Long distance runners

Options

Replies

• Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I am going less than 10 I tuck a few jolly ranchers (hard candy) in the arm band that holds my music player. Sucking on that or a peppermint keeps my mouth moist and I don't require water until I'm finished. If it's over 10 I use a hydration belt and will take a pack of gels or energy beans with me.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I go:

under an hour running: nothing
    60-75: taking in carbs and fluid via gatorade half of the time, half without (training body)
    75+: both carbs and water/gatorade

I use a fuel belt. I have one with two bottles for races and those 60-75 min runs and then I have a 4 bottle for long runs. I like the belt because I can mix gels with water in the nathan bottles and use them like gel flasks.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Option #1 drop water at 2 and 4 miles. Last year I'd drop a bottle at my 2nd mile, same bush(almost), all summer. Option #2 http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/handhelds/quickshot I use this for longer runs this year; phone in one hand, Nathan in other hand. It is a great way to be guaranteed fluids, and avoid the embarrassment of looking like a nutjob when you forget which bush you placed the bottle close too; best of luck with the runs.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BTW

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/111-long-distance-runners

Is pretty good at answering any questions and discussing running stuff.

I always just run with a regular water bottle, I don't feel it hinders me in anyway, the problem I have is needing to pee, did 12miles yesterday and had to have a toilet stop :ohwell:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Depends upon the weather.

Here in the U.K I don't bother for any run of 10Km or less - over that, if it's hot (these things are all relative:tongue: ) I use my Camel Back (Hydration system) .

For an organised race - I carry nowt and use their stocks .. but again not for short distances.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a Camelbak Delany II, it's a belt system with a single 24-ounce water bottle and a couple pockets for holding random junk. I only take it on runs where I know I'll be gone for at least an hour.

My issue with the belt, and I've seen this in reviews for other belt systems, too, is that it moves around. A lot. Unless I synch it down tight and low on my hips, it will move. The first few runs, while I was figuring out how to wear it, it felt like I spent more time messing with the belt than I did getting in a good run.

The other option is to plan a route where you can leave a waterbottle hidden somewhere. Or pass by a water fountain.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I always bring a water bottle with me on long runs (or hot runs, when its 75+ degrees, and I'm going more than 2 miles). I have a Nathan waterbottle that has an over-the-hand handle as well as a little pouch that's perfect for a cell phone, or some mid-run fuel (I put GU or Shot Blox in there for my hour+ runs). I'm not sure they make my particular bottle anymore, but I have one similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quick-Handheld-Hydration-Black/dp/B009KQ8066/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1399902832&sr=8-6&keywords=nathan+water+bottle+running

My arm doesn't get too tired over long runs from holding it, and because you aren't gripping it, your hand doesn't really tire either. It's mostly comfortable, and way easier than trying to place waterbottles along a route or routing along water fountains.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The most important thing you can do is stay hydrated before and after the run. I never bring water with me (and I've got a half under my belt and regularly run 8-10 miles at a time), but I drink probably 80-100 ounces of water in a given day.

You can also plan your routes around where there are public water fountains (libraries, malls, etc.). Or make your route a loop and keep a water bottle at the beginning. Or drive the route beforehand and stash bottles in bushes for along the way.
  • pminchow
    pminchow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been training for my first half marathon and live outside of a town in Montana so not many water fountains in the country between farms. I'm not worried when running the half because there are water stations set up every 3-5 miles however there aren't any where I run while training:-), so I purchased the Nathan Speed 2R Auto-Cant for when I run around the country. I was a little worried about the extra weight while running but the belt fits snug and I really didn't notice the extra weight, and like others have said the little pocket in the front is nice for hold things (energy gel, phone, gum, whatever).
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have a Camelbak Delany II, it's a belt system with a single 24-ounce water bottle and a couple pockets for holding random junk. I only take it on runs where I know I'll be gone for at least an hour.

My issue with the belt, and I've seen this in reviews for other belt systems, too, is that it moves around. A lot. Unless I synch it down tight and low on my hips, it will move. The first few runs, while I was figuring out how to wear it, it felt like I spent more time messing with the belt than I did getting in a good run.

The other option is to plan a route where you can leave a waterbottle hidden somewhere. Or pass by a water fountain.

My camel back is an Octane XCT is low profile and cinches up tight - so no jiggle factor
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    For runs of less than two hours, I highly recommend the Amphipod Hyrdaform 20oz handheld bottle. It's so comfortable and has a zippered pocket for a key or a gel.
    http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds/hydraform-handheld-pocket

For long runs, I would use a pack with a reservoir. There are many and it really depends on your goals. I like the Ultimate Direction PB Adventure Vest 2.0. It has a 2 liter reservoir plus two 20oz bottles up front. Tons of storage too. Come race day, just take the reservoir out since the bottles will easily get to you to most aid stations depending on the race. It's a bit pricey, so you can always use any old Camelbak that is on sale.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Ultimate_Direction_PB_Adventure_Vest_20/descpage-UDPBAV2.html

Anyway, you WILL need to have a hydration plan if you go long, so plan! :o)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I prefer to pull a wagon behind me with assorted drinks, etc
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I never take water on any runs, I too hydrate before & after in my HM only drank one little cup of water & one Gatorade at the stops I find it hard to drink & run...now drink & drive much easier :)
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, so I'm sorry if you already got this one.

I drive zip lock bags of water out on my route and hide them. I like to use the bags because I can just put them in my waiste band and bring them home.

I'm in FL and will even freeze a half bag, then fill the rest with water before I drop them off.

I have nice cold water out there

;)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I prefer to pull a wagon behind me with assorted drinks, etc

Ha! There is actually an ultrarunner who lives near me and pushes a jogging stroller on his long runs to hold water / supplies. He is a male model so is super concerned about his skin. Even mid-summer he runs in long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. I can only imagine what sort of exfoliants/moisturizers he totes along in his stroller.
  • karamoran
    karamoran Posts: 4
    Options
    I either plan my route to put me near water at some point or I wear a hydration belt around my waist (with 4 little water bottles on it).
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS carry water if it occurs to me that I might want it. Depending on the race and conditions I will also carry my hydration pack. What can it ever hurt to be prepared during a training run? I also carry gu and SCAPS for runs over 90 minutes if it is hot.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    This saturday was the first long run of the season in high heat. I forgot to bring water. So I had to do a spontaneous re-route so I ran through the park much sooner than I planned so i could hit the water fountain. Luckily I had runtastic on my phone running and was able to readjust my route so i could still get my distance in.

But there are many ways to solve this. One, plan routes so you are near a water fountain at strategic points. Create loops near your house or car so you can fuel up midrun. For example, run a 3 mile route that ends up near your car, grab a quick drink, then repeat the route to end up at 6.

You can have a hydration belt where you carry the water around your waist. They also make waterbottles that are strapped around the knuckles of your hand and have a carrying pocket in the palm for your phone.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You can get a camel bak.

I can run 6.2 miles without needing a drink unless it's really hot like it's going to be today. but I have a Nathan speed 2 fuel belt so I have two water bottles I carry on my belt that I hardly notice while running. I find that when I pushed my run to 9 miles, I needed it, so in the near future I'm going to buy two add on water bottles to carry 4 bottles and since summer is coming, I'll need it regardless how far I run. it gets pretty warm for running in San Diego. plus I use them also to pour on me to keep me cool.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    bustedtees.440cff78-fea4-49e2-9b9e-14b41554.png