Eating out is basically impossible

Options
1235»

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    No it isn't. I do a damn fine job of it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about eating out, and have just chosen not to. I feel like I can have a tastier and more satisfying meal at home. I detest the fake taste of grilled chicken in restaurants. I'm not at a point with my weight loss that I want to blow a day of calories on eating out. I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, so I'm also hungry every 2-3 hours, and if I miss/skip a meal to be able to eat out, I would more than likely over eat b/c of that. You know yourself and your goals better than anyone else. I do agree with the poster who said to halve the meal. I was just looking through on-line menus, and since they do give so much food, you could easily halve it I think.
    *edited to say I don't deprive myself of treats, but again, I can get more bang for my buck so to speak by making it myself

you are going to the wrong restaurants..seriously…

ETA - the reason I go out, most of the time, is to get a better meal then I can prepare …..

maybe you need some cooking lessons! :tongue: I'm sure I have a lower caloric goal for the day than a male, and most of my meals are between 200-300 cal. You just can't get that at a restaurant. Plus, the sodium is crazy! I ate one salad from Chik-fil-A last week and gained a pound (and I did make good choices for dressing). Like I said, I'm not far enough into my weight loss for that to be worth it. yet... I'm happy with what I'm able to get at home and don't really miss it. Now, when vacation time hits, I'll have to make some sacrifices!

I grew up in an italian household, I make my own marinara, alfredo, etc from scratch, so I know how to cook.

Chik-fil-a, applebees, etc is not "eating out"…I am talking about going somewhere where they cook good, real food, like a local spot that has fresh fish, sushi place, steakhouse, etc…..

That isn't available everywhere; especially if you don't live in a metro area, and even where one can get fresh food, it can still be cooked in a very high caloric manner. If it fits in your daily goal, good for you, but again, most women don't have as high of a daily goal as most men. I'm not saying I won't learn how to fit it in to daily life once I'm at my maintenance, but I am not missing anything by making my own food.

Female not in maintenance and I can make it work, you keep going back to well it's a male so you can do it. Females can eat out just as easily it just takes planning. And waiting until you are in maintenance to learn how to incorporate going out, or eating things is a recipe for disaster. Learn moderation now and it will help to set you up for maintenance

I'm not waiting for maintenance to learn moderation. I'm not "dieting" and am not depriving myself of anything. I've said it repeatedly; it depends on one's personal goals. Eating out is not necessary or inevitable and there are people who don't depend on it. I can have a treat without eat a 700 calorie meal in one setting. It seems to me more people take offense when someone chooses not to "cheat" in the same manner. The OP asked if any one else found it difficult and I empathized with her. Doesn't make either of us wrong.

How is having one of your meals 700 calories a cheat? 500-700 cals is often dinner (my main meal as it seems to work out). (not eating out, just normal).

That would be a huge cheat for me and my daily goals. Everyone seems to think one size fits all here.

Again. Not seeing how it is a cheat if you are still meeting your calorie goals. Just because one meal is bigger than others makes it a cheat?

AGAIN, for MY goals and the way I am choosing to eat, it doesn't fit. STILL doesn't make it wrong if it's working for me.
    this makes no sense.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about eating out, and have just chosen not to. I feel like I can have a tastier and more satisfying meal at home. I detest the fake taste of grilled chicken in restaurants. I'm not at a point with my weight loss that I want to blow a day of calories on eating out. I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, so I'm also hungry every 2-3 hours, and if I miss/skip a meal to be able to eat out, I would more than likely over eat b/c of that. You know yourself and your goals better than anyone else. I do agree with the poster who said to halve the meal. I was just looking through on-line menus, and since they do give so much food, you could easily halve it I think.
    *edited to say I don't deprive myself of treats, but again, I can get more bang for my buck so to speak by making it myself

ETA - the reason I go out, most of the time, is to get a better meal then I can prepare …..

maybe you need some cooking lessons! :tongue: I'm sure I have a lower caloric goal for the day than a male, and most of my meals are between 200-300 cal. You just can't get that at a restaurant. Plus, the sodium is crazy! I ate one salad from Chik-fil-A last week and gained a pound (and I did make good choices for dressing). Like I said, I'm not far enough into my weight loss for that to be worth it. yet... I'm happy with what I'm able to get at home and don't really miss it. Now, when vacation time hits, I'll have to make some sacrifices!

I grew up in an italian household, I make my own marinara, alfredo, etc from scratch, so I know how to cook.

Chik-fil-a, applebees, etc is not "eating out"…I am talking about going somewhere where they cook good, real food, like a local spot that has fresh fish, sushi place, steakhouse, etc…..

That isn't available everywhere; especially if you don't live in a metro area, and even where one can get fresh food, it can still be cooked in a very high caloric manner. If it fits in your daily goal, good for you, but again, most women don't have as high of a daily goal as most men. I'm not saying I won't learn how to fit it in to daily life once I'm at my maintenance, but I am not missing anything by making my own food.

