Long distance runners

Options
CkepiJinx
CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
Question, I have been increasing my distance lately and went for a long run today, what do you do about water? I can't see running with a water bottle. But at six miles I needed a drink. I did 6.33 miles but I think I could have done more if I had some water. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Good question. I will be waiting for answers as well. I know I want to do a 9-miler in the next couple of weeks, and I know I will need some form of hydration and maybe even some food during the run. I did 7 miles today and it wasn't too bad today because it was not hot. But the other day I did 7 miles and felt like i could do more, like you said, but I was getting thirsty and needed water.

I'm training for a half-marathon and know we will need water during the run. Are there water stations during the run? I have not done a half marathon or marathon yet so that is why I ask.

Lately I've been doing ok. I just make sure I drink plenty of water ( by "plenty" I usually have 16 oz ) and then I drink more when I get done with the run. Depending on the heat and humidity I either have water or a Powerrade, or both.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    I also drink at least 16 oz before I leave and again when I get back.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with my Camelbak: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-Hydration-Backpack-70-Ounce/dp/B008Z6X6OI/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1399859084&sr=8-40&keywords=camelbak

I put a little moleskine on the few areas where I experienced a little chafing on the straps. Aside from that, really comfy to run with.

The first one I had was a fanny-pack style. I have so many scars on my back from that kind chafing.

I also love the little hand held straps with storage you can get for water bottles like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quick-Handheld-Hydration-Cabaret/dp/B009KRNNWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1399859307&sr=1-2&keywords=nathan+water+bottle

Perfect for packing nutrition gels and such.
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    I don't run... but couldn't you pick a route where you would get back to the beginning before you were done and leave some water there ? I've seen people do that on the trails around my house, duck in the bushes for a hidden bottle of water. Like two laps of the same route kind of thing, when you start the second lap stop for a drink? Or drive out before your run and leave yourself some water. You could even fill it full of ice so it would be cold when you get there.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    6 miles isn't long distance. If you are concerned drop water at points along the way.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The point where people need a sip or more is personal preference. On runs where I think I might need something to drink I wear either a small Camelbak or a hydration belt with two ten ounce bottles. There are also hand held bottles with a strap so you don't drop it.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a former fatty and now a marathoner. Ran 20 today. I rarely run with a water bottle because I run on trails that have lots of water stops. But, sometimes I stop off at stores nearby if I want to get a can of coffee or bottle of vitamin water. So, I might carry it with me a while while I continue my run. Trails with water stops are best.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 50K and my training runs are over 20 miles. My husband sets out water stops for me every 6 miles. They have Gatorade and water in them. I drink and then keep on going. I do have a water bottle with me though. I live in Mississippi and lose a lot of "water" through sweat. I need to replace electrolytes as I run or else I get into trouble.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Good question. I will be waiting for answers as well. I know I want to do a 9-miler in the next couple of weeks, and I know I will need some form of hydration and maybe even some food during the run. I did 7 miles today and it wasn't too bad today because it was not hot. But the other day I did 7 miles and felt like i could do more, like you said, but I was getting thirsty and needed water.

I'm training for a half-marathon and know we will need water during the run. Are there water stations during the run? I have not done a half marathon or marathon yet so that is why I ask.

Lately I've been doing ok. I just make sure I drink plenty of water ( by "plenty" I usually have 16 oz ) and then I drink more when I get done with the run. Depending on the heat and humidity I either have water or a Powerrade, or both.
    even 5ks have water. A half will have several hydration stations.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Question, I have been increasing my distance lately and went for a long run today, what do you do about water? I can't see running with a water bottle. But at six miles I needed a drink. I did 6.33 miles but I think I could have done more if I had some water. Thanks for any suggestions.
    how hot is it? I trained for a 10 mile run and didn't use water on my runs throughout the summer but I live in mn. It does get hot but I run in mornings or evenings. Over 10-12 miles I would probably need something to drink.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    6 miles IS long distance, there are no 2 ways about it….but a lot of people who train for events longer than 6 miles can easily run 6 miles without needing water. If you do need water, take some with you in a small hand held water bottle, or arrange to have some left during your route…or take some money with you and buy some form a convenience store/ petrol station.

