"You Can't Out-Exercise a Bad Diet"

Options
Psychgrrl
Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
And other weightloss/fatloss wisdom from Born Fitness http://bit.ly/1uRGQf5

He has great info--I follow him on Twitter an subscribe to his newsletter. Thought this piece in particular had some especially relevant info for us and I wanted to share. I really like his positive, can-do approach:

"Your metabolism isn’t holding you back, and your body isn’t hardwired to look a certain way. You can control your ability to lose weight. Simple, small adjustments to your diet, exercise, and other behaviors will make a surprisingly big difference and transform your body."

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Don't know who the dude is but I sure as hell disagree with your title.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Lies! I could totally do it in my twenties. Now, not so much. Damn you thirties! *shakes fist*
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Define a bad diet?
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone who is disagreeing- she's right. If you want to mess up your hormones and insulin levels, eat like crap. All the exercise in the world isn't going to counteract a diet of trans fats and processed sugars.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone who is disagreeing- she's right. If you want to mess up your hormones and insulin levels, eat like crap. All the exercise in the world isn't going to counteract a diet of trans fats and processed sugars.

wow that didn't take long...

OP is correct but it's not about the types of food...and "bad diet" is probably not the best words...

If you are 500 calories over maintenance you would have to do a lot of exercise to get in a deficet and most people won't do that much exercise is the point of that.

basically weight loss comes from your food deficet...exercise is for health...
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Adam Bornstein is a good dude with mostly solid information.

I was lucky enough to work with him (albeit briefly) through the Cracking the Muscle Code program (until I injured myself in unrelated incident) and he seemed like a genuinely good guy. Even after having to leave the program, he still routinely checks in to see how I am doing and to chat/swap advice.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's true you can't. But the definition of a good diet is a lot looser than people think. You don't have to eat lean meat and rabbit food to have a good diet.
  • kgeyser
    Options

Oh noes, not my insulin levels!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think the "bad" diet is referring to too many calories. If you eat cheesecake and fries every day, it'll be really hard to burn more than you consume. How many posts have we seen that complain that they're working out, eating clean but still not losing. It's all about calories in calories out. Exercise alone isn't enough if you eat too much.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as clean or dirty food. But there IS such a thing as filling up on empty calories and then not being able to stop eating because your body is still demanding real food. Just make sure you actually give your body the fuel it needs and you will have little/no problem sticking to your calorie limit. That's the only reason people have a lot of success with so called clean diets. But there's not reason you can't have the occasional slice of cake if you can afford it ;)

Remember folks your soul needs feeding too. It takes it's nutrition from the fourth macro-nutrient. Which is called delicious. Make sure to get your fill of that too =)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

OP is correct but it's not about the types of food...and "bad diet" is probably not the best words...

In my context a "bad diet" would probably be one in which I put on unwanted pounds in the form of fat (as opposed to putting on a few extra pounds in the form of muscle) and that caused my blood sugar to climb. But yes, the term "bad diet" is subjective and ephemeral.

Thinking that the poster was referring to blood glucose levels, which some of us do have to worry about.

RHachicho, I took care of that fourth macro with some sugar-free vanilla ice cream with a dusting of cinnamon on it It wasn't capital A awesome like, say, chocolate lava cake . . . but then what is?
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I don't disagree with you, but the tone of your posts suggests the belief that eating "trans fats and processed sugars" is somehow going to destroy your physique. I eat dessert every day, which usually consists of a Magnum bar, Friendly's ice cream cup, single serving of Ben & Jerry's, etc.. Some days I'll have two (though I try not to). Yesterday I had 3 slices of pizza AND dessert. That said, my diet primarily consists of nutrient-rich foods; 15% or less comes from what I would qualify as junk food (sweets, fast food, etc.). My nightly indulgence in sweets and regular consumption of processed foods (e.g. wheat bread, jelly, frozen veggies in sauce X, etc.) hasn't swallowed up my six-pack, my energy levels are high, and my hormone levels (aside from the inevitably decreasing testosterone that comes with being 36) are just fine. So while I agree that a diet entirely composed of McDonald's and cookies is a surefire way to sabotage your health and fitness goals, I am absolutely certain that no one is going to burst into flames if they consume some sweets/processed foods.

Oh, absolutely- I eat dessert every day as well. The trick is moderation.

I just hate seeing people say that all calories are created equal when certain food are seriously destructive to your fitness.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Don't know who the dude is but I sure as hell disagree with your title.

I guess technically you can, but you'd spend so much time exercising that things like a job, family, and other hobbies would have to take a backseat.

Seems like an inefficient way to do things. I think I'd rather eat within my calorie goals in the first place, and be able to exercise within an hour.
  • kgeyser
    Options

In my context a "bad diet" would probably be one in which I put on unwanted pounds in the form of fat (as opposed to putting on a few extra pounds in the form of muscle) and that caused my blood sugar to climb. But yes, the term "bad diet" is subjective and ephemeral.

Thinking that the poster was referring to blood glucose levels, which some of us do have to worry about.

RHachicho, I took care of that fourth macro with some sugar-free vanilla ice cream with a dusting of cinnamon on it It wasn't capital A awesome like, say, chocolate lava cake . . . but then what is?

I know some people have to worry about blood glucose levels, I was referring to how whenever bad diets, sugar, or processed foods are brought up around here, the word insulin invariably gets bandied about as though we are all mere seconds away from going full-on Shelby ripping out her up-do in the beauty salon.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In, because this just seems so much different than all the rest of the arguments.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    from the Doctor and Fitness competitor's mouth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H2edyPLU8