Eating back exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    @ Prattiger65

I really wasn't morbidly obese you know. I was never at the point where mobility or general life was an issue and my blood pressure and cholesterol where always pretty ok. I have a stupidly large frame to the extent that my nutritionist advises that I would in fact be underweight if I went to 200lbs. Never once in my life by any measure by anyone have I ever been considered morbidly obese. It's these kind of generalizations that frustrate me about mfp. As I understand just how different bodies can be from each other. And though I admit my response was overblown and anger laden. I also hold that the reason for my anger is justified. Even I acknowledge I did a poor job making my point looking back at it though. I really need to stop letting people get to me.
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options
    Doctors have very little training in nutrition. They are educated in how to fix broken thing and how to keep things from getting broken. They are only taught for perhaps a semester on how to feed those things. If a doctor told the OP that it was okay to lose four to five pounds a week then it was bad advice.

Well, I'm willing to bet that that semester is more training than most of the people on here have had. I just think it's incredibly arrogant to claim on a forum that you know better than DOCTORS.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    This week I've been eating back exercise calories. I've been using a Timex T5K217 HRM to track calories burned, and I adjust the gross calories to net calories using this..

233 = HRM gross cals
    106 = BMR cals/hour
    27 min duration of this particular workout

186 net cal burned = 233 HRM gross cal - ((27/60)*106 BMR gross cal)

*notes
    MFP calories per hour with 1.5 lb loss per week = 106 cal per hour = 2560 BMR (1810 + ((1.5*3500)/7))/24

Tomorrow is my check-in day, I'm a little nervous about the weigh in, I have no idea the accuracy of my HRM. But, I like the idea of balancing "eat as much as possible AND lose as much as possible" I'd rather feel fit & full, and lose 1 lb/week, than feel miserable and hungry...and lose 4 lbs/week.

lol...nobody is allowed to check my ticker tomorrow and see if it goes from 11lbs to 9lbs...and laugh at me :P
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Doctors have very little training in nutrition. They are educated in how to fix broken thing and how to keep things from getting broken. They are only taught for perhaps a semester on how to feed those things. If a doctor told the OP that it was okay to lose four to five pounds a week then it was bad advice.

Well, I'm willing to bet that that semester is more training than most of the people on here have had. I just think it's incredibly arrogant to claim on a forum that you know better than DOCTORS.

Erm honestly you can make valid points. And I have defended you but that one is actually pretty weak. These same doctors advised rabid fat restrictions. And they where completely wrong about that. Doctor's have also given me some pretty bad advice in the past. I have Hiderodenitis Suppuritiva also known as Acne Inversa and it wasn't diagnosed until I saw a different doctor purely by chance who actually ran some diagnostics on me and found the cause of the huge bloody abscesses I had been getting. It is now under control and I am so glad because I have seen what would have happened to me had it just been allowed to progress. My old doctor had just been giving me standard ab's to suppress individual flare ups. So I can attest from personal experience that your doctor absolutely could be talking out of his rear end. Just saying.
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options
    Bye, then?

If you've been so successful in the past and have all the answers, why did you even come here to ask questions?

You might have lost at that rate due to just beginning to eat healthier. Sometimes reducing sodium intake, for example, causes you to drop water weight quickly. On a long term basis, 3-4 lbs a week of fat loss does seem rather high, and potentially unsustainable. Wouldn't you rather know what awaits you on the other side of this initial glow?! Well, there it is, regardless!!

I never said that I had all the answers. I came here to ask a specific question. I was annoyed that when I made it clear that opinions about how my weight loss goal was unrealistic were UNWANTED, and the peanut gallery spoke up anyway. I consider that very disrespectful, especially since I asked specifically that people not comment on that. I know enough about biology and nutrition to work on this in MY own way, WITH my doctor, and I don't need the input of strangers who know NOTHING and are just being discouraging and bringing me down.

You may be right about it just being an initial fast weight loss. I guess time will tell. And I don't have a problem with you saying that, because it's helpful to know and you're at least saying "may" and not acting like you unequivocally know everything. But I just think it's asinine that people would look at nothing but ONE NUMBER and say that I'm DEFINITELY unhealthy based on that. They don't know anything about me, what I'm doing, my specific body chemistry, etc. They're just assuming that one rule applies to EVERYONE and giving advice that I, again, clearly stated was neither wanted nor welcome.

