Is muscle heavier than fat?

Options
Please help. I'm 5"4 and weighed 9 stone 9 lbs. I started running a month ago along with cycling and power walking. I have been trying not to weigh myself but did this morning only to discover I am now back up at 10 stone. I religiously log everything I eat and drink and on average have been burning 900 calories per day due to exercise. I have only been eating these calories on the weekends. Devastated to have gained weight... So the age old question is muscle heavier than fat? ( can see a difference in the toning in my legs though!)

Replies

• izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No. One pound of fat = one pound of muscle = one pound of concrete = one pound of feathers = one pound of gold.

Muscles however are denser than fat, so you might weight the same or even more, but to be fitter - smaller size-wise. So if you want to make sure that you are getting fitter - along with the scale measure yourself with measuring tape.
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ditto. The weight is the same, but the size:
    fat-vs-muscle.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yes based on an identical volumetric size (which is how most normal people compare things).

But the real question is are muscle and fat volumetrically the the same size?

Answer yes - a six inch cube of muscle is the same size as a 6 inch cube of fat!

Hope that helps!
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    LOL!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same in the same way that gold and feathers weigh the same. A pound of feathers and a pound of gold are still both one pound. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle are still both a pound.

If you're doing anything which might build muscle, you're better off measuring your sizes with a measuring tape instead of looking at a scale. Many people lose inches without losing weight because their fat is being replaced with muscle.

Take a look at this thread if you'd like to see a clear demonstration with photos: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283044-135-vs-135-4-size-difference
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    as they said muscle is more dense, BUT I dont think you gained a bunch of muscle from running, just because running isnt condusive to building muscle.

You have only been at this a month so the more realistic answer is that your body weight is adjusting right now. You probably have some water weight. My first month into fitness and diet I didnt lose anything, not a bit. Now i'm 5 months in and down almost 20 pounds.
    Just keep on track, log your food, keep running if thats what you prefer (I lift, id rather die than run) and you will see the changes.
  • kirstymarian
    kirstymarian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your calories burned?
    How are you measuring your food?

Being as accurate as you can with both will help you see if you are actually in a calorie deficit.

This link may help you with some ideas and answers:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ditto. The weight is the same, but the size:
    fat-vs-muscle.jpg

Wow ^
  • corgarian
    Options
    you also could just be bloated today. I weight 5 pounds more today then I did yesterday because I had pizza and brownies last night (at a party), and I havent eaten those things in months. I did NOT gain 5 pounds of fat over night, so I know im just retaining water and gas.
  • kirstymarian
    Options
    Thanks! X
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Also you will not be gaining muscle while eating at a deficit.

But with new workouts and a greater intensity, you do gain water weight. After a few weeks it will go away. (I see a few people said this already)

Also body weight can fluctuate by up to 10 lbs every month.

You want to look for trends either upwards or downwards for at minimum 4-6 weeks
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more, but look smaller, firmer, fitter then that could very well be due to muscle. Gaining muscle is not very easy, though. Usually requires heavy weight lifting and eating at a surplus for a period of time, followed by a small cut to lose the fat that was gained along with the muscle.

Initially as a newbie you can gain some muscle. And you can slowly gain it eating at maintenance or a small surplus.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I like preciseness.
    Density, rho, equals mass divided by volume.
    Play with the formula to grasp the concept and ponder why you would ask the question the way you worded it.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    you also could just be bloated today. I weight 5 pounds more today then I did yesterday because I had pizza and brownies last night (at a party), and I havent eaten those things in months. I did NOT gain 5 pounds of fat over night, so I know im just retaining water and gas.

High five for brownies and pizza! I don't think I could enjoy this weight loss journey without those few "brownie and pizza" days! Its worth the 2 days of water retention as long as the inches are shrinking over all.
  • corgarian
    Options

High five for brownies and pizza! I don't think I could enjoy this weight loss journey without those few "brownie and pizza" days! Its worth the 2 days of water retention as long as the inches are shrinking over all.
    Gotta give in every now and then! Saves me from ever having crazy binge cravings.
    And by now I have such an understanding of my body that I know if I put in some good workouts, and drink lots of water I'll be back to normal (maybe even a little lighter) by monday.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No!! 1 pound of fat = 1 pound of muscle
  • kirstymarian
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! So basically I have gained a few pounds? Oops :-(
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Please look at this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283044-135-vs-135-4-size-difference

Density differences in action.
    Before: Body mass 135 lbs, rho is a lower number for fatty tissue, body volume is larger.
    After: Body mass still 135 lbs, rho depicts muscle tissue, body volume smaller as a result.

Use the chemical formula and figure out what is going on in your case.