Female not in maintenance and I can make it work, you keep going back to well it's a male so you can do it. Females can eat out just as easily it just takes planning. And waiting until you are in maintenance to learn how to incorporate going out, or eating things is a recipe for disaster. Learn moderation now and it will help to set you up for maintenance

I'm not waiting for maintenance to learn moderation. I'm not "dieting" and am not depriving myself of anything. I've said it repeatedly; it depends on one's personal goals. Eating out is not necessary or inevitable and there are people who don't depend on it. I can have a treat without eat a 700 calorie meal in one setting. It seems to me more people take offense when someone chooses not to "cheat" in the same manner. The OP asked if any one else found it difficult and I empathized with her. Doesn't make either of us wrong.

How is having one of your meals 700 calories a cheat? 500-700 cals is often dinner (my main meal as it seems to work out). (not eating out, just normal).

That would be a huge cheat for me and my daily goals. Everyone seems to think one size fits all here.

Again. Not seeing how it is a cheat if you are still meeting your calorie goals. Just because one meal is bigger than others makes it a cheat?

AGAIN, for MY goals and the way I am choosing to eat, it doesn't fit. STILL doesn't make it wrong if it's working for me.
    this makes no sense.

Glad it wasn't just me. I understand that you "prefer" smaller portioned meals but unless you are going over your calorie goal, I just can't wrap my head around the idea you'd tell yourself your cheating.

But as you said, each your own. I just think doing that is really restrictive and just would be a reason to make myself feel bad if I didn't stick to something perfectly...even if the end result was good.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Do you have issues with reading comprehension? This is a serious question.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I order whatever the heck I want.

Eat half of it for dinner. And save the other half for lunch the next day.

.....or I eat the rest at midnight. Heh.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat out TONS and am right on track with my loss. I just try to find meals under 600 calories if can, which has been pretty easy for me so far. Currently have no issues at McDonalds, Panera Bread, The Keg, Wendys, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Turtle Jacks, Jack Astors, Shoeless Joes... to name just a few. Going out to eat is something my friends and I love, so I make it work whenever I can and have been pretty successful!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Soooooo misled... :cry:
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options

RIGHT?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Well since I've been married (15 years) my wife and I eat out at least 2 times a week. It's not impossible, just don't freak out if a day isn't perfect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Nope I eat out all the time.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is possible. Hitting those macros is really hard to do everyday whether you eat out or in. I have even eaten at McDonalds on occasion and stayed well within my caloric allowance. However, you are female and probably have a much lower tolerance of caloric intake than I do so it may be harder for you.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As I've been averse to eating out lately, I decided to take a "1200 calorie challenge". While consuming 1200 (net) calories or less, I took my girlfriend to a movie theater and ate popcorn, then we hit a bar and had drinks and an appetizer, then we hit a restaurant where I indulged in baby back ribs and two sides. I hit target, wasn't hungry, and the scale's down. With 2000 calories it would've been even easier!

I also kept my sodium reasonable and hit most of my micronutrients. I will admit my macros were not on-target.. there was an ordering error, and I should've sent a wrong dish back instead of eating it. ;)

PS - The trick? 700 calories of exercise. Which meant, I cleaned my house in the morning, and we took a leisurely walk around a nice are of town to get to both the places. Also, I used portion control.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have even eaten at McDonalds on occasion and stayed well within my caloric allowance.
    The challenge when eating at McDonalds imho is more staying within the daily sodium allowance of 2300mg, which is what is recommended for healthy adults without any pre-existing conditions, so you don't increase your chance of eventually developing heart disease or related conditions. If you already had high blood pressure or like most fall into a risk group, your allowance is an even smaller 1500mg/day.

On a 2000-calorie diet, blowing 750mg of that sodium allowance on your first 250 calories (Egg McMuffin) is doable but not particularly convenient. It makes the rest of the day challenging.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This isn't really something I've found. We eat out several times a week, at different restaurants, and I can always find something I like. I may ask for something like dressing on the side, or double veg instead of fries or something, but that's all doable.
    I don't know about fast food, but real, sit down restaurants aren't an issue for me. They just take a little creative thinking.
  • melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options

this makes no sense.

Glad it wasn't just me. I understand that you "prefer" smaller portioned meals but unless you are going over your calorie goal, I just can't wrap my head around the idea you'd tell yourself your cheating.

But as you said, each your own. I just think doing that is really restrictive and just would be a reason to make myself feel bad if I didn't stick to something perfectly...even if the end result was good.

Then I guess it's a good thing it doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not. I'm not counting on either of you or your opinions. I can relate to the OP; I eat smaller meals and find it difficult to eat at a restaurant. Not the end of the world.
  • tarak75103
    tarak75103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i personally look at the facts too. i find it hard at a fast food place but have found a few things. wendys chili is a good one to eat. you always have subway but not everything. i stay away from burgers unless turkey and even then try to stay away. olive garden soup is great 100 calories per bowl. ( minestrone ) jack in the box tacos if you just eat 2 arent that bad. waffle house chicken melt and there waffles if you leave off all the syrup. mcdonalds yogurt. your right though it is hard. when going to places like cracker barrel i do grilled chicken with cabbage, seasonal veggies, fruit,