And I'm sorry for ranting. It's just that people who think they know everything when they clearly don't are probably my biggest pet peeve. I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone else their goal is unrealistic when they know nothing about the person or what they're doing - that's just extreme arrogance in my opinion.
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Bye, then?

If you've been so successful in the past and have all the answers, why did you even come here to ask questions?

You might have lost at that rate due to just beginning to eat healthier. Sometimes reducing sodium intake, for example, causes you to drop water weight quickly. On a long term basis, 3-4 lbs a week of fat loss does seem rather high, and potentially unsustainable. Wouldn't you rather know what awaits you on the other side of this initial glow?! Well, there it is, regardless!!

I never said that I had all the answers. I came here to ask a specific question. I was annoyed that when I made it clear that opinions about how my weight loss goal was unrealistic were UNWANTED, and the peanut gallery spoke up anyway. I consider that very disrespectful, especially since I asked specifically that people not comment on that. I know enough about biology and nutrition to work on this in MY own way, WITH my doctor, and I don't need the input of strangers who know NOTHING and are just being discouraging and bringing me down.

You may be right about it just being an initial fast weight loss. I guess time will tell. And I don't have a problem with you saying that, because it's helpful to know and you're at least saying "may" and not acting like you unequivocally know everything. But I just think it's asinine that people would look at nothing but ONE NUMBER and say that I'm DEFINITELY unhealthy based on that. They don't know anything about me, what I'm doing, my specific body chemistry, etc. They're just assuming that one rule applies to EVERYONE and giving advice that I, again, clearly stated was neither wanted nor welcome.

And I'm sorry for ranting. It's just that people who think they know everything when they clearly don't are probably my biggest pet peeve. I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone else their goal is unrealistic when they know nothing about the person or what they're doing - that's just extreme arrogance in my opinion.

Okay okay wow ... Was I really supporting you? Everyone I am so so sorry. I don't know what came over me. Sorry I know this is going to sound like an excuse but I think I just had a manic episode. I'm bipolar y'see.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

If you don't want opinions of "strangers who know nothing, then maybe you shouldn't post a question on an open forum?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @ Prattiger65

I really wasn't morbidly obese you know. I was never at the point where mobility or general life was an issue and my blood pressure and cholesterol where always pretty ok. I have a stupidly large frame to the extent that my nutritionist advises that I would in fact be underweight if I went to 200lbs. Never once in my life by any measure by anyone have I ever been considered morbidly obese. It's these kind of generalizations that frustrate me about mfp. As I understand just how different bodies can be from each other. And though I admit my response was overblown and anger laden. I also hold that the reason for my anger is justified. Even I acknowledge I did a poor job making my point looking back at it though. I really need to stop letting people get to me.

How tall are you?

Never mind, I ran the numbers. For you to NOT be morbidly obese at 33 years old and 338 lbs you would have to be 6'6" tall. Also at 6'6" tall, assuming you are that tall, you would have a bmi of 23 @ 200 lbs, hardly underweight. I think you may need a new doctor.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Bye, then?

Try to remember that this forum is used not just by posters but by lurkers as well. Any caution being sent your way would be to their benefit as well as yours. People reading won't know that you ____, so you may have to post those details. And even then, you may still be told that you're wrong. Remember, again, you chose to come here for the expertise of the forum participants. This weight loss process can be HARD as hell sometimes. Maybe this is just part of the hardship you'll have to deal with in your journey! Hang in there. This, too, shall pass :smile:
  • RHachicho
    Options
    @ Prattiger65

How tall are you?

