benedict equation tells you to eat. If you push yourself TOO HARD, you may end up damaging your body to the point where, yes, you'll be skinny for the end of the summer, but you will have trouble with regulating your weight for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

I have a friend who had an eating disorder in high school and got way too skinny by starving herself. Now, in her 20s, her weight is still up and down at the drop of a hat. She can't eat ice cream without her body clinging to every single calorie because she trained it to do that. So being skinny by the end of the summer is absolutely not worth paying for it for the rest of your life.

I'm not telling her she definitely could lose 4 pounds per week. Maybe she can, maybe she can't. But she absolutely should bother with the "what she loses is what she loses" because that is the MOST important part of what I was saying. If she wants to lose weight as quickly as possible without compromising her health, the thing to do is eat reasonably (I would say 1500-1800 calories per day at her weight) and work out multiple times per week. But it is KEY that she listens to her body. She should push herself workout wise without going TOO hard, and she should eat enough to keep herself going. She should NEVER go hungry.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Sophie, you are a PHD biochemistry candidate and yet you talk about 'eating clean' and 'going into starvation mode'

Hmmmm.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,

CyberEd312

MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.