I sincerely doubt you'd need to eat for a run this distance, though.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I plan my routes near parks or by the gym so I have access. I also tuck a few bucks in a pocket or my bra just in case... Hubby uses a belt/water bottle for runs over 10 with a place to refill the bottle about half way. Good luck!
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    6 miles IS long distance, there are no 2 ways about it….but a lot of people who train for events longer than 6 miles can easily run 6 miles without needing water. If you do need water, take some with you in a small hand held water bottle, or arrange to have some left during your route…or take some money with you and buy some form a convenience store/ petrol station.

I sincerely doubt you'd need to eat for a run this distance, though.
    its long but unless it's super hot most shouldn't need water. It's short in terms of time and compared to 20 mile runs.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I loop back to my car every 5ish miles and can get water if needed. Realistically, I wouldn't need water until more than 8 or 9 miles though I like small sips to keep my mouth moist. My husband otoh, can't run 5K without guzzling water. Have you thought about a hydration belt? I've also heard of people running with gum to keep their mouth moist but I've never tried it myself.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Take water with you. When I do any distance over 6 miles I make sure to take it with me or have a stop along my route I can hit up a water fountain, etc. You can find cheap running bottles that are shaped to form to your hand and have straps/pockets/etc. that make carrying them less of a pain (amphipod is my favorite brand of these, but Nathan makes some as well.) Find what works for you, but staying hydrated is important! I personally can't stand fuel belts/backpacks, but some of my other long distance buddies swear by them. If all else fails (or if all my bottles are dirty) I grab a regular water bottle and fill it half full-not so heavy to carry and I still have fluids with me. On extra long runs I'll place a cooler with iced water bottles mid-route. It's a lot of personal preference as well, but once you figure out what your body needs and responds to it'll be easier to decide how much water/fluids (or even if you need) to take anything with you on your runs. Happy running!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Loop back to your car/house (I stash small water bottles & gels in my mailbox when I run in the hood). So if you want to run 6 miles, go out 1½, go back & drink--that's 3 miles ... then repeat. Sometimes area running shoe stores sponsor long runs on weekends and provide water stops--check out their websites.

As for your races, there are water stops along the course (although my last ½ marathon ran out of water on the first stop, and other stops ran out of cups...it was an inaugural race though). The sponsor's website usually will post a race map and will either show the water stops or tell you something like, "there will be water stops at miles #3, 5, 7, etc."

I also dislike carrying water along on my runs...the sloshing is distracting. I try to 'camel up' about 3 days out from longer long-runs, as well as the races themselves, to make sure all my tissues are well-hydrated throughout.
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    I have a Camelback that holds 2-3lts of water as well as snacks etc...LOVE it...I dont have a problem with running with it on and I can run for hours at a time and not worry about water or anything.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Question, I have been increasing my distance lately and went for a long run today, what do you do about water? I can't see running with a water bottle. But at six miles I needed a drink.

Personally I have a fuel belt with two 500ml bottles and a pouch for gels, mine was made by The North face but there are plenty of options. Nathan is a pretty safe bet, equally Camelbak make a couple of different belt options.

For longer sessions, on the bike or something like that, I have a Camebak rucsac, but that's far bigger than you'd benefit from.

There's no rule book that says you should, or should not carry something, and as you get more experience you'll find that your traning threshold improves. When I started I carried, and finished, a bottle of water on a 3K session, now I can comfortably go out for 10-12Km without taking anything, although generally I would purely for the comfort perspective. I'm not going out to punish myself.

For a 10Km or more I'll generally fill one bottle with plan water and one with an electroblyte tablet like Hi5 or SIS Go Hydro. I eat a decent sized breakfast before those runs as well so I don't generally need to eat when I'm out, but again for more than 10K I'll carry a gel.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I am new to running and really enjoy it and want to keep improving my distance so these tips are helpful!
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i use a hydration belt for long runs... most of the time I just sip or dump water over my head... but I definitely need something as the temps go up, I just dry out because the way I breathe (I have asthma) tends to do that to me. Do whatever you are comfortable with, there is no right or wrong.. just listen to your body!