6 foot 5

Wrist Circumference 9.5"

Current body fat at 283.2 lbs is 33%

If it helps I am also quite well muscled in addition to being fat.
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options

Erm honestly you can make valid points. And I have defended you but that one is actually pretty weak. These same doctors advised rabid fat restrictions. And they where completely wrong about that. Doctor's have also given me some pretty bad advice in the past. I have Hiderodenitis Suppuritiva also known as Acne Inversa and it wasn't diagnosed until I saw a different doctor purely by chance who actually ran some diagnostics on me and found the cause of the huge bloody abscesses I had been getting. It is now under control and I am so glad because I have seen what would have happened to me had it just been allowed to progress. My old doctor had just been giving me standard ab's to suppress individual flare ups. So I can attest from personal experience that your doctor absolutely could be talking out of his rear end. Just saying.

True that there are some ignorant doctors out there. But I don't think that's the norm to be honest. Doctors risk malpractice suits, etc. for giving bad advice.

And I am willing to bet that as a whole, doctors are much more knowledgeable about nutrition and health than the population of people who frequent online forums. And I have seen this so many times on forums, not only about weight loss but on multiple topics - people who really don't know jack speak with authority and think they know everything. It's very irritating and potentially damaging to anyone who doesn't know any better than to just blindly listen to it. I would have been cheated out of a few really great things that I pursued had I listened to all the negative nellies on forums.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

According to your ticker, you have 108lbs to lose. Your doctor is probably telling you 3-4lbs is okay...FOR NOW...because he just wants to get a chunk of the weight off of you as soon as possible.

Still, I recommend aiming for 2lbs/week loss and teaching yourself new habits that will stick with you so that you can maintain the weight loss.

Here's an ideal lbs per week chart so as the amount of weight you have to lose go downs, you can adjust accordingly.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options

Please stop. No one is saying this is a bad idea because they are jealous, nor is anyone here unfamiliar with the big losses people see at the beginning due to water weight. There is a difference between having a big loss one week, because weight loss isn't linear, and purposefully trying to lose that amount per week. As other posters have said, it would require a huge deficit and it is not sustainable. If the OP doesn't want to eat more, we can't make her, but we also don't have to tell her it's a good idea. Most of us have been here long enough to see what happens when people try to carry huge deficits, and it usually comes in the form of a "why am I not losing?" post and plea for help.

And I believe the poster you quoted was talking to the OP, not you.

I feel like people aren't even reading what I wrote. I'm already eating 2000 calories a day - how is that a "huge deficit"? Like I said, would it be "healthy" if I would add a bunch of candy and sugary sodas to my daily diet, because then I'd only be losing 1-2 pounds a week?

As for the "we also don't have to tell her it's a good idea" - no you absolutely don't. It just would have been nice if people had respected my wishes and refrained from commenting on it at all. Apparently that's too much to ask for on the Internet.
  • RHachicho
    Options

Please stop. No one is saying this is a bad idea because they are jealous, nor is anyone here unfamiliar with the big losses people see at the beginning due to water weight. There is a difference between having a big loss one week, because weight loss isn't linear, and purposefully trying to lose that amount per week. As other posters have said, it would require a huge deficit and it is not sustainable. If the OP doesn't want to eat more, we can't make her, but we also don't have to tell her it's a good idea. Most of us have been here long enough to see what happens when people try to carry huge deficits, and it usually comes in the form of a "why am I not losing?" post and plea for help.

And I believe the poster you quoted was talking to the OP, not you.

I feel like people aren't even reading what I wrote. I'm already eating 2000 calories a day - how is that a "huge deficit"? Like I said, would it be "healthy" if I would add a bunch of candy and sugary sodas to my daily diet, because then I'd only be losing 1-2 pounds a week?

I don't think anyone actually suggested supplementing your diet with candy and soda ...
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options
    I don't think anyone actually suggested supplementing your diet with candy and soda ...

No, but people don't seem to be regarding anything I'm saying. I made it clear that I'm eating quite a bit, more than the vast majority of people who go on diets, and still losing weight, and they keep going on and on about unhealthy deficits, etc. like they're just not even reading it. They're saying I'm automatically unhealthy because I'm losing 3+ pounds per week. So I'm wondering if, since apparently the number of pounds I'm losing is the sole determining factor in how healthy I am, whether I would be "healthier" if I would eat a bunch of junk to purposely slow down my weight loss.
  • RHachicho
    Options

No, but people don't seem to be regarding anything I'm saying. I made it clear that I'm eating quite a bit, more than the vast majority of people who go on diets, and still losing weight, and they keep going on and on about unhealthy deficits, etc. like they're just not even reading it. They're saying I'm automatically unhealthy because I'm losing 3+ pounds per week. So I'm wondering if, since apparently the number of pounds I'm losing is the sole determining factor in how healthy I am, whether I would be "healthier" if I would eat a bunch of junk to purposely slow down my weight loss.

