Is muscle heavier than fat?

Options

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure stones weigh more than muscle.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure stones weigh more than muscle.

Nope a stone of stone weighs the same as a stone of muscle!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but what about metric measurements?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but what about metric measurements?

Oh tricky one, I think a tonne of horse *kitten* weighs the same as a tonne of bullsh*t.

And muscle and fat weighing the same is definitely a tonne of bullsh*t.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    Weight is a poor measurement of progress, yo! There are too many natural fluctuations through the day. Do you feel better? Do you think you look better in clothes? Are you losing inches? Do your clothes fit a bit better? Weight Shmeight! You might be retaining water too. It will go away.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    My hair sometimes has more volume than at other times. Does that make it heavier?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Per volume, yes. So, using myself as an example, a lean 135 will be smaller than a fat 135 and will be dress sizes 4-6 or 8-10 respectively.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Per volume, yes. So, using myself as an example, a lean 135 will be smaller than a fat 135 and will be dress sizes 4-6 or 8-10 respectively.

Mass per volume is called density. Muscle is more dense than fat, it does not weigh more.

Remember, words mean things.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Exactly. That's why feathers do not weigh more than steel and the change in your pocket does not weigh more than the dollar bills in your pocket. They're merely more dense, just like a lot of people. For example, when someone says "Which one weighs more" and someone else goes "Well, a pound of this weighs the same as a pound of that."
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Please help. I'm 5"4 and weighed 9 stone 9 lbs. I started running a month ago along with cycling and power walking. I have been trying not to weigh myself but did this morning only to discover I am now back up at 10 stone. I religiously log everything I eat and drink and on average have been burning 900 calories per day due to exercise. I have only been eating these calories on the weekends. Devastated to have gained weight... So the age old question is muscle heavier than fat? ( can see a difference in the toning in my legs though!)

This thread escalated quickly.

You've "gained" scale weight just because of weight fluctuations. I can sometimes "gain" 5 lbs without one day. No big deal. Monitor the downward trend of your weight. Women especially can have huge fluctuations at many different times in one day, week, month.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Mass per volume is called density. Muscle is more dense than fat, it does not weigh more.

/sigh

Per equal volumes(which was implied in the first statement), muscle is heavier than fat. Your density equation only backed my statement up.

Remember, words can make you look foolish if you don't use them wisely.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

/sigh

Per equal volumes(which was implied in the first statement), muscle is heavier than fat. Your density equation only backed my statement up.

I'm not the one replying with incorrect terms to the OP's question. Perhaps you should take your final sentence to heart.

You cite an equation that is not in my post then claim it "backed" your "statement up." Was your statement backed into a corner or did it just backtrack to it's point of flawed origin?

Again ... words mean things.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

/sigh

I'm not the one replying with incorrect terms to the OP's question. Perhaps you should take your final sentence to heart.

You cite an equation that is not in my post then claim it "backed" your "statement up." Was your statement backed into a corner or did it just backtrack to it's point of flawed origin?

Again ... words mean things.

The bolded is the equation you mentioned in your post, the equation for density. It backed up the fact that at equal volumes, muscle weighs more than fat. That's what the OP asked, if muscle weighed more than fat. I gave an example of wearing different dress sizes at equal body weights because now I have far more muscle despite being the same weight I was four years ago. I did this in order to illustrate my point and make it clear to anyone that read it. I see I failed to simplify my point enough for everyone.

Maybe you're not making your position clear because I have no idea why you're debating this semantic point. Make it clear to me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Depends on what metric you're using. Kilograms are heavier than pounds.

Fact.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Fact.

1 pound = .452592 kilograms :wink:
  • wheird
    Options

Fact.

1 pound = .452592 kilograms :wink:

Exactly. 1kg is heavier than 1lb.
  • wheird
    Options
    I do all my lifting in kilograms to help build strength
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    I do all my lifting in kilograms to help build strength
    Keep on keeping on.

/high five smiley
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ...is muscle heavier than fat?

No. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of:
    - fat
    - feathers
    - rocks

A pound of muscle will fit into a smaller volume than a pound of fat.