That is just being contrarian. Of course the number of lb's you are losing isn't the sole determining factor in how healthy you are. The first thing I said was if you feel great you probably have no problem right? And I have an example of my own to ratify what you said. Honestly we are both making fools out of ourselves here. I think I understand where you are coming from but like me you are letting your anger take over and it is speaking for you. I also worry that in truth you yourself are worried about your physical condition. If you did not feel fatigue or hunger I am unsure of why you would post a topic asking if you should eat back your exercise calories. If you where really feeling completely fine with your diet/exercise regime why ask about a step designed to counter the negative effects of large quantities of exercise like that? And honestly if you are at 2000 cals with gym 6 days a week ... some of your loss is probably lean tissue. Which this step is designed to avoid.

Anyway I will stop second guessing you. But my advice is simple. I eat between 1/3 and 1/2 of my exercise calories back. In order to speed my recovery and minimize the effect of being in a deficit on my lean tissue. I am against eating all exercise calories back because exercise calorie estimates are often hideously inaccurate.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You edited your first post!!!! It did not say you were eating 2000 cals at beginning... You are lucky... Well done crazy girl
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I'll refrain from answering your last question for now.

The rate of loss you've stated is not consistent with our tool. Again , maybe we're missing something like you're super active all day (bikers messenger?? Mover?), but here's what I get plugging in numbers for a sedentary gal w/the weight you told us:

.5 lbs per week: 1890 cals
    1 lb per week: 1640 cals
    1.5 lb per week: 1390 cals
    2 lbs per week: 1200 cals

MFP bottoms out at 1200 cals because it simply won't go lower. But if you like math, you can look at the trend and guess what the number would be. If you're burning 800 calories per day in exercise and eating them back, that places you at 2000 calories per day, which you're currently eating. To be losing 4 lbs of fat per week, you're missing the better part of a 2 lb deficit. What are we missing??
  • Crazygurl1211
    Options
    OP argued with me in another thread where she advocated an 18 year old young lady should absolutely try to lose 60 pounds in 4 weeks. Was incredulous that people said it was s bad idea. So I am not surprised by this post or this attitude toward the advice given. I don't know what to think about the potty mouth poster.

The more I see of you, the more I think you are a troll. Why bring up things I said in another thread, just to generate conflict? Also, it is actually pretty disturbing that you would post something completely false like this. First, I didn't say she should "absolutely try" to do anything, I just said that she shouldn't limit herself to what all the naysayers said she should. Just because a know-it-all stranger on the Internet tells you it is unhealthy/impossible to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week doesn't mean you should feel discouraged or believe them. Some people absolutely CAN work out and eat right and lose more than that. I've seen it done multiple times, and I'm doing it myself now. Second, the "4 weeks" part is a gross lie - I can't even believe that you would go that far. It was 16-20 weeks - I noticed that on the thread itself you referred to it as "12 weeks," and now you're saying 4. Seriously? And I wasn't "incredulous" that people said it was a bad idea, I was incredulous that they would be so arrogant to assume that her body is just like every other body out there and they have any authority to say what is right for her.

People on forums just tend to be know-it-alls when in reality they don't know jack. It is disturbing that people would speak with such authority when they have none - they discourage people years out of college who want to go to med school by saying med school admissions committees will be less likely to want them, they tell women over 30 that they have almost no chance of getting married unless they want a man over 50, and they say that a person can't lose more than 1-2 pounds per week and be healthy. When in reality many, many people have transcended these supposed limits. There is no one-size-fits-all, and using a one-size-fits-all to tell someone you don't even know that their goal is impossible is unacceptable, in my opinion.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,091 Member
    Options

If you are working in close conjunction with your doctor on a weight loss program , why don't you ask him/her your question then?